Article subbing

54 posts / 0 new
Last post
Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Dec 31 2008 12:47

Were the images JPEG, PNG or GIF files, xConorx?

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Dec 31 2008 12:59

Just tried to load a pic to another new article - didn't work, so something's broke - it's not xConorx's error.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 31 2008 13:06

That's a shame, I seem able to. Maybe it is something for contributors, rather than administrators.

Maybe what people could do for now then is post a link to the image they want to use in the intro field or at the top of the body field, then I'll stick the image in when I get time. In the meantime we can try and sort out the problem as well.

(Although that said, I am aware that the image module is a little ropey, sometimes I have to edit an article because the image has disappeared when I first submitted it, but it usually works after the second time)

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Dec 31 2008 13:10

I tried submitting it twice and it didn't take. It was working fine for me a couple of days ago.

Mike Harman
Dec 31 2008 13:19

I'll have a look.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Dec 31 2008 14:17

Thanks for the patronising as fuck tips Steven wink

Na i've submitted articles with pics before, and as Ret says, they just don't appear when you click upload, they were all jpegs or gifs. And I did in 2 or 3 times for each one and just gave up up and submitted the text.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 31 2008 14:23

Are you loading them from urls or from your hard drive? I found that urls don't work as well as they used to.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Dec 31 2008 14:37

uploading from hard-drive as per before
as Ret says, it isn't working

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jan 1 2009 17:02

i'm having this problem too so it's not just non-admins - after hitting 'upload' the whole image section of the form disappears.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jan 2 2009 01:10

Actually you yes, that happened to me once but when I submitted the article and then click edit it was okay. I just did one article now and it was okay, weird.

Mike Harman
Jan 2 2009 01:35

I'm pretty sure what's happening is that the javascript which handles the uploads is hiding the form, but then not displaying the image once it's hidden. However it'll still be in the page itself, so if you ignore the fact that it's 'disappeared' then it ought to submit OK.

We seem to be having a couple of js related issues - I'm going to switch off aggregation for a bit and see if that helps at alll.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jan 2 2009 21:19

The Greece update articles, I just edited them to change the publishing date to today.

Also one of them I edited the day to match our style guide -2 January 2009 as opposed to 2nd January 2009. And I switched the picture of one of them, because the previous picture had a border which other pictures don't. Also it made the article look newer

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jan 3 2009 13:39

Is image uploading still causing people problems? It's still okay for me... I'm using Internet Explorer, I don't know if that's making a difference.

Israel/Palestine article - just moved it to library because it doesn't meet News guidelines, and library is the place for things like statements, leaflets, etc.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jan 3 2009 15:25

images not working for me in IE7 or FF3 - Steven can you put the image into ToJ's 'what's in a flag' article, there's a link at the top of the body text

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jan 4 2009 00:56

Done. I have no idea why this seems to be working for me and it's not for others.

But if people want some of these doing then post here, and I will try to when I can.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Jan 4 2009 01:25

Images worked for the Darwin09 blog entry - perhaps it's specific to library?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jan 7 2009 01:11

Yo catch we need a tag for Yemen in the Middle East for this article:
http://libcom.org/news/doctors-strikes-without-borders-07012009

Mike Harman
Jan 7 2009 01:33

Alright stuff that can be done in the UI easily I'm going to post up how instead of doing it:

admin/content/taxonomy

click on regions

Add term

Enter the name, choose a parent, job done.

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Jan 11 2009 02:19

I still can't load pics.

Ex-temp
Jan 23 2009 12:33

Nepal article: slightly rewrote to shorten intro to fit article/site to lay out

Ex-temp
Jan 27 2009 17:40

Yo Rob Ray - nice one for posting up all those old freedom features.

One thing I would say, is that article titles for online content should be a bit different than from the printed word.

Because throughout libcom, or on Google you will often just see the title, it needs to clearly explain what the article is about. This is particularly important for Google searches, where you need to include the key information that people would be searching for if they were looking for that sort of article.

So the article entitled "Masters of War" wouldn't be found by many people on Google, but if you mentioned some of the things the article is about, like BAe then people would end up stumbling across it.

Also, if you want to add pictures there is a bug stopping this working if you browse to the file you want, then press enter or click upload. However, if after choosing the file in the browse box you press tab and then press space (when you upload button is selected) then it works.

But yes thanks again, great stuff

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Feb 18 2009 14:44

http://libcom.org/news/police-kill-one-guadeloupe-strike-18022009

this needs some work, it doesn't really give any information about its headline. I've stuck a few things in the commentary.

another picture from the capital

edit: got some wankerish coments on the article too. What's libcom policy on those? Especially as they do have a point on the article saying that a demonstrator was shot by police when he probably wasn't and the article has little to no info on the shooting.

Ex-temp
Feb 20 2009 12:01

That was me, I did it in a rush and got it wrong. I am very very sorry! Have fixed it now, and inserted apology.