oxford anarchist newsletter

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
mons
Nov 21 2010 14:32
oxford anarchist newsletter

In case anyone's interested - 'Anarchists in Oxford' have put together a newsletter; The Oxfly.. It's got articles on resistance to education cuts in Oxford, a general anti-cuts editorial and other local news:
http://theoarc.org.uk/oxfly.pdf

Sidney Huffman
Nov 21 2010 16:11

Not bad, especially for a first issue. How many been distributed?

mons
Nov 21 2010 16:54

Thanks.
Not sure if any have yet, only printed on Friday. But the first print run is for a thousand, we'll definitely give out all those and hopefully do another batch depending on how things go.

Duds4u's picture
Duds4u
Nov 21 2010 18:27

Yes, nice one - keep it up!

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Nov 21 2010 23:00

looks good.
I'd not seen your account of the demo before, is this the first time it's been published?

mons
Nov 22 2010 10:25

Thanks jef and duds.
The oxford demo? Yeah it is. It might be on indymedia too, not sure. If so it's only recently gone on, since we were editing it up mid-last week.

mons
Dec 11 2010 21:07

Issue 2 out:
http://aio.theoarc.org.uk/oxfly/oxfly2.pdf

They were printed today, only 500 this time to begin with, but we distributed probably 400 of them today. We'll finish them tomorrow probably and then print another 500 or so.

Feedback appreciated.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Dec 12 2010 17:01

It's a bit text heavy, maybe more graphics?

Also, who's produced it? Is it a formal group or kind of an ad-hoc group of anarchists?

mons
Dec 12 2010 18:07

I agree, more graphics would be better. Next issue...

The group has AF members and someone joining SolFed and others, but overall it's a pretty ad hoc group, we call ourselves Anarchists in Oxford. The majority seem to have class politics, but we don't have clearly defined politics yet unfortunately. I wasn't able to go a theoretical discussion we had the other week though. Hopefully we'll get some level of theoretical unity as we're just coming together now really.
It's nice and open though, and our stall had Catalyst and AF pamphlets as well as Oxfly. We got quite a few sympathetic conversations with people, two people wanted to get involved and we even sold about half a dozen pamphlets. Most of the rest of the first print run were given out today.

mons
Feb 13 2011 11:50

Issue 3: http://aio.theoarc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/oxfly3.pdf
It's a bit text heavy but the content's pretty good (especially given our politics are not so tight as you'd hope).
Thanks to Brighton SolFed's Paradox of Reformism which was the basis for one of the articles in here.

It seems to be going really well. We handed out a few hundred on a demo yesterday in Oxford, and some people were asking whether it was a new issue because they had the last one, and saying they've been enjoying it. Also met a few more people potentially wanting to get involved (and sold about 20 pamphlets on the demo!), presumably partly because of the visibility that having a newsletter brings.

Feedback's always good...

no1
Feb 13 2011 14:32

Sounds good, what are the pamphlets on? Unfortunately I couldn't download the pdf, not sure why but it stops after a few seconds.

EDIT2: downloaded fine now

EDIT 3: like it !

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Feb 13 2011 14:18
mons wrote:
Thanks to Brighton SolFed's Paradox of Reformism which was the basis for one of the articles in here.

that's much improved, much more accessible without losing any of the argument smile

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Feb 13 2011 14:27

Yeah, that's sweet. I really like the "Winning the argument" article. You should post that up as a stand-alone on libcom.

mons
Feb 13 2011 15:31

Thanks, Auto wrote it smile
Ok I'll post that one up in a minute.

no1, we sold about 5 Abolish Restaurants, and the rest were AF pamphlets, mainly Intro to Anarchist Communism.

Auto's picture
Auto
Feb 13 2011 15:49
Joseph Kay wrote:
mons wrote:

that's much improved, much more accessible without losing any of the argument :)

Hey JK, I'm glad you liked the article! I tell you, trying to distill the meaning of your article down under 400 words was a challenge and a half.

I must say I think the OxFly is really improving issue upon issue. Also the action of handing it out is really helping us to improve on engaging with members of the public. As mons mentioned, a couple of the people on the march said they had heard of the OxFly when taking the latest edition. It seemed to me like or two people had learned that there were Anarchists in Oxford through the newsletter.

It's definitely a worthwhile project.

mons
Feb 13 2011 21:26

It's up now: http://libcom.org/library/winning-argument-or-winning-fight

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Feb 13 2011 21:35

Oxfly is looking very good. Well done.

vanilla.ice.baby
Feb 14 2011 17:49

Yes excellent work.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jan 17 2012 19:50

Did these ever get uploaded to the library. I've got a friend in Oxford who I was telling about them...

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Feb 22 2012 22:39

Anybody have old .pdfs of these we could throw into the library?