issues

100 posts / 0 new
Last post
libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 27 2006 00:21

don't worry that'll keep us going for a bit.

Lone Wolf's picture
Lone Wolf
Jul 27 2006 02:55

Hi guysI know you warned us this was coming but I'm still a bit overwhelmed by it all! Help!Questions I am aware of thus far are:a) How long do you think this will take to be completed approx?b)Where are the emoticons? Other peeps have used them - why can't I???c)Why have my imp. two threads in Thought - on Evil and Rationality - disappeared when plenty of others inc. older ones remain???d) Bit confused re: pms. Received two while I was away. The first showed in both the old forum AND beta inboxes. The more recent - bizarelly- appeared only in the old inbox. I have sent pms using the old inbox from the old forums as it is far more user-friendly and allows me to use emoticons etc. They appear to have been sent.Will the receipients know they have been received as they have gone via the old inbox? I am confused and tired and wish I could talk to a human!!! Can't even do the sad emoticon!!! Know you're busy peeps but would appreciate your feedback!Good luck in the meantime with it allLoveLW X

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jul 27 2006 07:11

LW, if you click on the 'my account' link on the left, then on the 'edit' tab, you can tick a box for "Smileys on submission pages" - this displays (down the right hand side when making posts) what you have to type for each smilie to appear e.g. colon close bracket is yer classic smilie smile (just ignore the " " which seems to be a buggy bit of this feature).  Libcom peeps: the "recent popular content" and "create content" links are sitting on top of each other atm with latest firefox/windows pc at 1024 x 768 res. "Recent Popular" is ok but the"content" spills over into the next line and overlays the next link.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jul 27 2006 07:12

and after i post it takes me back to the start not the end of the thread.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Jul 27 2006 08:09

Sidebar is overwriting 'recent popular content' over 'create comment' (firefox 1800 screen). For some reason whenever I hit the backspace key the screen jumps and a shadow of what I'm writing appears while the delete function is happening. 

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jul 27 2006 08:44
Lone Wolf wrote:
c)Why have my imp. two threads in Thought - on Evil and Rationality - disappeared when plenty of others inc. older ones remain???

There is a problem with polls, if you look under "active discussions" it should be there.

Quote:
d) Bit confused re: pms. Received two while I was away. The first showed in both the old forum AND beta inboxes. The more recent - bizarelly- appeared only in the old inbox. I have sent pms using the old inbox from the old forums as it is far more user-friendly and allows me to use emoticons etc. They appear to have been sent.Will the receipients know they have been received as they have gone via the old inbox? 

The old forums and the new ones are not connected in that way LW. PMs that were in the inbox when Catch made a copy of the old forums and converted it into the new software will be in both inboxes. Any PMs sent after the copy was made will only be in the forum that they were sent in, so you may wish to resend them in the new forums. You can check, on the old forums, if someone has read a pm by clicking on "outbox" any messages in there have not been opened.

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 27 2006 09:14
Quote:
Sidebar is overwriting 'recent popular content' over 'create comment' (firefox 1800 screen).

I shrunk down popular content, let me know if it's ok now.

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 27 2006 09:19
Lone Wolf wrote:
Hi guysI know you warned us this was coming but I'm still a bit overwhelmed by it all! Help!Questions I am aware of thus far are:a) How long do you think this will take to be completed approx?

No idea.

Quote:
c)Why have my imp. two threads in Thought - on Evil and Rationality - disappeared when plenty of others inc. older ones remain???

Polls aren't wel integrated into the forums in this system, you can find them at libcom.org.uk/polls 

Quote:
d) Bit confused re: pms. Received two while I was away. The first showed in both the old forum AND beta inboxes. The more recent - bizarelly- appeared only in the old inbox. I have sent pms using the old inbox from the old forums as it is far more user-friendly and allows me to use emoticons etc. They appear to have been sent.Will the receipients know they have been received as they have gone via the old inbox?

We copied everything over, but anything you send from the old system will stay there, anything in the new system will stay here. And we're in the process od shutting the old onesdown.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jul 27 2006 09:50
libcom wrote:
I shrunk down popular content, let me know if it's ok now.

Yep, its displaying fine now. 

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jul 27 2006 13:09

The daily mail link in this thread is overlapping the post content area by about 5px (firefox/windows/1024x768). And the URL button didn't appear to work so i manually put the url tags on the 'this thread' link.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jul 27 2006 13:27

where it says 'forum information' on the right the words are displayed on separate lines 'cos they don't fit, but the lines overlap a little (readable but odd) (again: firefox/windows/1024x768)

Lazy Riser's picture
Lazy Riser
Jul 27 2006 13:58

<span style="color: #666666; font-family: Verdana"><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class="MsoNormal">Hi<br /></p><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class="MsoNormal">1.<br />The default font for entering comments (12pt) is too big. The RTF/HTML thing is temperamental on copy and paste from Word and Notepad and doesn’t seem to retain line breaks when it’s edited.</p><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class="MsoNormal">2.<br />I’d really love a way to get to the end of the topic from the index or tracker with one click.</p><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class="MsoNormal">3.<br />The search doesn’t seem to work.</p><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class="MsoNormal">4.<br />After posting – you shoot back to the first page. Annoying.</p><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class="MsoNormal">Love</p><p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt" class="MsoNormal">LR<br /></p></span>

the button's picture
the button
Jul 27 2006 14:29

LR's number 4 gets on my nerves also.

Plus it'd be good to have a thing to tell you who the most recent poster on a thread is. It lets you know whether it's likely to be worth reading or not. wink

ghostzart
Jul 27 2006 22:01
the button wrote:

Plus it'd be good to have a thing to tell you who the most recent poster on a thread is. It lets you know whether it's likely to be worth reading or not. :wink:

I sadly just came to the conclusion that #4 seems rather impossible from the way the generation of topics in the main forum tables is handled. As for the most recent poster on a thread, it shows it in the last column, titled "Last Reply." For example, in the forum Feedback, for this topic, it says "7 hours 30 min ago
by the button" for Last Reply, because that was the time and author of the newest post for this thread.

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 27 2006 22:58
ghostzart wrote:
the button wrote:

Plus it'd be good to have a thing to tell you who the most recent poster on a thread is. It lets you know whether it's likely to be worth reading or not. :wink:

I sadly just came to the conclusion that #4 seems rather impossible from the way the generation of topics in the main forum tables is handled. As for the most recent poster on a thread, it shows it in the last column, titled "Last Reply." For example, in the forum Feedback, for this topic, it says "7 hours 30 min ago
by the button" for Last Reply, because that was the time and author of the newest post for this thread.

with a bit of luck, we'll be able to get that information on the tracker as well, but it's going to take some work.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jul 28 2006 09:35

When i edit a first post in a thread i get the option to delete it - shouldn't that be an admin/moderator only option?

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 28 2006 17:25

yeah it should.

edit: I killed editing rights for the initial forum topic - but this means not only can you not delete, but you can't edit either.

Comments should be unchanged though.

petey
Jul 28 2006 17:27

could we put the first...previous...next...last page option at the top of the page too?

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 28 2006 17:28
newyawka wrote:
could we put the first...previous...next...last page option at the top of the page too?

coming soon hopefully.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jul 28 2006 18:04

probably not a big deal, but the 'favourite thinkers' box in profile has the (BBCode?) buttons including add url, but the urls don't work because any text in the box is basically a tag already, so the xyz appears as text as part of the tag it shares comma delineation with. If that makes sense? :?

Edit: and i've put code tags around the xyz link above but its ignoring them and rendering it as a link not code.

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 29 2006 07:24

ok yeah - any url is converted to a link, pretty sure we can switch that off if we wanted. Dunno why code gets overridden though.

You can always do test.com for urls if you don't want them to be links. Makes showing people how to do neat urls hard though...

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 29 2006 09:06

oh and another thing - links in forum posts should be underlined

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jul 29 2006 21:54

the 'favorite books' header in networking and politics could do with being called 'favourite political books' so as to distinguish it from the one in personal when viewing a profile.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 30 2006 15:24
Joseph K. wrote:
the 'favorite books' header in networking and politics could do with being called 'favourite political books' so as to distinguish it from the one in personal when viewing a profile.

Done.

Hmmm also I think the taglines look best just under the name, with the post count underneat that, maybe with a one-line break?

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jul 30 2006 15:51
John. wrote:
Hmmm also I think the taglines look best just under the name, with the post count underneat that, maybe with a one-line break?

yeah i agree, probably with the one line break too - otherwise its just a random phrase floating about smile

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 30 2006 23:13

Oh, is it possible to disable Signatures? We should do, and I couldn't see the option in profile admin...

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 30 2006 23:20

they're disabled in the theme I think - pretty sure a couple of people have been putting them manually into their posts though.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 30 2006 23:27
libcom wrote:
they're disabled in the theme I think - pretty sure a couple of people have been putting them manually into their posts though.

no i'm pretty sure they're enabled - it's a field on My Account > account settings

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 30 2006 23:58

OK yeah they're switched on in there, but that's the only place anyone will ever see them. We can probably kill them in the code somewhere so they don't appear there either as well.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 31 2006 08:26
libcom wrote:
OK yeah they're switched on in there, but that's the only place anyone will ever see them. We can probably kill them in the code somewhere so they don't appear there either as well.

No it's not they work - if you put something in there it automatically places the text into any "post" or "reply" box they open up.