Last post
action_now
Oct 26 2010 17:11
Anti-education cuts demo - 10 November

Yeah, what people saying?

http://www.demo2010.org/promote-the-demo/

WorkersDreadnought
Oct 26 2010 19:16

Yeah this is gona be a big one. I think SF and AF are meant to be calling for a radical/militant education workers/student/wotever u want to call it bloc. There was also some discussion on the ASN e-list about producing a leaflet for distribution on the demo...dont know whats come of that thouugh.

Either way we should spread the call out far and wide.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Oct 26 2010 21:37

Anyone working in schools won't be able to make this.

WorkersDreadnought
Oct 26 2010 21:47

theres also meant to be a national walkout on the 24th of novemebr from colleges and universities where there is the strength to do so

http://anticuts.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/walkout.pdf

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=134751449911080

Here is the fbook for the demo on the 14th
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=108181969236102

and the fbook event for the "Free Education Feeder" march
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=154265894604676

Yorkie Bar
Oct 27 2010 00:43

I'll be going, my su is organising a coach.

WorkersDreadnought
Oct 27 2010 15:09

oops sorry the demo is on the 10th not the 14th

Yorkie Bar
Oct 27 2010 15:27

Can peeps from solfed get on the joint forum? Folks from the AF want to try and get a joint leaflet together and they (apparently) haven't had a response.

gypsy
Oct 27 2010 19:54
Yorkie Bar wrote:
Can peeps from solfed get on the joint forum? Folks from the AF want to try and get a joint leaflet together and they (apparently) haven't had a response.

couldnt you lot have dealt with that in the pub after the bookfair? Anarchists... wink

WorkersDreadnought
Oct 27 2010 20:56
Yorkie Bar wrote:

Im looking on the fourm now but cant see a discussion about this anywhere. Im not in education but im trying to get a response from london SolFeders about co-rodinating this

elsquith
Nov 17 2010 01:39

three coachloads going from sussex...

Caiman del Barrio
Oct 29 2010 16:22
WorkersDreadnought wrote:
Im not in education but im trying to get a response from london SolFeders about co-rodinating this

Yeah the problem is there's not one student nor UCU member in London SF...

Caiman del Barrio
Oct 29 2010 17:05

Admin: snip.

Srsly, I think Brighton might be able to send some folk, prob best contacting them.

WorkersDreadnought
Oct 30 2010 13:04

we're going off topic now and its not helpful.

Discussion on the bloc is now happening on the joint forum btw. Maybe each uni group that supports it would like to put their name down?

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Oct 31 2010 11:03

Your style, Jazzy Jeff. "I got this student shit PEGGED yo."???

As is common parlance in South London.

Flane
Oct 31 2010 11:03

The are at least four coaches coming down from Edinburgh Uni.
A large portion of Edinburgh University Anarchist Society will be attending the demo. We support any calls for solidarity and further promotion of the 10th November Demo.

See you on the streets.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Oct 31 2010 11:04

Can everyone stop derailing please, I've deleted most of them.

Guerrillawarfare
Oct 31 2010 17:11

Looking forward to this one, lets give it to the condem fascist fake liberal-democratic wankers.

spitzenprodukte's picture
spitzenprodukte
Oct 31 2010 17:53

So there is going to be a militant education workers/students bloc then? Any more details on meeting up etc?

WorkersDreadnought
Oct 31 2010 19:29
huw wrote:
So there is going to be a militant education workers/students bloc then? Any more details on meeting up etc?

yep the leaflet thats been put together is almost finished. When its done it'll probabaly get posted in the announcements section, sometime early this coming week.

spitzenprodukte's picture
spitzenprodukte
Oct 31 2010 20:15

Excellent, thanks for that- I'll got on with getting people along. Just been donated a long roll of fabric so I'll try and get some people to help with a banner.

Caiman del Barrio
Oct 31 2010 21:20

If only there were some sort of London Education Workers' Group to facilitate such activities... wink

WorkersDreadnought
Nov 3 2010 10:07

On Wednesday 10th November 2010 the NUS and UCU have organised a demonstration in London in protest against the cuts in education. We are calling on all anarchists and militant workers and students to join us in forming a 'Radical Workers' and Students' Bloc' on the demonstration, arguing for all those in education to fight the cuts based on the principles of solidarity, direct action, and control of our own struggles – not for ...a struggle controlled by union bureaucrats and political ‘leaders’ who can only go so far.

The need for workers and students to organise together as one has never been more pressing, and it is us that will be the demonstrators standing our ground in defence of the independent class struggle, against the ‘Left’ which will seek to channel dissent into the election of another Labour government. We push for a widespread fightback based in our workplaces and campuses, as well as in the streets, acting in solidarity with fellow workers and communities fighting these austerity measures all over the world.

We also intend to be a visible anti-capitalist presence on the demonstration pointing out that it is capitalism that has caused the crisis that has led to these cuts, and that in response to their class war we need to reciprocate: meeting cuts with direct action – occupations, strikes and civil disobedience - whilst fighting for a better world which puts human needs first.

Bring red and black flags, banners and propaganda. The student and workers movement needs anarchist ideas and methods more than ever if we're to beat the cuts.

Meet at 11am at Horse Guards Avenue, SW1.

http://london.indymedia.org/events/5861

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/event.php?eid=125398030849617

unsacred's picture
unsacred
Nov 3 2010 13:55

I agree with Guerrillawarfare sincerely. It is high time they were able to divest themselves of that liberal cloak. Of course though we know how Nazis were. They quite simply had nothing to hide.

gypsy
Nov 3 2010 14:01
unsacred wrote:
I agree with Guerrillawarfare sincerely. It is high time they were able to divest themselves of that liberal cloak. Of course though we know how Nazis were. They quite simply had nothing to hide.

are you comrade steven millers buddy or something?

action_now
Nov 5 2010 16:36

There's also another facebook group event for this demo if you search 'Call for direct action at 'fund our future- stop the cuts!'- which has a higher attendance count than the militant students & workers bloc. Have no idea who/if any groups have anything to do with this callout. Looks like there may potenially be a decent sized anarcho bloc on this demo.

Ellar's picture
Ellar
Nov 5 2010 20:33

I think the main reason that the Direct action page has more attendees is just because it's been up for much longer then the Radical Bloc one. But yeah, it does look like there could be a good Anarchist turnout smile it's good to see Anarchist student groups attending the Radical workers & Students bloc.

WorkersDreadnought
Nov 7 2010 14:36

yeah heres the link to that bloc, ive no idea whose call out it is either:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=147155068663088

Just to clarify the call out for the bloc originally discussed here was from AF and north and south london SF

Caiman del Barrio
Nov 7 2010 15:27

It looks like it's some insurrectionist kid, fucking ridiculous language used on it.

Ellar's picture
Ellar
Nov 7 2010 17:20

The following comment is not a invitation to treat me like shit.

I'm not going to be wearing all black and masked up on the day. I fully support the bloc that has been organised by AFED and Solfed. I also support the Direct Action bloc.

Just because you believe the black bloc tactic is effective in certain situations does not mean that you reject or oppose other forms of struggle i.e community and workplace organisation, strikes, occupations and so on. Many people like myself may have joined the attendence list for this group simply because up until a few days ago it was the only Anarchist bloc (that I know of) on the web planning to go to the education cuts demo.

Many people claim to value solidarity and comradery but it seems that when the chance arises to slag off a individual or a group of people simply because they are supporting a tactic they do not, these values go out the window. I have seen very intelligent Anarchists spend more anger and time on other Anarchists then any discussion about the recent cuts. This seems to me to be a unnecessarily divisive issue, Anarchists who you know disagree with you on one thing are not your enemys, the state and capitalism are enemys.

I would like to go on wednesday and support AFED, Solfed and Anarchists in black bloc. I'm sure I disagree with memebrs of all the groups on atleast one or two issues but ultimately I consider them all to be comrades that I can work alongside.

Cooperation, Mutual Aid and Mutual Respect

WorkersDreadnought
Nov 7 2010 17:38

Just to copy what ive posted on the annoucement section:

"Well the AF and London SF have called for that bloc, but thats not to necessarily say its "The AF and Sofled bloc", as there will probably be comrades in the bloc that are not part of either federation. Dont think there will be many SFers on the block actually, just a few from north london and brighton confirmed at the mo.

Just dont want this to escalate in to an AF+SF versus whoever the other black bloc is comprised of."

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Nov 7 2010 17:48
jmacbean wrote:

Many people claim to value solidarity

Yeah, working class solidarity. Not lets support any oddjob that is an anarchoid type. More to the point, the AF and Solfed are class struggle anarchist groups, not happy clappy, our anarchism is one big tent, come one come all. Sure, you can think the black bloc is a good tactic (which is all it is, a tactic on demos, not at all like "other form of struggles" for it isn't a struggle) without dismissing more meaningful activity but surely you don't think it's a good idea in every situation, especially a demonstration like the one in question that doesn't call for it and is stepping on the toes of an attempt to do something different rather than smash windows, battle coppers for hours and bring the city to a standstill*.

*But not being the 90's anymore, will instead turn out with kettling and tedium.