New spam blocking

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spikymike
Oct 5 2011 13:43

I've just been blocked by your new wizo spam filter trying to post on the Manchester Occupation thread - never happended before?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Oct 5 2011 14:41
Spikymike wrote:
I've just been blocked by your new wizo spam filter trying to post on the Manchester Occupation thread - never happended before?

you have now been marked as a genuine user so this should not re-occur. Let us know if it does

RedHughs
Oct 12 2011 04:33

It is now blocking me from editing post in the crisis thread on the news section.

ocelot's picture
ocelot
Oct 12 2011 15:11

This is getting pretty hardcore. Not only can I not add normal comments with news story links to the recent news story I managed to add, but even my attempts to comment to this thread have triggered the dreaded "Your comment has triggered the spam filter..." death cycle (which appears to crash my browser eventually, not good)

Mark.
Oct 21 2011 23:45

I just noticed this abc thread where someone is posting up Ha Ki Rak's 'History of the Korean Anarchist Movement'. The question 'can you put it onto libcom instead? This is awesome, and it's important to have this' gets the response, 'I can't post on Libcom for some reason, their security code thing just doesn't work on my computer. Annoying but oh well.'

So this sounds like a new, or infrequent, poster who has been blocked from posting and given up and gone somewhere else.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Oct 22 2011 04:46
Mark. wrote:
I just noticed this abc thread where someone is posting up Ha Ki Rak's 'History of the Korean Anarchist Movement'. The question 'can you put it onto libcom instead? This is awesome, and it's important to have this' gets the response, 'I can't post on Libcom for some reason, their security code thing just doesn't work on my computer. Annoying but oh well.'

So this sounds like a new, or infrequent, poster who has been blocked from posting and given up and gone somewhere else.

Thanks for spotting that.

That is worrying. Anyone with problems can e-mail us at admin at libcom.org and we will manually set their account so they won't have to do that any more.

If someone could post that on ABC to him that would be great (my login there isn't activated yet).

We will try to edit the form somehow to let people know they should contact us if they have any problems and we will sort it.

Red and ocelot, your accounts have been manually set to bypass spam protection. Soon we should do this for all genuine users, but I'm afraid it's taking a little while.

(On the plus side, spam has been massively reduced)

Mike Harman
Oct 22 2011 05:10

I've relaxed the spam filter rules a bit, hopefully this will block less genuine posts now.

Rosa Noir's picture
Rosa Noir
Oct 31 2011 13:58

Hi I've been blocked too.

I was replying on the Black and anarcha feminism theory thread
I was trying to give a list of links to articles in the now-out-of-print Quiet Rumours anarcha-feminist anthology which Wojtek is trying to get hold of.

I was going to try to add the texts to the library, but wanted to track down a physical copy first so i can also add the texts that are not available online.

I didn't get a captcha or a comment is being moderated message, it just blocked me straight off.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Oct 31 2011 14:12

i've bumped your profile, should bypass mollom now.

Rosa Noir's picture
Rosa Noir
Oct 31 2011 14:45

Thanks

Mike Harman
Nov 5 2011 06:05

Just rolled a new fix so people actually get added to the 'regular user' role properly after a few posts.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Nov 5 2011 10:08

Nice one!

echo
May 14 2012 08:54

Found this thread because I've been unable to put up a short post with a link to a video in the general forum. I need to go through a captcha here, but can't create a new forum topic at all (it's just rejected without the option of a captcha). I'm an infrequent poster here, but the bar to posting a link in particular does seem unreasonably high -- I imagine that there are quite a few people who might come here for the first time wanting to make a short post with a single link to (e.g.) a video, which is rejected (I presume) on the basis of the link:text ratio.

echo
May 14 2012 08:56

Update: even after filling in a captcha sumitting the post that's been allowed through above, I can't post the new topic.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
May 14 2012 09:29

echo; i've bumped your permissions to 'regular user' (this normally happens automatically, but sometimes it doesn't). that should fix the posting problem for you.

Mike Harman
May 14 2012 09:39

After five posts you should skip all captcha checks, I just looked at your account, and it looks like the two posts on this thread tipped you over the balance so please try again?

It's very annoying getting false positives like this from Mollom, but it's also blocking up to 5,000 spam posts per day, so it's a tricky balance to get right.

echo
May 14 2012 09:47

Thanks.

Apparently I also needed to reload the page with the new forum topic in it in order to be able to post it -- even after being over the threshold, it didn't work until then.

And yes, I agree that it's a difficult balance to strike. I just wonder how many potential new users are being turned away because of the difficulty of making a first post with a link in it. If I hadn't agreed to publicize this particular video, I'd have given up about an hour ago.