Getting rid of user account path aliases

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mike Harman
Nov 14 2010 12:53
Getting rid of user account path aliases

We're getting more and more requests for username changes, this is really easy to do, but to make it even easier i'm going to disable user aliases - so your user account will be user/12345 instead of user/user-name. This doesn't really affect anything but in case anyone notices and thinks it's broken.

Mike Harman
Nov 14 2010 13:00

Done.

gypsy
Nov 14 2010 13:05
Mike Harman wrote:
Done.

Does this mean that if choccy changes his name to MARKCARRICKAREA again, that if you click on his name it won't show his original name choccy and will only show the changed name? confused Do you understand what I am trying to say. embarrassed

Mike Harman
Nov 14 2010 13:10

Now when I click/hover on your username, you'll see http://libcom.org/user/12849 as opposed to http://libcom.org/user/allybaba. So if you change your username to fourtythieves, it'll still be user/12849.

Note that the quote function is only using actual usernames, so if you change your username, old threads where people were quoting you will still reference the old one. So if you have a serious privacy issue in relation to a username change then let me know when asking and if I'll do my best to update the db for those cases, but I hope there's not too many of these 'cos that's a real pain.

gypsy
Nov 14 2010 13:11

Ok cheers. No worries I won't ask you to update the db wink

Caiman del Barrio
Nov 14 2010 13:16

Mike - the old posts thing could be a problem for me...sorry! embarrassed

If you could do it as and when when old threads are revived (the one on "popular protest" for example)...

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Nov 14 2010 13:18

I’m wondering if there’s a facility to put a note on the signup when people are choosing their names along the lines of “Libcom is known to be read by the police and media. New users are strongly advised to adopt a pseudonym for use on the forums.”

gypsy
Nov 14 2010 13:23
Rob Ray wrote:
I’m wondering if there’s a facility to put a note on the signup when people are choosing their names along the lines of “Libcom is known to be read by the police and media. New users are strongly advised to adopt a pseudonym for use on the forums.”

I agree 100% btw its not just the police and the media, its the far right aswell as revol on redwatch can testify wink .

Mike Harman
Nov 14 2010 13:34

Caiman - I've done yours. This only works for cases when someone has used the quote feature properly, it won't work for people just addressing you, and there's no way to do a global find and replace on that. Note it will take some time for caches to clear before the changes show up, especially on recently viewed threads, but eventually it'll cycle through.

If it comes to it, if you've been posting for ages, we know you well, and we don't think you'd abuse it, we'd likely give people comment editing permissions to clean things up themselves in emergencies, again, let me know (via pm) if you need something like this.

@Rob - yes that's doable, and I've just done it.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Nov 14 2010 14:04

Yeah plus there's other bits like not putting your mugshot up as a profile pic, making sure you mix and regularly change passwords and never use things like known political figures from your particular cause.

If you work in something sensitive don't use your named account to link to political groups, people or places simply for the sake of "supporting" it - which is a mostly meaningless gesture which implicates you and potentially any mates of yours who also sign up. It's piss easy to work out the political affiliations of hundreds of people from stuff like replying "yes I'll be attending [insert political event here]."

Actually thinking about this, might do some pruning on my account tonight...

Also, as an additional to the warning, might be an idea to throw some as many online security tips as possible into a page in the library and link directly?

edit: will surf through these in a bit and pull anything useful:

http://epic.org/privacy/tools.html
http://www.cdt.org/privacy/guide
http://www.eff.org/wp/effs-top-12-ways-protect-your-online-privacy

Awesome Dude's picture
Awesome Dude
Nov 14 2010 14:18

There's a lot of name tagging of pics on facebook. Might be worthwhile asking comrades to stop this practice.

Mike Harman
Nov 14 2010 14:44

Specific things to google (I just went through these and found a couple of beauties)

1. Google your real name to make sure there's nothing too obvious in the first few pages of results.
2. Google your username
3. Google your username + real name
4. Google your username + libcom (or any organisations you might be a member of etc.)
5. Google your real name + libcom

gypsy
Nov 14 2010 17:48
Xander wrote:
Mike Harman wrote:
Specific things to google (I just went through these and found a couple of beauties)

1. Google your real name to make sure there's nothing too obvious in the first few pages of results.
2. Google your username
3. Google your username + real name
4. Google your username + libcom (or any organisations you might be a member of etc.)
5. Google your real name + libcom

While you're at it search your username and real name on photobucket, flickr, deviantart and do a google images search for good measure.

Did you delete your old bebo/hi5/friends reunited account or is it still sitting wide open with pictures of a spotty teenage you in it?

Google your mobile number.

Have a look at www.192.com

Check any domains you own are private http://whois.domaintools.com

Cheers for tips mate.

mons
Nov 14 2010 23:37

This is useful. If there is obvious stuff on a google search how would you get rid of it?

Mike Harman
Nov 15 2010 01:55

If it's your own posts you need to go back and edit them. If it's not, then you need to contact the sites directly and ask them to sort it out for you (if that's possible).

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Nov 15 2010 10:09
Rob Ray wrote:

yeah, this is a good idea - I think we have a short note like this, but it would be great to get a page of these together like you suggest and put it in the organise section, then we could link to the full list.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Nov 15 2010 11:49

I noticed this, seems like a good idea.

The advice above about security is good. In terms of facebook nothing should be visible to anyone apart from friends. Otherwise they can just trawl your friends list for someone who'll add them or who can sell them pictures, info. Even the wall should be private as private galleries published to the wall are visible etc.

mons
Nov 15 2010 12:22
Quote:
If it's your own posts you need to go back and edit them. If it's not, then you need to contact the sites directly and ask them to sort it out for you (if that's possible).

Thanks, but I deleted the thing that was on the google seach, did that maybe a month ago, and it's still there.. just when you click on the link there's nothing there to do with me.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Nov 15 2010 12:32

Yeah it'll be stuck in google cache, you can request that it be taken down I think.

Mike Harman
Nov 15 2010 12:33

That's most likely google not having updated either the index for that page or the ranking. You can check the former by looking at the cached version. If the latter doesn't change even though the cached version has, then I'm not sure.

mons
Nov 15 2010 12:42

I don't know what a google cache is, how do I see the 'cached version'? And how can you request for it to be taken down?
Thanks, I'm shit with computers.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Nov 15 2010 12:53

On the search results, if you look at the bottom right side of each entry there should be a cache link like this one.

That's basically what the Google webcrawler picked up when searching through the page and put on the company's server. They've got a walkthrough for deleting things here.

mons
Nov 15 2010 13:16

OK thanks. I've requested the page not show up. Yeah the thing only appeared in the cached version.

Sidney Huffman
Nov 15 2010 19:02
blackrainbow wrote:
There's a lot of name tagging of pics on facebook. Might be worthwhile asking comrades to stop this practice.

Oh this boils my piss!! I have been tagged with my real name ( i use a joke name on fb) in pictures by people I don't even know and there is no way to stop it as far as I know.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Nov 15 2010 21:17

If the tag links to your profile then you can delete it, otherwise there's not much you can do apart from ask them to delete it.

Rudolf_Rocker
Feb 12 2013 20:03