Unwanted communications through libcom

Submitted by Reddebrek on April 6, 2016

This happened a few weeks ago, but the more I think about the more it bothers me. I left a comment on this article. Then I noticed a strange thing in my email spam folder, two emails with [Libcom.org] notification in the subject line. Both were by some guy replying to my comment. I get a lot of spam in my gmail account so at first I thought this meant I had PM's and I'd just never seen the email notifies before. But there's nothing in my inbox.

How did this self declared ex user send me an e-mail through this site? I've had a look around my profile settings in case I accidentally left my email address visible, but I don't believe this is the case.

admin: thread renamed to avoid confusion

jef costello

8 years ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by jef costello on April 6, 2016

There is a 'contact' tab on your profile, but I think it sends an email viq libcom (so the sender's address is displayed to the recipient but the recipient's address isn't given to the sender.

radicalgraffiti

8 years ago

Submitted by radicalgraffiti on April 6, 2016

if i go to your profile and select contact there is a form to send you an email, it doesn't show me your email address, but it looks like it would show you mine

Reddebrek

8 years ago

Submitted by Reddebrek on April 6, 2016

Okay, that makes sense, but this guy said he wasn't a member anymore, we do have to be logged in to see the contact tab right?

Joseph Kay

8 years ago

Submitted by Joseph Kay on April 7, 2016

They might be a 'former' user in the sense they don't post any more, but they'd have to be logged in to use the contact form.

Reddebrek

8 years ago

Submitted by Reddebrek on April 7, 2016

Joseph Kay

They might be a 'former' user in the sense they don't post any more, but they'd have to be logged in to use the contact form.

Apparently this is the case, the creep has sent me another email complaining about me querying a site function I wasn't aware of. So he's "left" the site but still uses its functions and obsessively checks for references to himself, I intentionally didn't name the guy for this very reason. Not exactly going cold turkey.

Is there a way to turn this feature off? I can't see it in the account settings tab.

Edit: actually I've just seen the checkbox and have unchecked it.

radicalgraffiti

8 years ago

Submitted by radicalgraffiti on April 7, 2016

edit: to slow

if you go to your account page and select edit there should be a section "Contact settings" with a tick box for " Personal contact form"

(an admin told me this years ago)

Steven.

8 years ago

Submitted by Steven. on April 8, 2016

Hi Reddebrek, sending harassing personal messages is against libcom's posting guidelines. So do feel free to send us an e-mail or private message with more information about this so we can take action like warn/ban the user.