Library file size

Submitted by GoogleMurrayBookchin on June 13, 2020

Is it possible to be approved for uploading content to the library larger than the 32 MB limit?

I have PDFs of all four volumes of Murray Bookchin's The Third Revolution and I'd like to make them available, however some of the file sizes are larger than the library allows (e.g. 82 MB for one PDF).

R Totale

3 years 10 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by R Totale on June 14, 2020

I would normally recommend compressing, but if it's over twice the limit I'm guessing it might be hard to compress down far enough, so I suppose you might just have to split any really large ones into two parts and then upload each separately? Not ideal, but it should get the job done.

GoogleMurrayBookchin

3 years 10 months ago

Submitted by GoogleMurrayBookchin on June 14, 2020

.zip of the files is still a few hundred MB unfortunately

R Totale

3 years 10 months ago

Submitted by R Totale on June 14, 2020

Oh yeah, I wasn't thinking of a zip, more trying to turn each PDF into a slightly smaller PDF - looks like doing "Volume 1, Part 1" etc would probably be the best solution then?

Fozzie

3 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Fozzie on June 14, 2020

You can use sites like Ilovepdf.com and smallpdf.com to compress and split PDFs.

adri

3 years 10 months ago

Submitted by adri on June 14, 2020

You can do anything to pdf's (adobe's file format) if you "get" adobe acrobat, which is for modifying pdf's. One of the reasons I don't like that file format is because acrobat is proprietary software, and there's not that many good open source alternatives for modifying pdf's last time I checked.

GoogleMurrayBookchin

3 years 10 months ago

Submitted by GoogleMurrayBookchin on June 15, 2020

Sadly the difference in size is negligible when the files are individually compressed (e.g. 87 MB versus 83 MB).

The PDF compression sites look like they might work though. I'll have to play around with them and see if the quality is acceptable.