Oct 12 2008 00:51
Solidarity with Iranian Students - HOPI Manchester

Solidarity with Students in Iran
No War! No Sanctions! Solidarity!
www.hopoi.org
hopimanchester[at]googlemail.com

Wednesday 22nd October - University of Manchester Students' Union
7.30pm til 9pm - Meeting Room 4

Hands Off the People of Iran invites you to a meeting with leading members of 'Freedom and Equality Seeking Students' Behrooz Karimizadeh and Kaveh Abbasian. Both have suffered repression at the hands of the Iranian regime. They will be speaking on their experiences and the ongoing struggles within Iran. They will also speak about the growing threat of war against Iran and how that is creating a climate of repression and fear within Iran. We welcome all who fight against war and wish to build organic links with the struggles in Iran.

If your organisation would like a stall or deliver a message of solidarity then please let us know in advance.

Caiman del Barrio
Oct 12 2008 17:52

Bin.

knightrose
Oct 12 2008 18:34
Caiman del Barrio wrote:
Bin.

Why?

posi
Oct 12 2008 19:26

Basic sectarianism?

Whatever anyone thinks of the CPGB, or HOPI, the two Iranian guys speaking are militants who have participated in struggles there.

WeTheYouth
Oct 12 2008 21:58
Caiman del Barrio wrote:
Bin.

Yes why? Very strange, you not into giving support to Iranian students or summat?

Caiman del Barrio
Oct 13 2008 12:43

I dunno nothing about the students concerned, but HOPI's a force for bad and I hope Libcom won't let tankies publicise their thinly veiled recruitment drives on here...

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Oct 13 2008 18:21

I don't think this is going to get deleted but a quick search on libcom for HOPI will bring up a few threads explaining why you probably shouldn't bother with this.

Mike Harman
Oct 13 2008 18:29
Caiman del Barrio wrote:
I dunno nothing about the students concerned, but HOPI's a force for bad and I hope Libcom won't let tankies publicise their thinly veiled recruitment drives on here...

I'd be happy to remove the entire announcements forum, but while it's up I don't think we can strictly moderate it for political content. However if another admin wants to bin this, I wouldn't complain.

Anyone not familiar with HOPI might want to read: http://libcom.org/forums/organise/hopi-anti-war-organisation-18102007
http://libcom.org/forums/organise/hands-people-iran

WeTheYouth
Oct 13 2008 22:32

A force for bad? Get a grip you idiot. How many links have you built with the Iranian social movements? and the CPGB front accusations are tiresome.

Anarchists are involved in HOPI, the WSM in Ireland and Ste Monaghan from AFED is on the steering committee and we have supporters in the IWW. I would like to know why so called libertarians are wanting to censor an announcement about a meeting building solidarity with the Iranian students movement?

If you want info on these students you can watch a press conference on the HOPI website.

Mike Harman
Oct 13 2008 22:50

WeTheYouth - binning forum posts isn't 'censoring', same as we don't 'censor' spam when we delete it. Censoring would be trying to get it removed from elsewhere on the internet.

WeTheYouth
Oct 13 2008 22:59

It is censorship comrade, if you are going to bin an announcement because it is a meeting about a group that you dislike. What else is it?

This is an announcemnet board, two leading Iranian students speaking in Manchester clearly has a place on such a board. All local anarchists groups should have received an email inviting them to the meeting as well.

Jason Cortez
Oct 13 2008 23:09

except no one has binned it. At least not yet, give it time. bloody students swanning around the world, whilst the workers struggle to feed their families by working down the factory.

WeTheYouth
Oct 13 2008 23:13

I hope it isn't binned, i hope lots of anarchists come and get involved, anarchists that have come to our meetings before have been on the whole very positive.

Mike Harman
Oct 13 2008 23:23
WeTheYouth wrote:
It is censorship comrade, if you are going to bin an announcement because it is a meeting about a group that you dislike. What else is it?

Well binning wouldn't even prevent people from reading it, so at worst it'd be "de-emphasising'. Since this is posted in the discussion forum, if we deleted it, it'd come under 'moderating'. But generally we leave controversial announcements up with critical comments attached, since IMO this does the self-promoting group less favours in the long run.

WeTheYouth
Oct 13 2008 23:28

Why should two Iranian students speaking in Manchester be 'de-emphasised' we are promoting solidarity with Iranian students, its not a post promoting the CPGB is it? I cannot see your problem with it being up on the annoucnement board, as i wrote above we have many anarchists involved and we have an anarchist on the national steering group, clearly the meeting has every right to be on this board. What have you got against building solidarity with the Iranian social movements and opposing war and sanctions?

madashell's picture
madashell
Oct 13 2008 23:46
WeTheYouth wrote:
Why should two Iranian students speaking in Manchester be 'de-emphasised' we are promoting solidarity with Iranian students, its not a post promoting the CPGB is it? I cannot see your problem with it being up on the annoucnement board, as i wrote above we have many anarchists involved and we have an anarchist on the national steering group, clearly the meeting has every right to be on this board. What have you got against building solidarity with the Iranian social movements and opposing war and sanctions?

I don't think catch is suggesting that he's actually going to bin the thread. In fact the only person on here so far who's actually called for it to be binned is Alan, which is silly, considering some of the shit that gets posted in this forum without being binned.

WeTheYouth
Oct 13 2008 23:51

Fair enough, hope to see Anarchos from the NW at the meeting.

knightrose
Oct 14 2008 10:55

sadly it's the same night as Manc AF's next meeting.

WeTheYouth
Oct 14 2008 12:02

Any chance you could change it?

Caiman del Barrio
Oct 16 2008 10:42
Mike Harman wrote:
WeTheYouth wrote:

Well binning wouldn't even prevent people from reading it, so at worst it'd be "de-emphasising'. Since this is posted in the discussion forum, if we deleted it, it'd come under 'moderating'. But generally we leave controversial announcements up with critical comments attached, since IMO this does the self-promoting group less favours in the long run.

That's fair enough...I basically just wanted to provoke analysis and debate on this...

And the tankie reference wasn't to do with HOPI yo.