Issues with the new theme

173 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 27 2012 17:53
Issues with the new theme

Thread for users to raise issues/requests/features/feedback on the new libcom.org theme. This theme is available to all users now on an optional basis. To use it just visit "my account" then click "edit" then choose the theme "Nosotros".

For starters, here is our existing list of known issues and things we need to sort out, so please have a look through this before raising your issue as we may already have identified it:

Task Priority 1-5 (1 = high) Effort 1-5 (1 = high) Person Status Notes
Add blocks to index pages, once styled 2 3 JK Pending
Social networking icons (specifically the email icon looks shit) 4 4 Pending Also, the Facebook/twitter share links should be the ones which show the number of times it has been shared on articles.
Secondary tabs bar needs styling Pending
Personal messages need styling Pending
The search_area region needs styling on search page Pending
News, Library, History and Blogs browsing pages need styling properly (the pages that you get to when you click the link in the menu showing list of nodes) 1 Pending
Image for bullet points (See the footer, the blue line looks shit and I havent added them to all lists) Pending John note: I think we should drop the triangle bullet points, and just use standard ones if they are okay. The standard ones which are used in text automatically look good
Banner top & bottom (eg logo change) 1 Pending
Search Area in Site Menu (Button needs to be changed for a nice icon) Pending
Font size in quotes (small bug that needs fixing, "em"s constant shrinking when nested) Pending This is the same for text after bullet points
Highlighting links when clicked (little bug that needs fixing, atm some times the text doesnt change to white when background goes to blue) Pending
Sort out body font - bigger spacing between lines 1
Sort out title font on index pages - should be same serif font as on article pages 1
Turn library/history etc section headings on main index into hyperlinks 3
Set maximum length of text for teasers on index pages 2 Partially done Done on featured blocks, but needs doing on top three articles on front page, as well as tag indexes. 200 characters on blocks. Tag indexes could be more, maybe 300 characters.
Theme about box, and possibly info boxes differently from other boxes like featured articles 4
Sort out block caching 3 Currently being done with guesswork
Sort out theming of comments after articles 1 It is currently different from comments in the forums, should copy the format from the forums. Basically anchors/links to individual comments are missing so that links to unread comments don't work
Display blog articles in news view 1 Display blog articles in news view
Sort out More like this box: make title lowercase, and hide "configure this block" from non-logged in users 4
Go through outstanding issues in issue queue 1
Setup better way of navigating to foreign-language content 5 John: I would suggest having a drop-down box in the new bottom bar alongside about, donate etc
Sort out header bars/menus 1 Suggestions from John on to do thread based on Joseph's initial mockup
move footer suffix box containing links to about/donate/help out/other languages etc to below closure bar 2
Set serif font to be century rather than Georgia 1
Stop lowercase words automatically being capitalised 3 Currently in article/thread titles, tag titles, tag intro text, section titles, book titles, menu titles
Standardise the way different content types are displayed in indexes 1 At the moment history/library/gallery do not say by whom and when they were posted, whereas news/blogs do
Tidy up theming of front-page 1 Get text to flow around images, at the moment there are big gaps in the second and third lead articles
Allow browsing by region 2 Add a new tab in library/news/history etc to browse content by region
Allow tag intro images to be clicked to display full size like article images 5 At the moment they get resized to 250x 250. Should be 1024 x 768 like everything else
Sort out tracker displaying in Firefox 1
Sort out theming of blocks. Some have text aligned way to the left with no gap 2
Set forum thread titles to be the same font as article titles 3
Theme unpublished article/comments differently so you can see when they have been unpublished 3
Kill the coloured box on the front page with libcom logo in 2
Sort out book hierarchy theming 2 At the moment child chapters within child chapters are not nested, indented or displayed differently in some way in the middle column. They should be
Allow image captions to be displayed underneath images 4 In a small, italicised font probably
Red and black star favico doesn't display on all pages. Sort out. 2
Have links to external sites open in new tabs 3 Like back in the day. Mike doesn't agree with doing this - it's annoying for people who know how to open things in new tabs themselves to not be able to control it.
Setup views to display admins and editors like Joseph did already for bloggers 3
Let non-logged in viewers see up/down votes 3
Shrink thumbnails on Gallery to allow three photos across 3
Fix navigating to different pages of tag indexes 1
Fix paging of biographies feature in history 4
Rationalise featured blocks so they are the same on every page 3

Anatta's picture
Anatta
Mar 27 2012 18:45

'Recent posts' in FF 10.0.2: all posts are rendered to the right of the screen, with the top half obscured by the content that i think should be on the right hand side, if that makes sense?

Like the feel to the new look though!

jolasmo
Mar 27 2012 20:06

Lol, so I just turned on the new theme, thought it looked okay I guess, then went to "Recent Posts" and encountered the problem Anatta mentioned above (list of threads obscured by a bunch of crap). Decided to change back to the old look at least until this is fixed, since the recent post tracker's the main way I use the site, and found that there was also a bunch of crap obscuring the box where I was supposed to enter my password on my user screen!

Have managed to change it back now, but this seems like a pretty urgent thing to fix?

Screenshot:

http://imgur.com/8eiVd

I use Firefox 11.0 running on OSX 10.7.3 if that's any help.

~J.

welshboy's picture
welshboy
Mar 27 2012 20:22

Yeah the tracker page is borked as is the messages page on my profile.
Think I preferred the grey background as it's easier on the eyes than stark black on white. I think the threads now look a bit like Comment is Free on the guardian website.
soz embarrassed

Is the text in the "libcom.org is a resource for all people who wish to..." box in the right hand column meant to touch the bottom of the grey box?
Also is there supposed to be the dotted line behind thread titles?

bulmer's picture
bulmer
Mar 27 2012 20:40

It is an improvement, but my initial underwhelmed reaction is now satisfied knowing that there are still changes to come.

I did notice that links in the blog comments don't always display well if they are long. For example, check the last comment by Rank on my blog here. It doesn't fit in the box.

Good work guys!

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Mar 27 2012 21:00

I also got the same with 'recent posts' as Jolasmo & Annatta in firefox 11.0. And agree with welshboy that grey background is better.

bulmer's picture
bulmer
Mar 27 2012 21:17

Just thinking about why I was a bit underwhelmed with the design was probably because of the header. I know there seems to be some planned changes for that, looking at your list, but my personal suggestion would be to stretch out the black and grey link bars to the width of the page.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Mar 27 2012 23:07

I like the new set-up, find it much easier to read. However, I'm having the same problem where I can't access "recent posts". When I do, no threads show up and the mat'l on the right hand side of the page is obscured.

The re-design will presumably sort out the posting weirdness below blog entries and news articles?

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Mar 27 2012 23:20

This is probably already known, but in both themes if I go to

> Recent posts
> My recent posts

I get an error message.

Oh, I've also decided I like a slightly toned-down background, even something a like a light blue (darker than the 'old' greyish-blue) I find makes the screen that much easier to read.

All that said, big props to the libcom admins. I know y'all put a ton of work into the site, even if you are all, collectively, the thought police of the anarchist movement wink

Felix Frost's picture
Felix Frost
Mar 27 2012 23:29

To fix the float problem on the tracker page, you can try adding "float: left" to #main-content in your css sheat.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 28 2012 08:35
Felix Frost wrote:
To fix the float problem on the tracker page, you can try adding "float: left" to #main-content in your css sheat.

thanks for your comments people, and thanks for that Felix.

We are aware of the Firefox problem, which is the most serious issue with the theme at the moment.

The theme is best in Google Chrome, so we recommend using that, although it's also good in Internet Explorer 9.

bulmer's picture
bulmer
Mar 28 2012 08:58

You checking in older browsers? like IE7 and IE8?

Make sure you use firebug for Firefox to make it easier to solve any styling problems (if you aren't already anyway)

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Mar 28 2012 09:47

Looks good. Reminds me of one of the UK newspapers, maybe The Guardian?

I like how the library articles look particularly. I'll have to read through that list, but I noticed a couple things, mainly the problems with firefox vs chrome.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 28 2012 10:21
Chilli Sauce wrote:

The re-design will presumably sort out the posting weirdness below blog entries and news articles?

what weirdness is that?

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Mar 28 2012 11:12

Oh, that the posts aren,t numbered and you can't link to them.

Perhaps weirdness is the wrong word, but I'd much prefer if the comments under blogs and articles were the same set-up as comments under a forum post.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 28 2012 11:41

Right, thanks for the clarification. That is in the to do list above to sort out

jonthom's picture
jonthom
Mar 28 2012 13:29

one thing I've noticed; when going to the "new posts" link for a topic, the new theme takes you to the relevant page but not to the relevant post on that page.

that aside it looks good smile

edit: doesn't seem to be doing it now, probably a problem with my browser or somesuch.

Cooked's picture
Cooked
Mar 28 2012 14:26

re the tracker float problem a solution using the overflow: auto; trick might help when the double floats are causing problems.

was thinking css media queries would be good to make the site more phone friendly, adapt to small screens. Might whip something up, I've got very little time to spare atm though. (hacking some css is a perfect procrastination maneuver when the flat is already spotlessly cleaned though.)

communal_pie's picture
communal_pie
Apr 2 2012 01:32

Small thing, but can you add the CSS to round boxes' corners. It would look nice, I think and would be an easy thing to add to the site's visceral improvements, I will add it for you if you want.

By the way, adding float:left to the main-content ID fixes the problem of tracker not working in Firefox just fine.

Mike Harman
Apr 2 2012 04:32

I've made the float: left; change for #main-content and that also fixes ff for me. Firebug has been broken on ff for me and I'm incapable of fixing CSS without it at this point. Thanks Felix!

Harrison
Apr 2 2012 12:24

personally i find the text width both on forum posts and articles is not great enough....

the button's picture
the button
Apr 2 2012 13:18

Looks fine to me -- might as well stick with using it. Would echo Harrison's post above, though -- the posts do seem squeezed over to the left a bit.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 3 2012 12:28

Just to say thanks very much for that code Felix!

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 3 2012 16:49

This thread for some reason is stretched and overlaps the right-hand column. I wonder if it might be because of the really long URL in one of the comments?

http://libcom.org/forums/organise/pay-cuts-social-care-27022012#new

no1
Apr 3 2012 17:20

Haven't seen it brought up before: On multi-page threads, the list of page numbers ends with a comma. Now that I've noticed it, it's actually irritating....

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 3 2012 17:34

Well spotted

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Apr 3 2012 20:12

So has this gone live yet? Which version do non-members see when they visit the site?

Cooked's picture
Cooked
Apr 3 2012 21:19

The following will break long urls to multiple lines in new browsers. I set it to only activate in urls posted in comments. The Pay cuts thread looks fine in firefox but not webkit based browsers (chrome etc.)

div.forum-post-content a {
    word-wrap: break-word;
}

Another way which can get messy (scrollbars everywhere) ,depending on the details of the whole layout scheme, is to set the following.

div.forum-post-content {
    overflow: auto;
}

Which should give a scrollbar to long posts only. However as mentioned it can cause a mess.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 4 2012 10:00

Cooked, you rule!

Cooked's picture
Cooked
Apr 4 2012 11:33

test it first!

The layout is quite complex and my diagnosis on what actually causes the problem might be wrong. I would set it up so I can test it properly and fix some other issues but I've got not time atm. My partner would kill me if she saw me take on more stuff sad and she's right.

Armchair Anarchist's picture
Armchair Anarchist
Apr 4 2012 19:03
Steven. wrote:
This thread for some reason is stretched and overlaps the right-hand column. I wonder if it might be because of the really long URL in one of the comments?

http://libcom.org/forums/organise/pay-cuts-social-care-27022012#new

It's nowt to do with the URL. If you take the #main-content {float: left;} style off it displays ok. The CSS needs a bit more investigation.