This marking up/down crap you still allow for posts...

109 posts / 0 new
Last post
Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jun 29 2016 22:37

Damn, you just made me hate the up/down votes with that metaphor.

Schmoopie's picture
Schmoopie
Jun 30 2016 08:21
Quote:
Your conception is too grave. Try thinking of libcom as sitcom and the voting as canned laughter.

In a last bid attempt to save this site from the grave, I recommend once again that the votes are made accountable so that readers and contributors would be able to follow patterns of voting behaviour, to establish the political/anti-political character of members. No more secret balloting!

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jun 30 2016 08:32

Surely it all depends on who hits the button. I mean, if you are up voted by a twat then you're probably a twat. If you're down voted by Cooked or A Wotsit you probably ought to stop chatting shit.
If you're up voted or down voted by me just take no notice at all - I have peculiar ideas about voting plus I'm a knob.

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Jun 30 2016 11:42

Sometimes ups and downs can be open to interpretation.

For example the statement –
‘That prat Boris Johnson has just announced he will not stand for the leadership of the Tory Party’.
Would ‘up’ mean ‘Hooray!’ Does ‘down’ mean - Boo! Or who gives a toss?

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jun 30 2016 12:44

I give a toss. No Boris? That's a fucking nightmare! Boris would have been a fantastic PM, a veritable laugh a minute. Anyone that doesn't think Boris is a comic genius is either a humourless dullard or a Prejudicial Tory basher.

When pressed and pressed on whether he'd like to one day be prime minister he eventually, after much mumbling, blustering and smirking said;

Quote:
Well, if that particular ball was thrown out the back of the scrum, I suppose I'd pick it up and run with it

I rest my case.

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Jun 30 2016 13:45

Someone was on the telly in the last hour (I don’t know who, as they all look alike to me), and said that Boris would make a good warm-up act though he’d be a disaster as PM.

The BBC thinks Michael Gove acted like Brutus and shived simple trusting Boris in the back. Brutus and Boris sounds like a double act.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jun 30 2016 15:19

One thing Boris ain't is simple - I read a book by him a few years back and it made a Libcom thread about the dialectic look like Janet and John!

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Jun 30 2016 15:27

I was being ironic, and as a politician he is not trusting or trustworthy.

Fleur
Jun 30 2016 15:36

Nobody should ever mistake Boris Johnson for being stupid. He's highly intelligent, scheming, manipulative and dangerous. And I expect he's just biding his time because being leader of the Tory Party right now would be a poisoned chalice. His sense of humour, which is obviously an acquired taste, goes no way to mask his vile racism, sexism and just about every other nasty little bigotry which is expected from someone of his background.

The weird affliction that so many English people have of dropping to their knees in front of anybody with a posh accent baffles me and baffles me more and more the further and longer I am away fro the English aristocracy. It's nauseating and probably some kind of Stockholm Syndrome. And yes, I an a prejudiced Tory basher. I wouldn't shed a tear if they all just ran off a cliff.

factvalue
Jun 30 2016 16:03

Agree totally. I hate everything about that fucker and everything he stands for. Fuck him and the horse he rode in on, and that entire breed of fascist toffs that spewed him out.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jun 30 2016 17:36

Well obviously I'd rather they all jump of a cliff but why single out the Tories for such a marvellous spectacle? All of these people do the same job whatever colour flag they wave. They're all culpable of pulling the wool over the eyes of the public whist doing capital's bidding. Sure, as personalities I have MPs that I prefer and others that I dislike but it is not based in class or background. It's more likely to be whether they happen to get up my nose or if they make me laugh. Or maybe, as with Corbyn or my favourite ever MP Mathew Paris, they have a soothing soporific effect on the Webby brain cell. Politically it means nothing to me though.
And another thing - what a peculiar assumption you make Fleur in suggesting that I'm a sucker for a posh accent as though I haven't quite managed to throw of the yoke of subordinate feudalism. What a load of old(to borrow a splendid term from yourself) codswallop! You guys can swim about in your prejudice until the cows come home and I hope you have a fine day for it, just don't kid yourself there is anything creditable or worthy about it coz there isn't.

Sleeper
Jun 30 2016 20:13

down (9) for that Noah.

Oops I meant up (12)

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jun 30 2016 20:38
Sleeper wrote:
down (9) for that Noah.

Oops I meant up (12)

I'm confused.

Schmoopie's picture
Schmoopie
Jun 30 2016 20:50
Quote:
Well obviously I'd rather they all jump of a cliff but why single out the Tories for such a marvellous spectacle? All of these people do the same job whatever colour flag they wave.

Politicians: there ain't never been a good one, I'm with you again Noah. If I was to nominate a Tory MP for the leadership contest, my choice is a lesser known one called Tim Laughton. I saw him on a TV documentary in which he went to live with a working class family. I respected him for that even if he was a bit hypocritical about their drug use.

factvalue
Jun 30 2016 21:50

Noah, I wasn't aiming at the Tories in particular, and yes of course party politics should be destroyed. Mainly I was expressing revulsion for the upper classes who fill their ranks, not that this prevents me from detesting Tories qua Tories even more that I loath the 'meritocratic' liberal plague of posh airheads who've slithered out of the corpse of old labour, yet I don't hate them any more than any given nationalist gimp I encounter, I've plenty of hatred to go round. It's just that, whatever flag they look like they're waving the rich/aristos make my skin crawl and I don't care if they're a product of their background, I hate their background more than I hate them and would like it destroyed along with all its products.

As we touched on briefly in our chat about him, although Matthew Paris claimed Emma Goldman as his hero, what was it about her that he thinks was so great given his fucked-up politics?

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jun 30 2016 23:20

Fair enough, Fleur was and I made with the tarring brush. As for hating toffs, having met loads of them I find that generally they are less awful than new money types, goodie goodie class hopping liberals and my racist sister.
As for Matthew Parris and his love for Emma, that's easy, being a sort of libertarian liberal he fetishes the idea of freedom, sexual liberation etc and in an extremely misguided attempt to promote such ideas uses his privilege to become a parliamentarian. Or may he's just a dick.
Regardless of all that, I'd rather his hero was Emma than the usual Churchill/Ben options and besides, I don't like him coz of his politics but because of his manner and his skill as a radio presenter.

I dislike what the upper class stand for(despite the fact that I apparently long to suck off all of its representatives!) but no more than working and middle class liberalism. Now that really gets my goat!!!

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Jul 1 2016 08:10

Schmoopie #75

‘I'm with you again Noah. If I was to nominate a Tory MP for the leadership contest, my choice is a lesser known one called Tim Laughton. I saw him on a TV documentary in which he went to live with a working class family.’

He went to live with a working class family. Well, that was a major trauma. I wonder if he’s still finding it hard to fit back into his normal domestic arrangements. Still the cameras were there to record his suffering.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 1 2016 09:21
Noah Fence wrote:
And another thing - what a peculiar assumption you make Fleur in suggesting that I'm a sucker for a posh accent as though I haven't quite managed to throw of the yoke of subordinate feudalism.

I know you have beef with Fleur, but I didn't see the slightest shred of any suggestion that that comment was directed at you in any way

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jul 1 2016 10:23

DP

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jul 1 2016 10:11
Steven. wrote:
Noah Fence wrote:
And another thing - what a peculiar assumption you make Fleur in suggesting that I'm a sucker for a posh accent as though I haven't quite managed to throw of the yoke of subordinate feudalism.

I know you have beef with Fleur, but I didn't see the slightest shred of any suggestion that that comment was directed at you in any way

Steven. What are you on about. Firstly, I have no beef(was that an intentional choice of word? Please say it was!!!) with Fleur and I hope she has none with me. We're just two powerful personalities that have certain disagreements and like to throw our weight around a bit. In fact, I am a great admirer of hers and regularly agree with her and up vote her posts. Secondly, I reacted to her posts in exactly the same way as I would to any other poster that wrote such things. Did you not see how I used to plural in my posts to include Factvalue who is both my Libcom cohort and real life buddy?
Lastly, I see it as quite reasonable to assume after expressing my appreciation of certain of Boris' attributes and nobody else agreeing with me that Fleurs comment, though couched in general terms, was very much directed at me. Perhaps she could tell us if it was or wasn't?
Either way, I don't feel in the least offended by it. It's even possible that it's true and I'm misjudging myself though on this occasion that particular contingency seems a very remote one.

Schmoopie's picture
Schmoopie
Jul 1 2016 10:15
Quote:
Firstly, I have no beef(was that an intentional choice of word? Please say it was!!!)

My feeling is no

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jul 1 2016 10:26
Schmoopie wrote:
Quote:
Firstly, I have no beef(was that an intentional choice of word? Please say it was!!!)

My feeling is no

Why such pessimism? You seem to forget the world is a wonderful place. It's the planet of the pun and I have full faith in the pun skills of the Libcommisar!!!

Fleur
Jul 1 2016 14:06

No Noah, not everything is all about you, I was making a comment on a thread on a subject someone else has brought up. It happens all the time. There's no need to make it personal and I have no wish to get into an argument about that prick.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jul 1 2016 14:21

Ouch! That's quite barbed but seeing as I'm not aware of who the prick is or what thread they are being a prick on you can surely see why I would surmise that in context of this thread you were referring to me?

Fleur
Jul 1 2016 14:25

Boris Johnson is the prick.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jul 1 2016 14:37

Ok, well I won't disagree with that but I'm left even more confused now than I was before. So who precisely was the posh accent lover that prompted you to make your comment then? I know that not everything is about me but some things are, right?
Either way, the last thing I want is a row with you or anyone else. Although I can see how some of my recent posting may indicate otherwise.

Fleur
Jul 1 2016 14:52

For the love of Dog, Noah, it's called conversation. You brought something up ie Boris Johnson, and I expressed my personal opinion on him and my opinions on the inane English toadying to aristos in general. As someone who has moved far away from that sort of shit, I find it even more incomprehensible than I did when I lived there. I don't have to have any one individual in mind to be irritated by a particular behaviour. You don't have to take it personally.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jul 1 2016 15:10

Ok, I get it, I misunderstood so hands up. I wasn't taking it personally as in offended though, I just thought it rather funny. But hey , fair enough. If it offers and excuse I've just been informed that I'm suffering from mild hepatic encephalopathy, possibly adding to my confusion.

Fleur
Jul 1 2016 15:12

Just to clarify, Auld-Bod brought up Boris Johnson. I don't think Auld-Bod is driven weak at the knees at the thought of Boris but he did put thoughts of the objectionable fucknozzle in my head. Not that the whole world hasn't been talking about him all week, so it wasn't hard to do. I expressed my opinion on him, which is very low. While talking about poshboys, I expressed my opinions on poshboys in general, given that I think that boiling in camel piss is too good for them, it's not hard for me to rise to that conversation. What's worse than the existence of the parasitical English aristocracy, in my opinion, is the way some people grovel and dribble about them, like absurd little toadies. If you knew me IRL, you would know how easy it is to set me off on how much I hate the English ruling class. This is why no-one I know discusses what has happened on Downton Abbey within my earshot anymore because they know they're about to get a Castro length speech from me on how I wish the bastards were all roasted on a spit by the scullery maids and fed to their fox hounds.

See, it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular.

edit: crossposted and I'm sorry that you have HE. It must be really shitty and very frustrating.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jul 1 2016 18:06

Thanks for the empathy and it is shitty sometimes, like I'm losing myself kind of. Just got out of hospital today and have Lady Fence nursing me and if my transplant is successful all this shit will be history. Bring that fucking day on!!!