6.30 - 8.30
Quaker Meeting House
38 Elmbank Cres
(opposite Charing Cross Station)
Glasgow
G2 4PS

Free entry - all welcome.

Marina Sitrin will be reading from her book,
Horizontalism: Voices of Popular Power in Argentina.
published by AK Press.

December 2001 marked the beginning of a popular rebellion in Argentina. After IMF policies led to economic meltdown millions of Argentineans poured into the streets to protest the freezing of their bank accounts, the devaluing of their currency and the bankruptcy of their state. This rebellion - of workers and the unemployed, of the middle class and the recently declassed - erupted without leadership or hierarchy. Political parties and newly emerged élites had no role in the movement that toppled five consecutive national governments in just two weeks.The social movements that exploded in Argentina that December not only transformed the fabric of Argentine society but also highlighted the possibility of a genuinely democratic alternative to global capital.
Horizontalism: Voices of Popular Power in Argentina is the story of those movements, as told by the men and women who are building them. Come and hear from the people who created the neighbourhood assemblies involving tens of thousands of active participants, who occupied the hundreds of factories run directly by workers.

Another world is possible!

...this event is co-hosted by

AK Press - www.akuk.com
City Strolls - www.citystrolls.com
Praxis (Glasgow) - www.praxisglasgow.wordpress.com
RIB - www.ribproject.org

Lone Wolf's picture
Lone Wolf
Oct 1 2007 02:47

afraser

I should be going to this so hope to see you there. tongue

Love

LW XX

louis lingg
Oct 8 2007 08:30

It was a great evening...

Lone Wolf's picture
Lone Wolf
Oct 9 2007 22:43

It was indeed an amazing evening - the talk was truly inspiring and its author charm itself.. smile Am so gonna buy that book!

afraser you don't know it but you sat next to me - you sneezed a lot and i think you gave me your cold - thanks for that! no wonder you left early - atishoooo! wink

louis were you at the pub after?

Great to meet Ginger and Dundee - and Bodach t' following day at welshboy's.

I liked Glagow! tongue

Love

LW XX

tigersiskillers
Oct 10 2007 22:00

The book's great.

Does anyone know if she's speaking anywhere else? No offence to Glasgow, but it seems a long way to come and just speak in one city...

Lone Wolf's picture
Lone Wolf
Oct 10 2007 23:20
tigersiskillers wrote:
The book's great.

Does anyone know if she's speaking anywhere else? No offence to Glasgow, but it seems a long way to come and just speak in one city...

Glasgow is worth it!! I am emailing the author soon - i will ask. I made sure i got her email addy - she is quite the inspiration!

MalFunction
Oct 11 2007 07:35

anyone fancy writing up an account of the evening for Freedom?

(or other publication of your choice?)

antrophe
Oct 11 2007 08:20

How was Sitrin in terms of the decline of the popular movement? Horizontalism and movements along those lines in Argentina seem to have taken quite a beating in the past few years with the Kirchner governments consolidation and pacification of more middle class/urban aspects of the movement, I mean there's meant to be just 23 assemblies in BA now when there was like nearly 200 back then.

Lone Wolf's picture
Lone Wolf
Oct 11 2007 15:32
antrophe wrote:
How was Sitrin in terms of the decline of the popular movement? Horizontalism and movements along those lines in Argentina seem to have taken quite a beating in the past few years with the Kirchner governments consolidation and pacification of more middle class/urban aspects of the movement, I mean there's meant to be just 23 assemblies in BA now when there was like nearly 200 back then.

That was my question from the floor! tongue

Tho i used the wording "what it is the situation now" as opposed to using the word decline wink to keep the mood positive and upbeat as befitted the style of the evening and impact and beliefs of the speaker.

Yeas you are right about the decline of the assemblies due to the re-encroachment of the state; however Sitrin preferred to be positive and say it is good that there are still some at all. She explained that whether or not the remaining assemblies receive any State funding in term of hall hire or food parcels etc varies depending on the situation and locale of each assembly. These are obviously less free in their decision-making because of this State presence but there are still assemblies free of any State intervention at all but obv. they struggle more financially and practically.

She said however that there has been an slow but steady increase in the amount of recuperated workplaces since 2001/2002.

Love

LW XX

Lone Wolf's picture
Lone Wolf
Oct 11 2007 15:36
MalFunction wrote:
anyone fancy writing up an account of the evening for Freedom?

(or other publication of your choice?)

Other publication of my choice? OK then i will write it for the Spectator. wink

Yeah i could do this! tongue Plus i will check in with a couple of comrades who were also there first. Any idea of the deadlines for Freedom and the Spectator? smile Save me having to look it up.

Love

LW XX