DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Projectile 2007, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne - Festival of Anarchist Film and Culture

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Offcentre
Feb 3 2007 20:51
Projectile 2007, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne - Festival of Anarchist Film and Culture

Here comes the advert..

Projectile 2007 - the third annual festival of anarchist film and culture will take place 18 - 20th May, at the Star and Shadow cinema, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne.

Now that the Star and Shadow building is completed, Projectile 2007 will have a fully blacked out cinema + separate
meeting room and bar.

On the film side, we are still tracking down a couple of rare gems. However we’ll definitely be showing:
This Revolution [The Black Bloc in action at the Republican Convention]
Soma: an anarchist therapy
Sacco and Vanzetti
“i” [a film about Indymedia Argentina]
The Anarchists [Koreans Anarchists, in suits!]
Antonio Negri: a revolt that never ends
There is No Authority but Yourself [The Crass film]
Salt of the Earth [the struggle of Mexican-American miners]

Talks and Workshops include:

Ben Franks – workshop around his book Rebel Alliances
Anarcho-Feminism Workshop
Jamie Heckert – Why its So Hard to Love?
Ian Bone – book reading and talk
Penny Rimbaud – talk accompanying the Crass film
Mitzi Watz – anarchism and therapy
Dave Douglas – talk on the miners strike(s), accompanying the film ‘Where do I Stand?’
Indymedia workshop
Second Life – Streaming of the festival

and we’ll be running a Gig/Cabaret on the Saturday night with the
Sex Patels, the Bongaleros and plenty of others

If you have any suggestions or just want to get in touch with us, we are at:
http://www.projectile.org.uk/

(an updated programme will appear on the site very soon)

As usual, accommodation will be available for those travelling to Newcastle.

Lone Wolf's picture
Lone Wolf
Feb 4 2007 02:50

Hey looks great!!! I will def. be aiming to attend this esp. as a member of Crass will be in attendance..cool I find it quite amusing that the venue is in a part of Newcastle called Battlefield..!!!! grin This does not, in any way, reflect our difficulties in bringing about a revolution, by any chance??

Love

LW X

Offcentre
Feb 4 2007 11:54

Didn't know that (the Battlefield thing) - I actually live 40 miles from Newcastle. Just did a quick google though:

"The Battlefield is so named, not because it is the site of some ancient conflict, but rather because of it's fame in the 19th century as a venue for dog fights"

Now thats a possibility!

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Feb 4 2007 13:55

I'd just like to give my somewhat tainted commendation of this event. As far as socials go, this is absolutely kick arse.

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Mar 14 2007 12:53

Programme is up on the site now

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Mar 14 2007 20:39

i'm def going, just booked tickets well in advance 4 teh cheep.

cantdocartwheels's picture
cantdocartwheels
Mar 15 2007 10:53

just sounds like the usual lifestylist suspects and a bunch of weirdos trying to flog soma witchdoctor crap and other tired old hippy bollocks to me. Now I know its newcastle and all but did nobody bother to call and tell them that the 80's are over. I mean penny fucking rimbaud, jesus.

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Mar 15 2007 13:38
cantdocartwheels wrote:
just sounds like the usual lifestylist suspects and a bunch of weirdos trying to flog soma witchdoctor crap and other tired old hippy bollocks to me. Now I know its newcastle and all but did nobody bother to call and tell them that the 80's are over. I mean penny fucking rimbaud, jesus.

basically yeah. Its gonna be grrreat grin

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Mar 15 2007 13:41

sorry, it might actually be worth making a genuine point: Proj through the floor open to class struggle anarchists and anyone was welcome to propose a film or talk. Cos, as almost always, this didn't net any responses really at all - the anarchist who WILL talk - art monkeys, singers, fanny-inspectors - get on the bill.

This isa failing on our part, the ppl i know involved in setting it up wou;ld actually like CS @'s to talk, we just didn't. Hopefully we will in future.

cantdocartwheels's picture
cantdocartwheels
Mar 15 2007 20:15

surely the fact that any old lunatic can sell their particular brand of bollocks there is enough to put you off entirely, i mean i wouldn't fancy sharing a bill with some cunt selling ancient hindu cranial therapy, and some absolutely fucking pathetic weirdo talking about how capitalism like makes it really difficult for him to have a meaningful relationship because it makes it so hard for him to love...
Point is all this broad church stuff isn't really acceptable, its not like we have a class struggle anarchist conference and then have a room on the side with a sign saying ''class struggle is cool, but you know what, if your mad, or juts a bit desperate and easy to exploit, some motherfuckers going to sell you some absolutely crayyyzy shit about therapy or why your a bit lonely in this room''.

Offcentre
Mar 17 2007 15:17

S'funny, but over the last 2 years we've had feedback suggesting we were too much focussed on class struggle. And this year's festival does have a wobblies film, IWW discussion on workplace organising, Ian Bone, Roundtable on class, Dave Douglass; exhibition on the Spanish Civil War, discussion on the same - not realy an abandonment of social anarchism.

Anyway - yes - the programme and other stuff is on the website (inc info about accommodation)

http://www.projectile.org.uk/

The programme doc is a pdf - so please pass on to whoever might be interested

Ed's picture
Ed
Mar 18 2007 12:37

Hey Offcentre, I went to Projectile (maybe two years ago?) and it was great. Good film about women in the Spanish Civil War, a film made by the CNT in 1936 and it was the first time I saw Can Dialectics Break Bricks? Actually, really fucking good festival mate!

The thing that I have to take issue with (this is libcom after all, we've always got to take issue with something! wink ) is when you say

Quote:
over the last 2 years we've had feedback suggesting we were too much focussed on class struggle

Now this immediately makes me think: what is anarchism if its not class struggle? What is anarchist culture and politics if removed from the struggles of working class people against capitalism? From where will revolutionary change come from if not the working class?

This is basically the crux of what made libcom turn out how it is. I mean, why do we feel we have to cater for any old nutter who tells us they're against capitalism and the state? If I was in your shoes, and someone came up to me and said Projectile was "too class struggle" my only response would be "cheers, now fuck off out of my tent it's not big enough for the both of us!" possibly followed by one of these -> grin

Anyway, like I said, quality festival and it does look like you've got a good line up this year.

Offcentre
Mar 19 2007 17:38

point taken. It was a slightly illogical phrase.

The actual feedback we had last year was that we had too many 'gun fights and doomed struggles' - and could have done with more green stuff, sessions on gender, sexuality etc.

Of those, i would guess that some were indeed, gulp, lifestylers - whereas others who wanted a more diverse line up of films and talks were still keen to see these in the wider pattern of class relations. I'm with the latter.

[mind, the Star and Shadow has pretty high ceilings. Its a big tent under which much juggling could still take place embarrassed ]

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Mar 20 2007 17:22
cantdocartwheels wrote:
surely the fact that any old lunatic can sell their particular brand of bollocks there is enough to put you off entirely, i mean i wouldn't fancy sharing a bill with some cunt selling ancient hindu cranial therapy, and some absolutely fucking pathetic weirdo talking about how capitalism like makes it really difficult for him to have a meaningful relationship because it makes it so hard for him to love...
Point is all this broad church stuff isn't really acceptable, its not like we have a class struggle anarchist conference and then have a room on the side with a sign saying ''class struggle is cool, but you know what, if your mad, or juts a bit desperate and easy to exploit, some motherfuckers going to sell you some absolutely crayyyzy shit about therapy or why your a bit lonely in this room''.

totally self perpetuating though: i won't share the bill with weirdo's, therefore weirdo's will have the bill to themselves. This completely removes us from anything we have have not explicitly organised ourselves, and we rarely organise anything like this ourselves anyway - if ever.

I'm not supporting the 'broad church' thing wholeheartedly, but i do think if you can't make your talk or workshop more interesting that a vegan biscuits seminar, we might as well give up now. If we only want to attract people who ALREADY consider themseles class struggle anarchists, then we are actually guilty of the crime we castigate 'lifestylists' the most for: preaching to the choir.

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Mar 20 2007 17:24
Offcentre wrote:
S'funny, but over the last 2 years we've had feedback suggesting we were too much focussed on class struggle. And this year's festival does have a wobblies film, IWW discussion on workplace organising, exhibition on the Spanish Civil War, discussion on the same - not realy an abandonment of social anarchism.

sounds good smile

Quote:
Ian Bone, Roundtable on class, Dave Douglass;

hmm, will be enjoyable, but not re....

never mind wink