issues

100 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lazy Riser's picture
Lazy Riser
Offline
Joined: 6-05-05
Jul 25 2006 16:16

Hi The default font for me is 12pt. What does the "Path: p" thing mean? Love LR

libcom's picture
libcom
Offline
Joined: 20-03-05
Jul 25 2006 17:38

path: p thing tells you what html you're adding the corner on the right of that line lets you resize the input box.

magnifico
Offline
Joined: 29-11-05
Jul 25 2006 20:08

I'm scared, everything's big and narrow and wierd here and it takes ages to scroll down to the bottom of the page and makes me feel sick with all the scrolling sad

magnifico
Offline
Joined: 29-11-05
Jul 25 2006 20:30

Seriously this is really big and narrow and unpleasant for me to read. Is this just something to do with my computer or is it like this for everyone?

libcom's picture
libcom
Offline
Joined: 20-03-05
Jul 25 2006 20:46

what's big? you mean long? most people have been complaining it's all too small. I can reduce the number of comments per page - will try that now. We're hoping to make things a little wider yes. 

magnifico
Offline
Joined: 29-11-05
Jul 25 2006 20:53

Yeah that's a bit better. I meant all the writing is much bigger (about 4 times bigger), and as a result each post is narrower (in relation to the writing). It's much more difficult to read because I have to be scrolling down the whole time. Also I can scroll sideways to the right across the screen for ages and it's all blank - that can't be right. Sounds like it's just me though..... any idea what I could do about it?

libcom's picture
libcom
Offline
Joined: 20-03-05
Jul 25 2006 21:00

can you tell me: browser (and version)operating systemthe text size in view/settingsscreen resolution  And if you have another browser on your computer, please try in that as well. 

magnifico
Offline
Joined: 29-11-05
Jul 25 2006 21:09

I don't even know what a browser is, or how to find out what size the text is. Don't worry about explaining further, i know you've got lots to do on the site, I'll find out from somebody else. Just thought you might want to know as other not particularly computer literate people who are unaware that their browser is inadequate may be put off if the site looks like it does to me. I've only come across sites looking all big and wierd and difficult to navigate like this a few times before, I assumed they were just shit but it looks like it's something wrong with my browser or whatever. Thanks anyways smile

libcom's picture
libcom
Offline
Joined: 20-03-05
Jul 25 2006 21:44

Sorry I'll ask in English this time. The last person who had serious layout problems with the site was as (well to be honest more) computer literate than me so I assumed you had an unusual setup.  Browser:Are you using internet explorer?If not is it netscape, safari, firefox or something else like that? These are all browsers, see, you do know what one is wink Operating system:are you using windows or mac or something else? That'll narrow it down a lot. If you do get help from someone else, and they manage to fix it, please let us know what the problem was - we only really started on the look of the site a couple of days ago so there's lots of work still to do. 

magnifico
Offline
Joined: 29-11-05
Jul 25 2006 22:18

Internet explorer and windows. So I guess it's not those, cos they're common aren't they. It must be something else specific to my computer, since no-one else seems to know what I'm on about. Will look into it!

lem
Offline
Joined: 25-07-05
Jul 26 2006 04:09

Erm, I had to reselect the smilies option, and I still can't find them... also, no quote button, or so it seems... It also seems to want to log me in every time I visit without me asking it to do so... and I can't copy text.dunno. maybe these are minor problems.

libcom's picture
libcom
Offline
Joined: 20-03-05
Jul 26 2006 07:23

Magnifico. Can you try something for me? In Internet explorer, go to view >> text size >> medium you could also try view >> text size >> smaller or smallest I think that might fix it. 

libcom's picture
libcom
Offline
Joined: 20-03-05
Jul 26 2006 07:33
lem wrote:
Erm, I had to reselect the smilies option, and I still can't find them... also, no quote button, or so it seems... It also seems to want to log me in every time I visit without me asking it to do so... and I can't copy text.dunno. maybe these are minor problems.

lem,

smilies - did you go to my account > edit > block configuration? Maybe try that one more time, if that doesn't work let us know.

There's a quote button next to every post, and the indent button allows you to put a quote box around things.
Not sure about cpying text - you can't copy it or you can't paste it?

If you're having login troubles, try deleting your libcom.org cookies.

Hope some of this helps!

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jul 26 2006 09:56

i think that making the text for no. posts, last post, etc. on forums index smaller would be good:

71 hour 31 min agoby Nemo15 min 54 sec agoby Nemo

magnifico
Offline
Joined: 29-11-05
Jul 26 2006 10:09
libcom wrote:
Magnifico. Can you try something for me? In Internet explorer, go to view >> text size >> medium you could also try view >> text size >> smaller or smallest I think that might fix it. 

 Woohoo! I've got my proper-sized libcom back! Joy of joys! smile Yes, it was set as 'largest', don't know why, I didn't even know you could change it like that. Thanks!

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jul 26 2006 10:13

If you've got a mouse with a scroll button you can just click anywhere on the screen then hold down CTRL and scroll forwards or backwards to make text bigger or smaller as well.

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Offline
Joined: 21-05-04
Jul 26 2006 11:00

couple questions:

1. is this more or less how it is going to look? I mean is it not going to be the good old PHPBB based forum at all in the future?

2. Where is the "view new posts" link? or am i totally blind...

3. SolFed internal forum is gone.

4. forum RSS feeds? Or should we just remove them from sites which use them?

good luck with the marathon ahead!

libcom's picture
libcom
Offline
Joined: 20-03-05
Jul 26 2006 11:26
JDMF wrote:
couple questions:

1. is this more or less how it is going to look? I mean is it not going to be the good old PHPBB based forum at all in the future?

No I don't think we're going to go back to phpbb because we're fed up getting hacked and the upgrade process was becoming a nightmare. This is only three days down the line, I expect it'll improve a lot over the enxt couple of weeks.

There's a lot of thing about these forums which'll be better than the old system - tagging, very customisable url aliasing, integrated login with the rest of the site, stuff like that, but we need to get the rest of the site over here before that becomes obvious!

Quote:
2. Where is the "view new posts" link? or am i totally blind...

"Latest Content" or "View Active Topics" is the equivalent - shows you the latest posted or commented on topic, but not who the last person to comment was yet.

Quote:
3. SolFed internal forum is gone.

It's still there but you can't see it. We'll be sorting that some time today all being well.

Quote:
4. forum RSS feeds? Or should we just remove them from sites which use them?

Already there - look at RSS feeds in the left menu. At the moment you can't get rss feeds for comments, only new topics, but once we've sorted some issues with comment feeds we'll be enabling those as well. We're also planning to do a custom front page for the forums once we've got comment feeds up and running which should be easier to navigate and a bit shorter!

Quote:
good luck with the marathon ahead!

Thanks!

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jul 26 2006 13:56

yo, was thinking, I think that for the who's online stuff it would be best to have the tiny "number of users online" box, which links to a page with a complete list of all online users. cos having a list of users with only 10 on is kinda silly...

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jul 26 2006 17:12

when logged out user box with register, enter user + password text is massive.

also links to users, in forum index and who's online aren't hyperlinks

libcom's picture
libcom
Offline
Joined: 20-03-05
Jul 26 2006 18:15
John. wrote:
when logged out user box with register, enter user + password text is massive.

I can put taht in right column. Want to make the left column smaller anyway.

Quote:
also links to users, in forum index and who's online aren't hyperlinks

Yeah I set access to profiles off for unregistered users, could switch it on but I figured if the profiles start having contact forms and other stuff it might help stop spam bots, spammers, and people fishing for personal information.

libcom's picture
libcom
Offline
Joined: 20-03-05
Jul 26 2006 18:18
John. wrote:
yo, was thinking, I think that for the who's online stuff it would be best to have the tiny "number of users online" box, which links to a page with a complete list of all online users. cos having a list of users with only 10 on is kinda silly...

I took all the users off, that looks shit as well though. I take it you meant "a" number of users on-line box, because we don't currently have one that does that.

Back to 10 for now. If we can fix it to display ok down the bottom, we could set it higher.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jul 26 2006 18:39
libcom wrote:
John. wrote:
yo, was thinking, I think that for the who's online stuff it would be best to have the tiny "number of users online" box, which links to a page with a complete list of all online users. cos having a list of users with only 10 on is kinda silly...

I took all the users off, that looks shit as well though. I take it you meant "a" number of users on-line box, because we don't currently have one that does that.

Back to 10 for now. If we can fix it to display ok down the bottom, we could set it higher.

I meant this bit: "Who's online
There are currently 7 users and 3 guests online."
Then that has a link to see who's online and that page shows everyone. cos with an integrated site we'll be getting a lot more users, and a lot more online being shown as being online.

Also a "go to last post in thread" link on thread indexes would be great.

libcom's picture
libcom
Offline
Joined: 20-03-05
Jul 26 2006 18:50
John. wrote:
I meant this bit: "Who's online
There are currently 7 users and 3 guests online."
Then that has a link to see who's online and that page shows everyone. cos with an integrated site we'll be getting a lot more users, and a lot more online being shown as being online.

OK I thought you meant we already had that.

Quote:
Also a "go to last post in thread" link on thread indexes would be great.

That's going to be very tricky I think.

ghostzart
Offline
Joined: 19-06-06
Jul 26 2006 19:10
Quote:
Also a "go to last post in thread" link on thread indexes would be great.

They already have that, unless I misunderstand you. When you view the forum and it shows the list of topics, it'll say something like "6 new" to mean there's 6 new messages in a particular thread. If you click that rather than the subject of the thread it'll take you to the last one posted. Edit: Nevermind, I think I know now what you meant. You were referring to the way it is in phpBB with the little link next to the last poster's name in the furthest-to-the-right column. 

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jul 26 2006 20:49

ghostzart yeah that's what i meant.

also, clicking to go to the new posts in a thread doesn't seem to work most of the time...

libcom's picture
libcom
Offline
Joined: 20-03-05
Jul 26 2006 21:01

I think the problem is that comments don't appear to have "a name" tags which'd allow html links straight to them.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jul 26 2006 21:10
libcom wrote:
I think the problem is that comments don't appear to have "a name" tags which'd allow html links straight to them.

hmmm, sometimes #new goes to later ones, so surely they must have some label no?

libcom's picture
libcom
Offline
Joined: 20-03-05
Jul 26 2006 21:20

yeah should have then. Need to look into it.

ghostzart
Offline
Joined: 19-06-06
Jul 27 2006 00:09
libcom wrote:
yeah should have then. Need to look into it.

You can do it by rewriting the code a little to add HTML anchors to each comment inside of the nodes. Then you just figure out which post has the newest timestamp in a particular thread and make a link to it. Each node keeps track of the last comment in node_comment_statistics. You can look up the node id and last_timestamp with this, compare it to the timestamp in the comments table, and get the comment id. To build an array of all the comments which are the last comment posted for every forum node, the sql would look like this: select comments.cid, node_comment_statistics.nid from comments, node_comment_statistics where node_comment_statistics.last_comment_timestamp = comments.timestamp;

Edit: bah, all the formatting is messed up for my example.