Archiving content from GeoCities websites

82 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 5 2009 12:06

And actually Jack, having a quick look the source credit for the text should be at the bottom of the article, ideally in italics, rather than in the intro field. Cheers.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 5 2009 12:09

Also Jack, only tag a country if the article is specifically about something that has happened in that country, you don't need to tag it if only the group that wrote the article is from that country.

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Jul 10 2009 20:05
jack wrote:
I was copying formating off Ret! wink

Well some of my formatting is from before the guidelines were set - and I've ignored them sometimes anyway.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 11 2009 00:29

Yes, Ret is a formatting rebel

Jack, I would have thought that we would want to backup everything that might be lost. If it's rubbish of course, don't worry about it, but if it's good then we should try to archive it. Nice one with all the work though!

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Jul 11 2009 01:57

Found another geocities site.... http://www.geocities.com/insurrection_raven/en_texts/index.html

The one I'm more interested in out of the small collection is Werner Bonefeld: The Capitalist State: Illusion and Critique, but I don't have time to read this right now, so I can't get an idea of how to summarize or if it even fits with this site. I'll try to get to it sometime this weekend, unless someone else does.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 11 2009 11:12

Cheers, I'll edit that in to the original post.

Yes the Bonefeld book looks interesting. We have some of the other stuff on that site, like the class war book, already.

arminius's picture
arminius
Jul 11 2009 16:20

Wage Slave X is on our World in Common discussion list, and I've told him about this, so he may be in touch. He's also on Libcom (though I don't know how often).

Imo, with the amount of councilist and KAPD stuff they have, they *should* be saved, and I am inclined to say everything else as well, (except already duplicates) - and not just for for this particular site, but all in the anti-statist, anti-capitalist, and anti-reformist sector, broadly defined (but maybe that's just me and my WiC ideas!). In any case, we can slot the entries wherever appropriate later, or even just off load them to some folks who desperately want them and don't want to be associated with the likes of us,if we want. It's a real service you guys are performing smile , and I applaud it, though fairly incompetent to do more embarrassed .

Let's face it, if we already have Lenin and Trotsky (and worse)on the site, there's no reason we can't store places of interest (not that I'm accusing Wageslave X of that! - He's a Left Communist, iirc- which we also have here in the library)

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Jul 11 2009 18:54

I'll claim Practical History

Felix Frost's picture
Felix Frost
Jul 11 2009 22:13
Jack wrote:
Does anyone know who Internationalist Perspectives are? There's a load on the Wage Slave X website - are they in our remit?

Internationalist Perspective was originally a split from the ICC, but are in my opinion more interesting and less dogmatic. Some of them have been posting here. They have their own website at http://internationalist-perspective.org.

waslax's picture
waslax
Jul 12 2009 08:20

Hi, I'm Wage Slave X, hence my user name: wa...sla...x. Please do go ahead and copy as much of my old site to libcom as you like. The Internationalist Perspective texts on my site were put there before IP had its own website. I think most if not all of the IP texts on my site are now on the IP site. I am now a member of IP, hence, one reason there has been little new on the Wage Slave X site for the last few years. IP is left communist, but doesn't dogmatically defend Left Communism as a finished programme, but rather sees it as a work in progress that needs to be critiqued and renewed. If the spectrum of left communist groups was laid out from partyist at one end (Bordigists) and councilist at the other end, IP would be closer to the councilist end. While all the other larger left com. groups label IP as councilist, we don't think we are councilist, and have several times tried to show why we aren't.

Again, thanks for all the work you're doing on this, comrades.

waslax's picture
waslax
Jul 12 2009 08:24

A little note as appendix. The guy who did the Red & Black Notes site (and hard copy bulletin) is also now in Internationalist Perspective, and I'm sure he also appreciates that you have been able to archive his old site here too.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 12 2009 09:35

You can also feel free to help copying your site over here, and if you need any assistance we can provide a

waslax's picture
waslax
Jul 12 2009 18:45

Okay, I would just need to learn how to do it. You can pm me about that if you want. Also, it seems Jack has already started on my site, so we should be clear on what's been done and what still needs doing.

Android
Jul 12 2009 23:35

Hi,

This is my first post, although I've been a long time observer.

The guy who produced Red and Black Notes has posted on his blog that he wasn't sure what he was going to do with the material on his geocities website. So maybe if Waslax or anyone else who knows him could contact him and let him know that his material has been posted in the libcom library.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 13 2009 09:55

Thanks for pointing that out, I've left a comment on his blog.

waslax's picture
waslax
Jul 14 2009 06:06

Yeah, he knows about it, and appreciates it. Cheers, Steven.

Farce's picture
Farce
Jul 23 2009 15:38

Egyptian libertarian communist site: http://www.geocities.com/aggoa2000/index13.html It'd be a real shame if this got lost.

arminius's picture
arminius
Jul 23 2009 20:40

Sorry, but I'm having a really hard time keeping track-

So at this point, what is totally done?

What is in progress?

What sites are totally untouched yet?

Wellclose Square
Jul 23 2009 21:48

I've had, and will have, absolutely no practical input to this process whatsoever, being pretty computer illiterate (and I'm not proud of that). Just to say thanks for all the hard work that's going on here. For what it's worth - 'If in doubt, don't leave it out' - I've still got ring binders stuffed full of print-outs of KAPD stuff off John Gray and Cordoba Cafe that's no good to anyone in that state - keep it online. Well done.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jul 23 2009 22:35
arminius wrote:
Sorry, but I'm having a really hard time keeping track-

So at this point, what is totally done?

What is in progress?

What sites are totally untouched yet?

there's a list in the first post

Ed's picture
Ed
Jul 24 2009 10:56

As far as I can tell, everything from Undercurrent is in the library. I added a couple of missing articles but pretty much everything was there before I started.

Spassmaschine
Jul 24 2009 16:22

Yeah, all the articles from Undercurrent (from the geocities site, at least) are already on libcom. As for Antagonism, I'll probably finish copying it in the next day or two.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 25 2009 10:16

Cheers!

Spassmaschine
Jul 26 2009 09:59

Ok, Antagonism can now be crossed off the list. I'm happy to start copying Practical History across in the next few days.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 26 2009 11:47

Nice one, a fair bit of practical history has been done already now I think.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 26 2009 11:53

Original post now updated.

Is the wage slaves stuff done now?

And dead end, how are you getting on with the insurrection raven stuff?

David in Atlanta
Jul 31 2009 15:52

Just added.
http://libcom.org/library/communist-left-germany-1918-1921

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 13 2009 18:31

Hey, to anyone archiving stuff - mainly captain soap - we have a way of explaining the archives and tags.

Basically, if you create the content type intros then tag it with the group name, then you can put in a brief description of the group. You can also add an image like a group logo, and links to key articles, ideally say one which goes into detail about the history of the group, one which has its aims and principles etc.

So I created an intro for the red menace here:
http://libcom.org/tags/the-red-menace

I'm not sure if you can see the link to edit these intros captain? If not we could expand your permissions. Because it would be good, if the article from the practical history site giving an overview of the red menaces history could be chosen as a "key article".

waslax's picture
waslax
Aug 13 2009 18:33

Wage Slave X stuff still has a few a few items to do. Jack and I will be doing it.

Spassmaschine
Aug 13 2009 20:54

Nope, can't see the submit content > intro thing. The only one's I've got are:

forum topic
history
library
news

Not able to edit existing intros either. Fiddle round with the permissions thing, and I'll see what I can do about finding key articles...