Serge Forward
Sep 3 2015 13:56

I just knew it'd end in tears.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Sep 3 2015 14:15
Serge Forward wrote:
Right. What have I missed?

What you've missed is basically me spitting my dummy out on account of being pissed off with some of the people on here that think they're big shots and get their knickers in a right old knot if anyone dares to challenge their authoritah!!
http://youtu.be/gx4jn77VKlQ

The performance included a sideshow of me being a snarky wanker and Fleur stubbornly steamrollering through any valid points made and slinging insults.
From the word go the performance indicated the dark inevitability of Greek tradegy - it was only ever gonna end one way.

So it's now established, I'm Libcoms answer to Jerry Sadowitz and Fleur is the Dame Helen Mirren of Anarchy.

In all seriousness though, not my finest moment. I stick to the point I was making but as my mum always said, two wrongs don't make a right. So I'll try harder next time and sorry if anyone got caught in the crossfire.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Sep 3 2015 14:18

DP. My broadband needs s kick in the bollocks.

Agent of the International's picture
Agent of the In...
Sep 3 2015 14:19

Well, I always thought that libcom handled the animal liberation issue quite well.

As for the up/down voting system, I think there should only be an option to up vote a post, and it should tell you from who that up vote came from. And when someone disagrees, they can reply with their own post, and others can up that one if they agree with that side being presented. This way we can know where posters stand on an issue.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Sep 3 2015 14:31
Quote:
Well, I always thought that libcom handled the animal liberation issue quite well.

Please tell me you're joking mate? It doesn't matter what you position is, from tree hugging nitwit to hog roast for breakfast merchant, surely no one can think it's ever been anything other than a disaster?

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Sep 3 2015 14:36

I like the named votes idea... a range of up/down options would be dead good. It could say summat like:

Quote:
Serge Forward thinks you: a) make an excellent point; b) talk sense, to a degree; c) talk nonsense; d) sound like a right fucking shitsack

Agent of the In...
Sep 3 2015 15:06
Webby wrote:
Quote:

Please tell me you're joking mate? It doesn't matter what you position is, from tree hugging nitwit to hog roast for breakfast merchant, surely no one can think it's ever been anything other than a disaster?

Haven't a lot of other threads been "disaster", depending on which angle your looking at it from?

Fleur
Sep 3 2015 15:09

What Webby means is that most people disagreed with him, especially when he was calling people revolting and cunts when they did.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Sep 3 2015 15:19

Oh gawd, not again.

ocelot's picture
ocelot
Sep 3 2015 15:39
Chilli Sauce wrote:
ocelot wrote:
I would also be in favour of making public the authors of up/down votes. But the technical implementation might turn out to be too much of a pain in the arse to bother with. Still, the ability to challenge people on their votes would be potentially interesting.

Wouldn't that ultimately bring back the constant I agree/I disagree comments the admins say the up/down system helps curtail?

Not necessarily. There would be people you would expect to downvote you, or others you know are not worth engaging in conversation - ever. That wouldn't spark any particular additional commentary.

What would be interesting would be the rarer times when you see someone you would normally expect to be on the same page as, or someone who normally has something interesting to say, on the downvote list. The same goes for upvotes. I occassionally upvote posts from people who I otherwise am in complete disagreement with, nearly all of the time. Unexpected agreement is also interesting.

As a side benefit, you would get a lot more pairs of eyes watching for obvious sock puppetry or similar. But that's probably incidental.

ocelot's picture
ocelot
Sep 3 2015 16:06
Agent of the Fifth International wrote:
As for the up/down voting system, I think there should only be an option to up vote a post, and it should tell you from who that up vote came from. And when someone disagrees, they can reply with their own post, and others can up that one if they agree with that side being presented. This way we can know where posters stand on an issue.

That would be my second preference. In order of preference, from most to least:

1. public up/down votes
2. public up votes only (the FB option)
3. anon up/down votes (current)
4. no feedback votes (libcommunity ancien regime option)

edit: just realised that Chili's OP listed anon up votes only as a second preference. In my order that would go in at 4, above none.

Fleur
Sep 3 2015 16:08

So you and the other Chuckle Brother feel that you can quite happily be rude and insulting to posters but the we were just 'aving a larf defence makes it alright. And yes I was slinging insults, factvalue, the grandiose nasty little shit, started it. But you gave him a nice little pat on the head for his "piquant" posting, as he was abusing several posters in this thread, so lets not forget that one. Any points you made, valid or not, mostly not, may well have been steamrolled through, as you told me to calm down dear, have a little humility and self reflection, you couldn't be any more patronizing.

Tone policing - when you tell someone who reacts to an attack or an insult that not to react in such a way, invalidating someone's feelings because you don't like it.

Then with an astonishing lack of self-awareness, you post up a 5 point platform of how you would like to have a discussion, with no room to manuever in it for disagreement, the 5th point being if someone doesn't agree then they are fucking idiots. Adding that if someone doesn't agree they should fuck off. And if they don't agree they should shut up. This coming from your argument that people here are too dogmatic and don't open their minds to other points of view.

You two are just having a massive sulk about having people disagree with you. Factvalue had his ass handed to him on a platter on another thread by a dozen or so posters, for talking utter horse shit and you feel aggrieved that discussion on an issue in which most people, here and everywhere else, don't hold the same opinion as you didn't turn into a little circle jerk of affirmation for you. You've been poking the bear for weeks, nursing a grudge and trying to get the argument back on the table but when someone offered you a discussion, you turned it down.

Agent of the In...
Sep 3 2015 16:44
ocelot wrote:
Agent of the Fifth International wrote:

That would be my second preference. In order of preference, from most to least:

1. public up/down votes
2. public up votes only (the FB option)
3. anon up/down votes (current)
4. no feedback votes (libcommunity ancien regime option)

edit: just realised that Chili's OP listed anon up votes only as a second preference. In my order that would go in at 4, above none.

I think everyone else should list their most to least preferred voting systems. And we can come up with some kind of weighted ranking to see which one wins.

Me:
1. Public up votes only
2. Public up/down votes
3. Anon up/down votes
4. Anon up votes only
5. No feedback votes

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Sep 3 2015 16:50

Ok. You win. You seem to know what I think, feel and mean far better than I do. I bow down to you as Libcom Arbiter of EVERYTHING.
You just cannot see any point of view as valid that departs from your own. My 5 points were a dig at that very tactic that you and others employ. Irony, yes? I know, I know, an egotistical wank off and entirely inferior to your well honed hob nailed boot approach. It doesn't matter what you say or how poor my behaviour has been over the last few weeks(which I admit, leaves a lot to be desired), I know that my feelings and intentions are genuine and I also know that at least several others feel exactly the same. And none of the others are non meat eaters so don't pull that one.
Fleur, you obviously can't see it but when people disagree with you, even in the most respectful way you get real nasty, real quick. Why does this bother me? Well, generally it's bad form on a forum but mostly because we used to be pretty friendly and exchanged PMs and emails in which we were very open with each other about some pretty dark shit with our kids etc. I liked and respected you. Do you really think that I am the sort of person would discard all that and get a resentment with just because they're not a vegan? Not one of my RL good friends are vegan. My partner of nearly 33 years won't even eat any meal at all if it doesn't contain meat or cheese. If I saw one of my RL friends throwing their weight around I'd call them out on the spot. My mistake here was that I put it off for months. So there's the simple truth although I repeat this was never just about you, you've just become the focus.
I'm not doing it any more though. If you want to deconstruct my words until you've broken them down in to a pile of shit, feel free, the floor is yours.

Topic locked