anarchist groups in the northwest?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
RedTillIDie
Jun 8 2009 23:38
anarchist groups in the northwest?

Is anyone else sick of the lack of anti-faschist anarchist movements in the northwest/lancashire area?

Because quite frankly I am, now I know I can't be the only one who opposes fashism in an action first kind of way.

So I'm asking, not just for myself but for everyone in the northwest

If you see this post and agree with it ad you live in the northwest respond asap

Something needs to be done!

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Jun 8 2009 23:55

There's AF in the north.

RedTillIDie
Jun 9 2009 07:10

Yet you still don't hear of anything being done

I'm starting to think everyone in the north either doesn't care enough to do something, likes faschism or claims anarchy on forums.

And clearly my attempts to get people off the bench are useless without a little effort from them themselves

Farce's picture
Farce
Jun 9 2009 13:57

Well, I don't think it's entirely fair to say that there's no militant anti-fascists in the north-west...

RedTillIDie
Jun 9 2009 15:23

I mean organized, and known, maybe if a specific group claimed responsibility or this attack the rest of us would have a bit of hope.

As it is I, personally, have none. However the more I search the more people I keep finding who are interested in joining a group round here that actually do anything.

By the way if anyone is interested in making a genuine difference and not just loud mouthing don't hesitate to contact me, we have a decent number of members and are very organized.

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Jun 9 2009 15:39

Theres a group of Solidarity Federation members in Preston.

cantdocartwheels's picture
cantdocartwheels
Jun 10 2009 06:49
Quote:
I mean organized, and known, maybe if a specific group claimed responsibility or this attack the rest of us would have a bit of hope.

Don;t be silly, no-ones going to claim responsibility for attacking someone wiyth a hammer, that would just be nuts.

Quote:
As it is I, personally, have none. However the more I search the more people I keep finding who are interested in joining a group round here that actually do anything.

If you've got a group/branch of 10-20 members who can each offer about 5-10 hours a week max and pay subs of between £5 and £10 a month, then what is it exactly that you want a group to do?

RedTillIDie
Jun 10 2009 06:54

More often than not it would be hand out leaflets and spread the word among people about what we do and why the faschist BNP should be ignored. And when the oppourtunity arises naturally protests and direct action between us the BNP members and any group or individual offering money or funding them in some way

cantdocartwheels's picture
cantdocartwheels
Jun 10 2009 07:42
RedTillIDie wrote:
More often than not it would be hand out leaflets and spread the word among people about what we do and why the faschist BNP should be ignored. And when the oppourtunity arises naturally protests and direct action between us the BNP members and any group or individual offering money or funding them in some way

I'm pretty sure said groups do hand out anti-fash liteature from time to time. A brief look through AF's literature http://www.afed.org.uk/res/ shows they talk about the BNP a fair bit in their general publications. The same can be said for solfed though generally articles like that would be found in our mag ( http://www.direct-action.org.uk/ ) rather than our freesheet.
I can't speak for said northern groups but i'm pretty sure they do other seperate anti-fash stuff when neccesary. Your not going to get a list of specific instances where they did stuff for fairly obvious reasons.

Point is though if you spend all your time doing anti-fascism you aren;t providing anyone with an alternative. So its all still a matter of available time. I mean if you work 35 hours a week, you've realistically got one or maybe two evenings to spare a week and maybe every other saturday, and thats at a pretty high level of activity. Combine that with say another few hours of writing time for leaflets, mags, websites etc and thats about the limit anyone can give. If you spent all that time leafleting about the BNP then you would literally do nothing else.
So sure you should do anti-BNP stuff when necessary but making it the focus of your activities is pointless. It won;t stop the BNP polling a few % in elections, it won;t provide anyone with an alternative to the BNP and its massively overestimating them, since they are a fringe group who will never gain any real power.

Django's picture
Django
Jun 10 2009 07:56

The stuff we've done in manchester has tended to be anti-racist/anti-deportation stuff with No Borders, rather than specifically anti-fascist organising, though there were a few members at the Town Hall protest against the BNP. I don't think theres 100% agreement internally about fascism and what activity is appropriate to counter it, which is healthy (see Organise! issue 70 for different viewpoints). It certainly hasn't stopped comrades from doing militant stuff if they see fit.

Farce's picture
Farce
Jun 10 2009 09:19
RedTillIDie wrote:

I think it's inevitably going to be a problem that any group that does a lot of direct action against fascists is gonna be wary of requests for information from strangers off the internet. Still, you could try getting in touch with antifa and ask if they've got any presence round your way. I do agree with what cantdo says about how anarchism needs to be about more than just anti-fascism, tho.

RedTillIDie
Jun 10 2009 15:38

I totally agree bout that too

The term anti fascism on it's own isn't enough. More people should say anti prejudice or something like that.

Also thanks a lot for all the responses I've got it pretty much covered now.

I have every night a week free as well as all day every weekend. Like I said before I do literature and propaganda as well as direct action there are around 15 of us at the moment but if you or anyone you know want a militant group that also peacefully work towards change point them in our direction. Every member is an anarcho-communist and we're happy to send anyone an information pack. Just send me a message on here about it.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jun 11 2009 08:30

Yes, I too would advise people to be wary about this poster. They look very suspect, especially claiming to have a group already - if it is true why not give us a link to your website or something?

That and the apparent inability to spell "fascist"

knightrose
Jun 11 2009 11:31

I suspect I know the poster. Probably ex-AF.

RedTillIDie
Jun 11 2009 17:06

I am using an iPod touch that's why I can't spell

We are a new group and do not have a website, nor do we want one because we have no interest in mass recruitment at this stage.

Trust me or don't trust me. I don't know you or want to know you, all I'm trying to do is make a difference.

Red is the colour of anger, passion, and revolution. That's why I use that colour so calling me a fascist won't help anything, dude.

I'm neither in the AF nor have I ever been in the AF. I'm 17 for christs sake an I'm trying to make a difference so posting ludicrous accusations and comments is just a waste of everyones time.

knightrose
Jun 12 2009 07:09

Sorry Red - you sounded like a mate of mine who left the AF. It was actually meant to be a recommendation, not an attack! Try sending us an email at manchester[at]af-north.org. We'll not waste our time with random physical attacks on people, but we are interested in spreading the kind of ideas that make the fash irrelevant.

RedTillIDie
Jun 12 2009 21:25

Ah! By apologies knightrose
Currently receiving an info pack from AF soon hopefully I like what I saw on the site

robbieBAYAREATHRASH's picture
robbieBAYAREATHRASH
Jun 21 2009 13:19

hey, the group that mainly functions in Preston is the Disobey! group - http://disobey-afp.blogspot.com/

Recently the actions have been based around the University's involvement in the Arms Trade, there was a rooftop protest a few months ago and some demos. Recently things have been slow due to work and uni, but things are starting to pick up again. I'm sure many of us are happy to be involved with anti-fascism.