Bookmarks

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mike Harman
Dec 8 2008 19:23
Bookmarks

You can now bookmark stuff by clicking the link at the bottom of posts - this goes for any content on the site. These will show in a block in the right column, and also in a tab on your account (you can see other people's bookmarks too). More stuff going to be happening with this soon, but this is a start.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 8 2008 19:34

cool, I've wanted something like this for ages.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Dec 8 2008 20:00

looks like a great feature, but doesn't appear to be working yet (says i haven't added any bookmarks yet when i've just added 4, and the links in the side block don't do anything).

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 8 2008 20:41

I've got a list of 'most bookmarked' content in my sidebar.
I've bookmarked some stuff but it is still coming up as "You haven't bookmarked any content yet."
I've tried a 'hard refresh' and it's still saying that.
Also it's coming up in the format "Title: What is Anarchism?" and they aren't hyperlinks.

edit: the bookmarks are saving though. I can see them on the bookmarks tab on my user profile. hope that helps.

One last unrelated thing. Rob Ray's blog post on Churchill is odd on the front page of the /blog page. Basically the entire article is there on the front page instead of an intro; I imagine because he didn't put a break in for the introduction. Might be worth checking out though.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 8 2008 20:44

My bookmarks are now showing up in the sidebar and they ar hyperlinks. The most bookmarked ones haven't changed though. There also isn't currently any division between 'most bookmarked' and 'my bookmarked'.

Mike Harman
Dec 8 2008 20:57

I've got block caching enabled, clearly this doesn't work well with people adding stuff and wanting to see it appear quickly... working on it.

It looks like crap, also working on that.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 8 2008 21:50

It looks great now mate, nice work.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Dec 8 2008 21:56

yep looking good. to be picky, them triangle bullets would be nice to make it clear where the end of one title ends and the start of the next begins, since they're mostly wrapped over multiple lines

Mike Harman
Dec 8 2008 22:00

which browser you got triangle bullets on? Post a screenshot?

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Dec 8 2008 22:07

sorry was requesting them, not reporting them

Mike Harman
Dec 8 2008 22:13

ahhh. That would've been a very strange bug. Will think about how best to do bullets - was a bit inconsistent on the old site.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Dec 8 2008 22:40

nice work so far. minor thing, now there's a bookmarks tab on user profiles, might be good to rename the 'view' tab 'profile' to be consistent with social networking norms, even if it's hardly facebook.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 8 2008 22:48

Yeah make nice one, this looks excellent.

Is this the module we can use to "feature" stuff on the site? If so, how do we do that?

Mike Harman
Dec 8 2008 22:52

View -> Profile - yeah we should do that.

John - yes it is, but I've not set that up yet. Will add the 'feature' flag now, and do views probably tomorrow.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 9 2008 00:51

Okay, this looks cool.

Does the bookmarks thing have any more functionality than just displaying the most popular ones? Can we see information about popularity and people bookmarking things in more detail? For example, there being a very little to display "people who have bookmarked this article" or perhaps some sort of box with "people who have bookmarked this article also liked..."

And what about the features thing, is that fully working in its final form now? Because if that is the case we are going to have to go through and manually feature loads library and history articles which we might want to display blocks right? Or should we hold off doing that for a bit?

Mike Harman
Dec 9 2008 01:21

Marking stuff as feature ought to work fine. Let's do some basic testing tomorrow before going mad just in case. I can add 'feature' links to teasers so it's quicker to add stuff.

People who bookmarked - that's on its way. It'll be nicer when we've got panels doing user profiles, but that's a way down the line.

I tried to do a 'most popular' page, but that didn't work, will investigate.

'People who bookmarked also liked' could be quite a bit harder, but we'll see. If it gets used a lot, we could do 'popular content in this section' for tags + news/history/library maybe?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 9 2008 01:25

Sounds good. And yes let's test feature with a few bits and pieces. I've done a couple this evening.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 9 2008 01:58

One other thing, when you're looking at other peoples bookmarks tab from their profiles, articles don't seem to be links:
http://libcom.org/user/12/bookmarks

Mike Harman
Dec 9 2008 02:01

fixed. Front page now shows the most recent feature up top, then the next four featured articles below. Very quick and hacky but a start.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Dec 9 2008 11:21

currently, the 'more' in the my bookmarks block goes to http://libcom.org/user/bookmarks, ideally should go to the bookmarks tab of your user profile to avoid duplication imho

Mike Harman
Dec 9 2008 11:57

It should, but I haven't got that working yet - hopefully just temporary though.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Dec 9 2008 12:04

Slight thing, most-popular lists are often self-fulfilling prophecies - people click on the top five more often because it's on the front page and they know it's popular. Could lead to the top five or so articles staying static and getting way more traffic. Dunno if you can time it for 'most poular today' or 'most poular this week'?

Mike Harman
Dec 9 2008 12:08

I might be able to do that yeah, will try.

Mike Harman
Dec 9 2008 12:18

OK got something like that working - it only shows content which was bookmarked in the last week - but still uses total counts for ordering. Obviously it'll take a while to see how that works.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Dec 9 2008 12:29

Nice one cool

Mike Harman
Dec 9 2008 12:32

Tweaked it a bit more, it now orders by recent bookmark time and the count rather than filtering - should give slightly more dynamic results. If it looks too static in a week or so, post back and let me know.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 9 2008 18:50

Looks excellent. Nice work.