London AF public meeting

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
Molecatcher
Apr 4 2011 21:57

Just wonder what the ICC and their fellow travellers feel about been lumped together with "25-plus anarchists". Times would have had a conspiratorial field day if they'd ID'd them!

madashell's picture
madashell
Apr 5 2011 08:22
Joseph Kay wrote:
i mean the best defence is: (a) don't say anything in a public meeting you wouldn't want appearing in a paper and (b) just get on with doing our thing. we're class struggle anarchists interested in workplace/community organisation, not riot fetishists or urban-guerilla fantasists. Chris Knight/Charlie Veitch/etc will always make a more sensationalist story.

This, basically. That or we just pick someone at random from the meeting to blame and hold an anarcho-show trial wink

Harrison
Apr 5 2011 09:51
Molecatcher wrote:
Just wonder what the ICC and their fellow travellers feel about been lumped together with "25-plus anarchists". Times would have had a conspiratorial field day if they'd ID'd them!

teh anarchists r now friendz wit teh communists! oh noes!

International Communist Current would have looked great in print as a shadowy organisation.

i mean honestly, it is ridiculous how journalists turn up at open public meetings and then pretend it was a secret meeting that they rumbled

slothjabber
Apr 5 2011 09:53
Molecatcher wrote:

I think it's the Daily Mail that have it in for the ICC, or the 'sinister French Communists' as I believe they describe them.

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Apr 6 2011 00:23

Any idea who the journo was? I spoke to a good deal of the people afterwards, and alot of the attendees participated aswell.

Battlescarred
Apr 6 2011 09:39

Well, if we'd known who it was....!!!

Ellar's picture
Ellar
Apr 6 2011 09:54

Has anybody actaully been able to read the article?

playinghob's picture
playinghob
Apr 6 2011 15:57

I know this doesnt help at all but the article was signed by Fiona Hamilton and David Sanderson. If they both attended the meeting I have singled it down a couple in their late twenties. They were the only attendees who I didnt know, that is, apart from the student activists who spoke and who naturally introduced themselves. Not read the article yet as you have to pay for it!

rat's picture
rat
Apr 6 2011 17:10

Web search ‘Home of The Green Arrow’ or ‘isupporttheresistance.blogspot.com’
further down the web page under the picture of Nick Griffin there’s a ‘search this site’ box type ‘Fiona Hamilton and the BNP’.
There’s an article about a Times jorno with a slightly obscured snap of someone they’re ranting about, it maybe her?

Ellar's picture
Ellar
Apr 6 2011 17:48

Yes I remember a woman and man turned up late, sat at the back and didn't say a word throughout the meeting. They also didn't have dreadlocks and didn't smell of high grade so i'm sure they weren't anarchists wink

Battlescarred
Apr 6 2011 19:29

There were a young couple there, they are Greek and they're fine. Man has beard and longish hair. Do you mean them?

Battlescarred
Apr 6 2011 19:31

Yearzero, yes, it is the same Fiona Hamilton, the journo that the BNP hate with a vengeance.

Molecatcher
Apr 6 2011 19:58

The Greek couple, if I remember correctly, were sitting behind the two bald headed men dressed in black, I know because we spoke - the mystery couple, who arrived late, were right at the back.

Ellar's picture
Ellar
Apr 7 2011 23:20

There was talk at the meeting about having another forum like this soonish and keeping it open to people, if the next forum is organised wouldn't it be a good idea to directly contact and invite groups that have done good anti-cuts work so far but are not necessarily anarchist groups (obviously not to many because of the size of freedom). I'm mainly thinking about student anti-cuts groups who haven't got a particular political line or UKUncut? (maybe other suggestions)

I just think it's important that we reach out to people rather than waiting for them to come to us.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Apr 9 2011 09:02

UKUnCut definitely and then maybe trying to bring up a discussion of tactic--getting 'inside' the stores being 'uncut', linking up civil disobedience and workplace organisation, and moving the struggle toward generalised economic blockades and not simply targeting 'bad' capitalists.

Harrison
Apr 9 2011 09:28
Ellar wrote:
I'm mainly thinking about student anti-cuts groups who haven't got a particular political line or UKUncut? (maybe other suggestions)

I just think it's important that we reach out to people rather than waiting for them to come to us.

inviting UKUncut would be a good idea
you might want stress AF's commitment to organising (i think some - not all - have an impression that anarchists are solely those who go on black blocs. at least this is the feeling i got from a meeting recently)

plus the media is working overtime to try and get UKUncut to condemn 'violence', and it seems a contentious issue within UKUncut, so it would be really good to link up with them before they form an anti-anarchist viewpoint

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Apr 9 2011 09:50
Quote:
plus the media is working overtime to try and get UKUncut to condemn 'violence', and it seems a contentious issue within UKUncut, so it would be really good to link up with them before they form an anti-anarchist viewpoint

I think that conversation has already been started!

http://solfed.org.uk/?q=a-letter-to-uk-uncutters-from-the-violent-minority

And that UKUnCut woman on BBC didn't take the bait either.

madashell's picture
madashell
Apr 9 2011 10:20

Brighton UK Uncut published a fairly encouraging reply.

gypsy
Apr 9 2011 10:27
Battlescarred wrote:
This is what one of the sleazy lying journos emailed us previously
" am a reporter at the Times but please read on.

I am trying to understand the forces behind Saturday’s march and indeed previous demonstrations across the country in protest at the Tory cuts. In particular, I am interested in the concept of black bloc and how this becomes an effective protesting tactic given the disparate groups and individuals involved.

I do work for what can be fairly called the establishment media but I am not interested in throwing mud or misrepresenting. I just want to understand the context around protests.

If anyone is willing to have a talk, in complete confidence if preferable, then please get in touch on 020 7782 5924 or to the above email.

David "

Arseholes. Public meetings always run the risk of this, ultimately there is nothing we can do to stop this. Has this type of thing happened before in public AF meetings in the past? (I know you have been around alot longer than most of us wink ) The press seem to be having a field day with anarchists recently- probably as they are not allowed to phone hack these days. Hopefully they will get bored and write about something else soon.

Jim Clarke's picture
Jim Clarke
Apr 11 2011 10:58

The Times paywall is currently down.

Alf's picture
Alf
Apr 12 2011 20:02

It was in any case astute of Battlescarred to ask professional journalists to leave. Of course some of them can be won over.

A very promising meeting, I would say. The level of discussion was very high, and there seemed to be a clear desire to open this initiative out more widely. Some interesting discussions in the pub afterwards as well. Raw confessed his secret identity to me - and I hadn't realised it was him prior to that. Not altogether antagonistic discussion about the Black Bloc, which I will come back to somewhere else. Also talked to Playinghob and Blackrainbow, partisans of class struggle forums.