Anarcho-syndicalist book available

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
akai
Dec 22 2009 23:23
Anarcho-syndicalist book available

There is an English publication of Anarcho-Syndicalism in the 20th century by Vadim Damier. http://www.revolutionbythebook.akpress.org/anarcho-syndicalism-in-the-20th-century%E2%80%94a-new-book-from-black-cat-press/

It is a very good publication for people first interested in the topic. Vadim's 2 volume history of the IWA is very good, but I am afraid that won't be out in English for some time. (Thick book.)

I found this book rather good for basic information, so I recommend people who have organizational libraries pick it up.

We found it worthwile to translate into Polish - hopefully out in January.

syndicalist
Dec 23 2009 01:01

I am about 2/3 thru it. I'd concur with Akai.

I'd also encourage comrades to buy the book and support the good comrades who work at Black Cat Press.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Dec 29 2009 13:10

is this available in the UK? the AK US site has $14 postage and doesn't take paypal/debit cards

syndicalist
Dec 29 2009 13:39

Email Malcolm at info@blackcatpress.ca It takes about a day or so for them to reply. Solid comrades.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Dec 29 2009 15:08

Cheers, i've dropped them an email

syndicalist
Dec 29 2009 20:31

the book is pretty decent enough. i plan on doing a book review when i finish up. i'm familiar with a lot of the sources and have read many of them, so i get a decent enoug feel for what he's saying.

Most already informed anarcho-syndicalist libcom readers would find, I think, the following chapters and/or section's of interest:

Quote:
PART TWO Anarcho-syndicalism
The Revolutionary Years
From Revolutionary-Syndicalism to Anarcho-syndicalism
The World Anarcho-syndicalist Movement in the 1920’s and 1930’s
Ideological-Theoretical Discussions in Anarcho-syndicalism in the 1920’s and 1930’s

PART THREE ...
Libertarian Communism or Antifascist Unity?

Notwithstanding “Circumstances”
The Spanish Revolution and World Anarcho-syndicalism

PART FOUR Decline and Possible Regeneration
Anarcho-syndicalism During the Second World War
Bibliographic Essay

Vadim approaches his history and perspectives from a sort of FORAista anarchist-communism (he uses "anarcho-communism"). So this adds a bit of pepper to the outlook.

As I usually do, I seem to read in a yiddish manner, from left to right, so I actually read the last chapters first. I was disappointed in the "Anarcho-syndicalism After World War II" chapter. Not for what it says, but for what it doesn't.

On the overall, I think most folks looking for a short, well written and well document book on the IWA (from a pro-IWA perspective) will generally be satisfied with the book.

BTW, another valuable book worth a read, also published by Black Cat Press, is The International Anarchist Congress of Amsterdam (1907) ANTONIOLI, Maurizio (ed.)
English edition and translation by Nestor McNab http://raforum.info/spip.php?article5713&lang=fr Some anarcho-syndicalists may not agree with the editor's intro comments, as he editor takes a "dual organizational" approach. This is reflected in his introduction. The book itself has great merit and is one of those "hidden treasures" for history geeks such as myself. The book gives a good feel for the movement in the very early years of the 1900s. Much push and pull and debate. Much flavor as to the state of the movement and debates. Of note, the discussions and presentations on the Russian Revolution of 1905.

akai
Dec 29 2009 21:52

Vadim has done a much more in-depth, two-volume history of the IWA. But this only goes to 1939. I think he just personally didn't write an in-depth study of the later years and since this book was in some ways a shortened, more accessible version of this longer history, the post WW2 part was no doubt added on to get it up to date, but without the thought put into the earlier history.

syndicalist
Dec 30 2009 13:25
akai wrote:
Vadim has done a much more in-depth, two-volume history of the IWA. But this only goes to 1939. I think he just personally didn't write an in-depth study of the later years and since this book was in some ways a shortened, more accessible version of this longer history, the post WW2 part was no doubt added on to get it up to date, but without the thought put into the earlier history.

This may well be true, but he does talk about the IWA in the 1970s and 1980s. A read of this section is almost like a read of CNT cheer-leading, with things ending with the valiant Puerto Real struggle. But he does make an abbriviated effort in discussing the post war years. So, I think he could've tied it up better, even in an abbreviated fashion.

Whatever criticisms I may have of the book, ther are offered in a comradely and non-hostile manner.

akai
Dec 30 2009 06:58

I have no problems with this positive attitude towards the CNT.

Of course few books are structurally perfect and the ending could have been better.

But there is a lot of interesting stuff here, so this outways some minor flaws.

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Dec 30 2009 07:12

My only complaint was his hostile description of platformism. Also, not a lot on the later years....I've learned more about 1970-2000s from threads on here.

Otherwise, good small book and I'm glad I bought it.

syndicalist
Dec 30 2009 13:28
akai wrote:
I have no problems with this positive attitude towards the CNT.

Of course few books are structurally perfect and the ending could have been better.

But there is a lot of interesting stuff here, so this outways some minor flaws.

Akai, I offer my criticisms in a constructive manner. You may not agree with them and that's cool. I thik the book has much too offer, but there are flaws. I think the flaws would be more for the uninformed reader then someone who's either in the IWA or close to it.

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Apr 26 2010 07:50

Probably gonna read this again, anymore of ya'll get through it yet?

Jared
Apr 27 2010 00:21

Yeah I just read it too. I found the information on the theoretical debates within the IWA really interesting, such as the FORA position, as well as the transition from Revolutionary Syndicalism to Anarcho-Syndicalism and their tactical / ideological differences.

Criticisms: agree with some of the posts above about content after WW2. Also my copy had a chapter in the wrong place (bibliography essay before the Russian Chapter) and would have been cool to have a bibliography listed. Footnotes are good though.

I know there's some info in Spanish on FORA but does anyone know of more info on them in English (apart from the zine here on Libcom)?

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Apr 26 2010 23:59

Did you see this?

Jared
Apr 27 2010 00:21
Quote:
Did you see this?

Yeah I have, thanks though. I'm really keen on reading more about the FORA's positions/ideology. Damier's book was the first time I'd read the variations in one place.

Spassmaschine
Apr 27 2010 00:23

http://libcom.org/tags/FORA

Jared
Apr 27 2010 00:34

Thanks. Here's the links from Wiki:

Quote:
El anarquismo en el movimiento obrero, (Anarchism in the Labour Movement), (with Emilio López Arango), Barcelona: Ed. Cosmos, 1925
El movimiento anarquista en la Argentina: desde sus comienzos hasta el año 1910, (The Anarchist Movement in Argentina: From Its Beginnings to 1910), Buenos Aires: Ed. Argonauta, 1930
(Spanish) La F.O.R.A.: ideología y trayectoria del movimiento obrero revolucionario en la Argentina, The Ideology of FORA and Trajectory of the Revolutionary Labour Movement in Argentina, Buenos Aires: Nervio, 1933

Would be great to read any more writing by Emilio López Arango. Sounds like he contributed a lot of the theory to FORA. He has a wiki page too: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emilio_López_Arango
(need to translate it)

OliverTwister's picture
OliverTwister
Apr 27 2010 06:23

I'm currently reading this. I'm interested in translating El Anarquismo en el Movimiento Obrero but I may translate some CNT-related stuff first, as it is their centenary this year.

Jared
Apr 28 2010 00:31
Quote:
I'm interested in translating El Anarquismo en el Movimiento Obrero but I may translate some CNT-related stuff first, as it is their centenary this year.

Awesome! Feel like translating La FORA while your at it...

Jared
Jun 7 2010 03:28

I've just reviewed this book here: http://libcom.org/library/anarcho-syndicalism-20th-century-review

Jared