Transphobia at the London Anarchist Bookfair 2017

487 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sadie
Jun 14 2018 18:22
Noah Fence wrote:
Sadie wrote:
Fucking lol. We’re onto the Soros conspiracy theories now are we? Why not go the whole hog like Helen Steel and accuse the transgenders of being in the pay of MI5 and (((bankers)))

You mean they’re not? Holy shit! Next you’ll be telling me they’re regular people just trying to get on with their lives! You won’t my pull the wool over my eyes though!

I mean I’m an agent of the Knights Templar on a mission to do something involving a Holy Grail full of pickles qnd Oestradiol Valerate but I’m not really supposed to talk about it.

jospanner's picture
jospanner
Jun 14 2018 18:57

i love it when the anarchy men discuss my rights

dark_ether's picture
dark_ether
Jun 14 2018 23:31

Also from that 'on uncommon ground' post:

Quote:
It’s the mental gymnastics demanded by ‘trans women are women’ that has been giving us a headache ever since we first heard the phrase in the aftermath of the London Anarchist Bookfair. If we question the gender roles that are imposed upon us, then obviously we also question the notion that women and men have innate differences in their psychological make up. That means rejecting the binary notions of gender demanded of us by patriarchy.

Like, it appears to them to be mental gymnastics. They are confused. Confused is fine. Not getting it is fine. Having questions is fine. There's a lot of stuff around what gender is, a lot of it is contextual (are we talking individual, society, gender roles, the interplay of those, etc). I totally get that. I get confused sometimes. It's just when I do, I either go away and quietly read/watch/listen/think about a subject, or ask those who seem more clued up than me (especially those with lived experiences, if they're up for that). Beyond that, I might just trust the judgement of the vast majority of my comrades with said lived experience.

If I'm confused about how to approach the issue of trans gender people from an anarchist perspective, I would, for example go: hmm maybe if 90%+ of trans gender anarchists I know support the same rough view, that's probably the right one. So I should support them in whatever that direction of action is, or at worst sit down, shut up and stay out of it while I learn more.

What I don't do, is go, "This confuses me. Therefore it might be wrong. Therefore I will loudly proclaim that you all MIGHT be wrong, I shall write out my important thoughts about you maybe being wrong. Also because this shouldn't be the case (trusting in the consensus of anarchist comrades for the most part), I will talk about how you must all be either: Soros Funded, Confused by Liberalism, or Unreasonably Angry at people who I will take at their word are 'feminists with valid questions who have done no wrong'. I still don't know WHY all these trans anarchists, and many many of their cis anarchist comrades are attacking these (according to their own accounts) lovely feminists. I for some reason am not at all questioning the 'lovely feminists' bit, even though many of those coming into conflict with anarchists and trans people are green party, labour, or even people who assoicate with religious fundementalists, tories, right wing press and far right fan bois. This isn't the bit that needs questioning though, it is those darn confusing trans women".

Because that would be ludicrous.

It's depressing, cuz that blog (I met one of the authors last month), has been putting various statements up and down, and trying to work things out, been deleting old posts, or reposting them which all suggests... yeah, they are genuinely confused. Doesn't excuse linking to Soros conspiracy BS, and taking TERFs at their word whilst challenging trans people and anarchists at theirs.

Spikymike
Jun 15 2018 09:14

You mean libcom posters don't write up stuff here that is confused and sometimes plain wrong!
I give credit for a level of honesty and transparency to the 'onuncommonground' posters even though I don't share all their views or level of confusion on this or some other issues. They do at least move outside of the anarchist political bubble. They probably won't thank me for posting the link to their blog but remember to treat them with some respect for all their efforts and not just any problems that they have the honesty to express on this issue.

Sadie
Jun 15 2018 09:26

They’re spreading conspiracy theories about us being pawns of a sinister (totally coincidentally Jewish) billionaire because we want to use the bog without getting pestered Mike. I think we're allowed a bit of snark.

Like why is it that every rich liberal who slings a bit of money at Mermaids or something is proof that trans people are part of some grand bourgeois conspiracy but nobody ever talks about how Rupert Murdoch’s papers are awful keen on introducing this ridiculous culture wars bullshit about trans people to UK political discourse?

radicalgraffiti
Jun 15 2018 12:00
Spikymike wrote:
You mean libcom posters don't write up stuff here that is confused and sometimes plain wrong!
I give credit for a level of honesty and transparency to the 'onuncommonground' posters even though I don't share all their views or level of confusion on this or some other issues. They do at least move outside of the anarchist political bubble. They probably won't thank me for posting the link to their blog but remember to treat them with some respect for all their efforts and not just any problems that they have the honesty to express on this issue.

at best they are using a liberal "both sides" framework, at worst they are in content identical to a altright gamer bro who still thinks attack helicopter meme is funny, but with a better ability to write

admin - locking this thread. Other threads can be opened

Topic locked