Election Meltdown Mobilisation - Sat 30 & Sun 31 Jan 10 - London

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
dalinian's picture
dalinian
Jan 27 2010 15:56
Election Meltdown Mobilisation - Sat 30 & Sun 31 Jan 10 - London

• You are cordially invited to attend..
• An open-ended meeting, arranged so people can consider how a coalition of groups and tendencies might mobilise together in 2010, for a new society. It's suggested this should be in the context of the general election, and on the strategy for an effective, decentralised movement in response, but the agenda is not fixed. All groups and individuals committed to a world free of oppression, very welcome.
• And please forward this invitation to key networks.

• Saturday 30 and Sunday 31 January, 15:00-19:00 on both days
• Downstairs at The Foundry, Old Street tube (exit 3), 80 Great Eastern Street, London, EC2A 3JL‎

» Location: Map
» Phone Contact: 07 854 390 408
» Queries: email – crdlondon@gmail.com
» Election Meltdown on Facebook
» Election Meltdown Mobilisation: Facebook Event

Caiman del Barrio
Jan 27 2010 16:42

I'm sorry, but who the fuck wants to spent 8 hours of a January weekend hanging out in the fucking Foundry? What a load of pointless scenester bullshit.

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Jan 28 2010 01:17

Flopsy Knight...

dalinian's picture
dalinian
Jan 28 2010 10:21
Quote:
I'm sorry, but who the fuck wants to spent 8 hours of a January weekend hanging out in the fucking Foundry? What a load of pointless scenester bullshit.

Apology accepted.

So I guess you don't want to, and I very much doubt most folks who do contribute something positive will be there for the whole time suggested. But I do have to wonder – why do you react negatively with such venom and anger?

I wasn't well enough to be involved in organising the G20 Meltdown protests that rocked the streets of London last year, but I'm told by trusted comrades who were that getting tens of thousands of people into action began with this kind of initiative, on a similar timescale. Or was that just "pointless scenester bullshit" too?

Fletcher
Jan 28 2010 10:23
dalinian wrote:
Or was that just "pointless scenester bullshit" too?

Yes it was.

dalinian's picture
dalinian
Jan 28 2010 12:19

So are there non-"pointless scenester bullshit" initiatives (that you WOULD recommend) to help build an oppositional anti-capitalist direct action pole-of-attraction to the capitalist dictatorship's "Democratic Circus" in spring 2010?

Or is carping from the sidelines the stock-in-trade for frequent libcom posters?

420x

Caiman del Barrio
Jan 28 2010 15:44

It really is an apt demonstration of the weakness and self-serving nature of these kinda activities that their only response to criticism is to accuse their critics of "doing nothing". It's a disingenuous, dishonest accusation, since usually, the person making it doesn't even know who s/he's referring to.

And actually, as concerns your assertion that most G20 marchers were mobilised by meetings in horrible, freezing fucking cold, hipster dens in fucking Shahdish - independently of discussing the worth of the G20 media setpiece - is equal in its patent disingenuity. The mainstream media promoted April 1st way better than London's joke of activististsitist clique could ever wish.

dalinian's picture
dalinian
Jan 28 2010 16:30

I wouldn't expect you to let a light-hearted false dichotomy go unchallenged – rest assured, your rude, aggressive, withering mockery skills are beyond reproach! groucho

But didn't you notice what I asked first? Or to put it another way, as an open-hearted invitation to accentuate the positive:

Which initiative(s) do YOU recommend to help turn revolutionary anti-capitalist ideas into collective political actions in 2010?

Caiman del Barrio
Jan 28 2010 16:36

http://libcom.org/organise

dalinian's picture
dalinian
Jan 28 2010 18:48

Thanks, Caiman – that's one fully loaded and extremely useful toolkit you recommended there, with plenty for myself and other comrades to assimilate and put to good use. Nice one: I well appreciate its general applicability. cool

But specifically, on Thu 06 May 2010 in the UK, as the capitalist dictatorship's "Democratic Circus" revs up to fever pitch, we have an opportunity to take advantage of the heightened sense of political awareness to draw currently unpoliticised folk towards an oppositional anti-capitalist direct action pole-of-attraction. We can co-create ways to exercise our collective political power directly and perpetually, rather than surrendering it to a bosses' lackey politician every few years. So are there any particular and specific initiative(s) YOU do recommend to make best use of this opportunity?

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jan 28 2010 19:06

what's "collective political power", a G20 style protest? since you're asking for specifics, what do you understand by the term 'direct action' used in the prop ? I mean G20 Meltdown was every bit as spectacular as the summit it protested...

Workers have already been exercising their power at Visteon, Brighton & Leeds bins, Lewisham Bridge school... but this has little to do with "political power", G20-style spectacular mobilisations or mammoth never-ending politico meetings, it's about people organising in their workplaces and communities to assert their interests. if you want particulars, things like fighting cuts in your workplace, joining or initiating local anti-benefits cuts initiatives and seeking to make links between different groups of workers in struggle (e.g. through public meetings, marches) etc. 'direct action' abstracted from everyday class struggle is just an empty slogan, and often a fig leaf for self-referential activist 'mobilisations.'

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jan 28 2010 19:07

people please remember this is a no flaming forum.

Yorkie Bar
Jan 28 2010 19:34
Quote:
Thu 06 May 2010

Doing it wrong. wink

Spikymike
Jan 28 2010 20:12

I don't know anything about the originators of this 'initiative' or what the 'foundary' is.

Generally agree with the approach in Joseph's response (the only useful one really so far) but since we will not actually be able to ignore the blasted election this debate will go ahead in various parts of the pro-revolutionary and radical scene in the UK anyway and it does no harm to exercise it on Libcom again even if that does irritate some of us at times.

I think this will come up at the Manchester Class Struggle Forum as well so I am interested in what responses/or non people might decide on.

tigersiskillers
Jan 29 2010 02:20

I'm not sure what the 'opportunity' actually is, so I think the call for 'particular' or 'specific' initiatives is misplaced. Maybe some decent prop, but putting together something that says 'They're all fucking toffs, fuck 'em' is worse than doing nothing. And as others have said, a G20 style mobilisation is nothing more than a dull day out being shoved around by police and surrounded by twats. Trying to conjour something out of thin air is pointless.

Edit: I shouldn't have said twats, more like people I have little in common with politically, some of whom I find annoying.