Last post
Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 12 2009 16:26

he is a real tease

John09
May 13 2009 15:29

Quote:

Take the thread on Belfast WSM organising a meeting with visteon workers. Instead of something like 'oh its good anarchists are organising something like this instead of letting the rest of the left run the show' we get a different response from you.

Choccy wrote: "It was more that the announcement, before they'd even taken any votes, while the struggle was still going on reeked of the sort of opportunism groups like the SWP are readily decried for."

My response:

This is sectarian nonsense, showing that you have no grasp of revolutionary class politics or a political understanding of opportunism.

The Visteon workers were more than happy to speak at events organised by the ‘left’ before and after the vote, to publicise the strengths and weaknesses of their struggle. Whether you like it or not the SWP (more than any other group on the left) as well as Sinn Fein received a lot of respect from the visteon workers. This has been expressed at demonstrations, interviews and actually talking to workers at the factory. For example- see Belfast Telegraph article http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/weary-visteon-protesters-remain-firm-and-resolute-14277572.html.

Seriously, listen to some of the audio interviews carried out by the WSM with the visteon workers, because it is certainly not anarchists or the proposed 'international day of action' mentioned. Link: http://www.wsm.ie/story/5418

Please elaborate on how inviting a visteon speaker(s) along to a wsm event on promoting direct action and solidarity and the situation faced by the visteon workers is ‘opportunist’ (even a week after the vote)? Given that wsm members actively supported the occupation from the very beginning in terms of visiting the plant, carrying out interviews to raise awareness, attending demonstrations and offering a donation.

For example, is it ‘opportunist’ for an anarchist organisation to organise a public meeting in a local area on the issue of trying to combat a rise of house evictions or police brutality?

If we were to listen to your ‘advice’ or simplistic ‘analysis’, anarchism will forever remain a marginal and irrelevant movement, tagging onto the rest of left, always one step behind, afraid of taking risks and initiative.

PartyBucket's picture
PartyBucket
May 13 2009 16:43
John09 wrote:
Seriously, listen to some of the audio interviews carried out by the WSM with the visteon workers, because it is certainly not anarchists or the proposed 'international day of action' mentioned. Link: http://www.wsm.ie/story/5418

The 'International Day Of Action' (not sure why you put that in inverted commas), didnt go ahead for the simple reason that the workers accepted the deal before the proposed date. The convenor did personally email the IWW and IWA to thank them for their willingness to help organise that action, despite it not happening.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 20 2009 14:45

John09, my point was that it's very difficult to know 'Can Direct Action achieve change?' when the vote hadn't even been taken and we didn't know
I'm not sure how its sectarian nonsense to say 'shouldn't we wait a bit in case there is solidarity action that day dependent on the vote?'. It really isn't, it would be said to anyone.
I mean, here was my initial response to the meeting announcement:
'Is this not a bit of a gamble given the Belfast vote isn't ill Sunday and there's a proposed International Day of Action May 9 which is dependent on Sunday's vote?'

And by the way, many in England did go ahead with solidarity action on May9 anyway, regardless of the vote result because they had a bit of momentum, which is cool. Again, the International Day was always provisional, and dependent on the outcome of the workers' vote, this was always clear, and seemed to be the intention of the workers themselves. As Notch has pointed out the Belfast convenor was supportive of the proposed day and expressed his thanks for the international groups that pledged their support for it, even thought circumstances and phase of struggle changed. I'm not sure why you can't get your head around that.

No one questioned the WSM's support for the Visteon workers, please drop that cannard.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 18 2009 12:25
John09 wrote:
The Visteon workers were more than happy to speak at events organised by the ‘left’ before and after the vote, to publicise the strengths and weaknesses of their struggle. Whether you like it or not the SWP (more than any other group on the left) as well as Sinn Fein received a lot of respect from the visteon workers. This has been expressed at demonstrations, interviews and actually talking to workers at the factory. For example- see Belfast Telegraph article http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/weary-visteon-protesters-remain-firm-and-resolute-14277572.html.

I have absolutely no doubt that SinnFein's support for this was populist nonsense given their courting of big and small business elsewhere. If the plant had been in east Belfast and not west, in one of their strongest voting constituencies, I'm guessing they'd have given nowhere near the publicly visible support for the workers as they did. I doubt any anarchist who isn't a chucky cunt would dispute this.

MT
May 28 2009 13:36

is PDF version of 1st issue available?

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 28 2009 13:49

Some of the articles are in the library/news sections now,
Recession and education
Monson in Belfast
Visteon - Post-Fordism in Belfast

we'll stick the pdf up soon
PM me your email address and I'll email it to you.

Deezer
May 31 2009 13:18
bobby/john09/mickey5... wrote:

Just realised that this interview took place before the proposal for an international day of action was made or discussed by the workers so it really isn't suprising that no one mentioned it!

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 31 2009 18:58
Deezer wrote:
bobby/john09/mickey5... wrote:

Just realised that this interview took place before the proposal for an international day of action was made or discussed by the workers so it really isn't suprising that no one mentioned it!

oh shit yeah, this interview was like 2 wks before people started chatting about 'day of action'
God he really doesn't think about anything he posts.

vanilla.ice.baby
Jun 2 2009 09:31

Just saw the first issue, and it was interesting, but why did the back page have a picture of a bunch of Second Life addicts posing with johnny adair?

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Jun 2 2009 13:47

you're not the first to say something like that wink