DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

ICC Public Meeting: 2pm, Saturday 22 September, International revival of workers’ struggles

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alf's picture
Alf
Aug 30 2007 21:38
ICC Public Meeting: 2pm, Saturday 22 September, International revival of workers’ struggles

Conway Hall, Red Lion Square, London WC1

The postal strike in the UK and the impending disputes in other parts of the public sector are part of an international revival of workers’ struggle which has been gathering pace over the last three or four years. In this period we have seen a number of significant movements: the struggles against the CPE in France, massive strikes by garment workers in Bangladesh and textile workers in Egypt, general assemblies organised by Spanish steelworkers, spontaneous walk-outs by Airbus workers in Britain, France and Germany, strikes by Peruvian miners, Argentine transport workers, Brazilian bank workers... Still very much on the defensive faced with growing attacks on workers’ living standards, these struggles – particularly when they have raised the question of class solidarity and the necessity for independence from the trade unions – contain the promise of much more massive and political struggles in the future. This meeting will focus on trying to understand the dynamic of these movements and the role that revolutionaries and militant workers can play within them. All welcome

Demogorgon303's picture
Demogorgon303
Sep 15 2007 11:38

Will any of you libcommers be coming to this? I'm going to making one of my rare trips to London for this and it would be great to meet some of my favourite sparring partners!

I think the effort made with Dispatch has particular relevance to the discussion about the role of revolutionaries.

Alf's picture
Alf
Sep 15 2007 12:30

Catch expressed definite interest but is tied up - it would certainly be good if anyone else involved in the Dispatch iniitiative could come

syndicalist
Sep 15 2007 12:50

Well, I won't be able to fly over, but I suspect the substance of this forum will be published, yes?

Alf's picture
Alf
Sep 15 2007 21:23

Yes!

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Sep 18 2007 09:50

I'd like to have a look at that too. I'll come over if the ICC pays travel expenses smile

You might want to put in the wildcat strikes in Canada, as well.

si
Sep 18 2007 12:51

maybe

syndicalist
Nov 2 2007 06:26

Was the text of this presentation published?

Demogorgon303's picture
Demogorgon303
Nov 2 2007 08:20

They didn't publish the text, but they did do a short report in World Revolution here.