Last post
kingzog
Aug 30 2015 19:58

Don't be a party pooper

Fnordie's picture
Fnordie
Aug 31 2015 00:02
Auld-bod wrote:
The up/down voting is interesting as it says as much about the Lib-com readers as the views being expressed. From this thread it is obvious that everyone uses it as they please and no matter what, they are uncontrollable.

kingzog
Aug 31 2015 04:58

https://youtu.be/KXZSF13pM-I

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Aug 31 2015 07:17

The road goes on for ever and the party never ends.

In the novel ‘For Whom The Bell Tolls’, didn’t Hemingway describe the Spanish anarchists as the uncontrollable? Only he wasn’t being admiring in his appraisal, as he was buddying up to the Stalinists. Not so in my case.

plasmatelly's picture
plasmatelly
Aug 31 2015 08:50
Auld-bod wrote:
The road goes on for ever and the party never ends.

In the novel ‘For Whom The Bell Tolls’, didn’t Hemingway describe the Spanish anarchists as the uncontrollable? Only he wasn’t being admiring in his appraisal, as he was buddying up to the Stalinists. Not so in my case.

It's been a while since I read it Auld-bod, but he painted them as dirty, drunken psychopaths iirc (whilst himself choosy the safety of Barcelona bars).

factvalue
Aug 31 2015 11:26
Webby wrote:
A truly credible down vote is earned by posting a comment that is contrary to the majority view but is clearly correct and only invisible to dogmatic old stick in the muds that collected their views in the aisles of the revolutionary supermarket years ago and have clung like a limpet to those views ever since.

Thank fuck!! I thought I was alone!!

factvalue
Aug 31 2015 15:32

Communists, careful with those up votes. For in the words of the great Lewis Mumford - praised be his name -: 'In Egyptian theology, the most singular organ of the Sun God, Re, was the eye: for the Eye of Re had an independent existence and played a creative and directive part in all cosmic and human activities. The computer turns out to be the Eye of the reinstated Sun God, that is, the Eye of the Megamachine, serving as its 'Private Eye' or Detective, as well as the omnipresent Executive Eye, he who exacts absolute conformity to his commands, because no secret can be hidden from him, and no disobedience can go unpunished'. In my limited experience of them - I try to avoid that at all costs - those who too closely identify themselves with this instrumentation tend to be subject to the hallucination that in fact they are, like all other infants everywhere, omnipotent.

And now back to our program, today's episode of libcom.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Aug 31 2015 16:02
factvalue wrote:
Communists, careful with those up votes. For in the words of the great Lewis Mumford - praised be his name -: 'In Egyptian theology, the most singular organ of the Sun God, Re, was the eye: for the Eye of Re had an independent existence and played a creative and directive part in all cosmic and human activities. The computer turns out to be the Eye of the reinstated Sun God, that is, the Eye of the Megamachine, serving as its 'Private Eye' or Detective, as well as the omnipresent Executive Eye, he who exacts absolute conformity to his commands, because no secret can be hidden from him, and no disobedience can go unpunished'. In my limited experience of them - I try to avoid that at all costs - those who too closely identify themselves with this instrumentation tend to be subject to the hallucination that in fact they are, like all other infants everywhere, omnipotent.

And now back to our program, today's episode of libcom.

Verily Sire, I have not a Danny la Rue what you speak of, yet somehow my funny bone feels a rather powerful tickle! So, in the vernacular of the downtrodden classes that (allegedly) frequent this den of tedium and predictability I'll respond to your post thus; LMFAO!

Now operate your keyboards with care comrades, vote the wrong way and here is the fete that awaits you...

http://youtu.be/T5evsxRdkJw

Flint
Aug 31 2015 16:16

It seems inconsistent that we can upvote/downvote comments, but can't do that with articles.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Aug 31 2015 16:20

Ah well, that's communism for you - inconsistency made in to a political science!

S. Artesian
Aug 31 2015 16:26

I'd "up vote" factvalue and Webby, but I'm done doing stupid things.

For now. Temporarily. At least for the next hour.

Meanwhile, I'm going to wear my Bernie Sanders button proudly.

factvalue
Aug 31 2015 18:34

U.P. up - makes y' think don't it?...

factvalue
Aug 31 2015 19:33
Webby wrote:
Ah well, that's communism for you - inconsistency made in to a political science!

Politics and science are inconsistent already (as is any interesting logical system) and science and communism have a very turbulent relationship. As when two individualist ceramic buffalo wrestling at the edge of a cliff morph into sky blue stained glass dolphins pouring out sinister metallic Elizabethan lute music and tumble into the sea mumbling under their breath and fondling miniature emerald waistcoats, after science and communism were invented by Antoni di Thumbelina in 1312 nothing interesting ever happened again, just look at this site for example. The easy up/down mass reactions of certain of the enlightened punters in this puddle of electromagnetic entropy at the merest hint of any disagreement with moth-balled assumptions or dogma are no more profound or important than any other cliquey, nerdy version of sun-reader war hysteria. But it's our own faults really. For precisely the length of time that we allow weirdoes to take out a lease on our eyes and brains we give up our autonomy, so for that duration we will not be libertarian communists, in spite of the logo, or indeed the tennis.

A worse hell than the quiverers would surely be a room with no windows and this?

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Aug 31 2015 20:08
Quote:
A worse hell than the quiverers would surely be a room with no windows and this?

Crikey, I can think of much worse than that but this particular can of worms has been studied at length more than once. We all know the conclusions well enough:

Jimi Hendrix was a knob.

Patti Smith should take a bath.

Crooning by the likes of Tony Bennet, Frank Sinatra etc is inexcusable.

Barbie Girl is the best record ever made.

Nothing more to discuss.

Fnordie's picture
Fnordie
Aug 31 2015 21:59
Webby wrote:
a comment that is contrary to the majority view but is clearly correct and only invisible to dogmatic old stick in the muds

There is no meaningful distinction between "anarchist-communists" and "libertarian Marxists," sometimes business unions do good things, and Rojava is kind of cool.

factvalue
Aug 31 2015 22:12

Weberino - I down voted you on neurotic-aesthetic grounds, for the symmetry, for the symmetry.

kingzog
Sep 1 2015 08:16

Lenin wasn't so bad.

factvalue
Sep 1 2015 10:37
Webby wrote:
Crikey, I can think of much worse than that

Yeah me too, 'new complexity' stuff like this might be a bit much after a few weeks but for sheer anti-life, anti-art, brass-necked baffling pretention and no-talent cultural nihilism, nothing could surely function more effectively as reverse art-therapy to loosen the already weak grip on reality of the regular addled inmate of the social prison than to abandon oneself to the belief that these fuckwits are anything but members of the vanguard of cultural regimentation and demoralisation as this culture pushes out further and further away from genuine aesthetic creativity.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Sep 1 2015 11:07

Haha, I see what you did there, poking a stick in my existential ants nest. Hardly a fair fight though comrade - the might of your intellectual Mike Tyson to my Frank Bruno! All the same, as an attempt at a rebuttal, try this one on your pianola!

http://youtu.be/kP-8q0Bd0v8

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Sep 1 2015 13:39
factvalue
Sep 1 2015 14:12

I dunno though, that was a strong left upper cut, if a bit below the belt. Even though I'd only got 5 seconds in, I had to switch off the machine and go and jam my nuts in a drawer. Get in there Frank!!

Fleur
Sep 1 2015 14:42

Mike Tyson - rapist.
Frank Bruno - wife beater.

You two really need to do some work on your comedy act.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Sep 1 2015 14:48
Fleur wrote:
Mike Tyson - rapist.

I had no idea but then celebrity sleaze more often than not passes me by.

ocelot's picture
ocelot
Sep 1 2015 15:57

I would also be in favour of making public the authors of up/down votes. But the technical implementation might turn out to be too much of a pain in the arse to bother with. Still, the ability to challenge people on their votes would be potentially interesting.

factvalue
Sep 1 2015 16:11
Quote:
Mike Tyson - rapist.

Yeah, fair enough ... no it's no use, I'm going to have to take the bate... if you agree to get another lens in addition to this one and, no offence but all that safe-as-houses, hackneyed 'science' dogma you trot out trite trope after trope, yawn by yawn.

Fnordie's picture
Fnordie
Sep 1 2015 16:36

"Jeez, being conscious of violence against women is so cliche, why don't you get a better reality tunnel"

RAW was a douchebag and so are you. I should change my username.

plasmatelly's picture
plasmatelly
Sep 1 2015 17:41
kingzog wrote:
Lenin wasn't so bad.

I can't keep up with what's serious or not on here - but I hope ffs this isn't.

factvalue
Sep 1 2015 18:41
Fnordie wrote:
RAW was a douchebag and so are you. I should change my username.

Well with a name like 'Fnordie' who can blame you, that's the name my two year old calls her pet rabbit.

Dear President 'Fnordie'

Why so angry? Are you in love with Fleur or something? It's because I'm a protestant isn't it? Or, at least, it's because I've met and spoken with several protestants over the years, in shops and stuff. What else could it be? It couldn't be the referencing of that Husserl/phenomenology plugging dickhead Wilson. I liked the quote is all, what's the problem with that? Nah, it must be the protestant thing. You need to wind your head in, that's the sort of thing that can get out and ruin your reputation.

Yours sincerely,

Baby Doc

Fleur
Sep 1 2015 18:17

Factvalue

I don't need down votes, verbose pretentious language or memes of neckbeardy, acid brain fried dead dudes to tell you you're just being a twat now.

factvalue
Sep 1 2015 18:19

Twat is sexist - you take that back!

Topic locked