Noa and derailing

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mike Harman
May 29 2018 20:40
Noa and derailing
Noa Rodman wrote:
Mike Harman wrote:
Noa if you continue to derail threads it's going to be time for a temp ban, I've wasted too much time the past week or so cleaning up after you.

First it was R Totale who asked you to ban me from the incel thread, though you kindly enough merely split some of my comments (it was in fact when I was responding to a comment directly about incel ideology). I formally noted that was unjustified.

On this thread you have split the comments about my example of supporting non-direct workplace reforms (i.e. freeing Assange), but the derailing comments were by others like Fleur who made into the question of his personal conduct (and I didn't respond to that).

Now you intervene with a final warning, at a time when I gave some very basic info, like tracing the intellectual origins of key concepts associated with identity politics (and for me it's not about John Money's abuse of a patient, I specifically said it's not the easy argument ad hominem I'm going for), and challenged people to defend the scientific worth of these concepts.

I again formally object to your intervention against me, and reject the charge of derailing.

Noa the great d...
Jun 20 2018 08:54

This is just a reminder that I've been banned for 18 days now by you Mike, whereas a temp-ban (which you threatened I would receive) seems to be only 3 days. This post is merely for the record, so that you cannot claim in the future that it slipped your mind to unban me.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jun 20 2018 15:03

I would like to express my solidarity with Mike Harman in the face of this attack.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jun 20 2018 15:25

Noa the great derailer, indeed!

Now, these, these are some great derailleurs:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2018/jun/07/10-weird-and-wonderful-derailleurs-and-how-they-changed-cycling

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Jun 20 2018 18:16

Is that a picture of me Chilli? I still haven’t forgotten your hurtful words...

Quote:
Webby, you’re a dick

And I’m assuming that (not without justification)you stick to your view?

Craftwork's picture
Craftwork
Jun 20 2018 19:48

High-waisted trousers are cool

birdtiem
Jun 20 2018 23:00

There was definitely a correlation between that guy’s presence in any given discussion and the degree of difficulty trying to figure out what the hell anyone was talking about, just saying... It was impossible to ignore.

Noa the great d...
Jun 21 2018 20:18

I feel like The Trial's Josef K. where at the end his executioners expect him to finish himself off. The charges against me are unspecified, just as my sentence (how long the ban will last, or whether it is permanent, is not stated).

As a long-time site member (+8,5 years) I have posted a comment (cannot link directly) on the redmarx forum ("Me getting banned from libcom").

At the time of my last post on the IP thread, which triggered my ban, I actually did not have the intention to continue posting there anymore, and since then I have felt no inclination to jump in, even if I could (nor do I expect to want to do so in the future). I try to understand the situation as objectively as possible. If the point was to prevent me to stop posting on the thread, an explicit and clear indication from the admin would have sufficed (e.g.: "Do not continue to post on this thread or you will be banned".). I wouldn't agree, but I would comply. Or the admin could withdraw my ability to post comments for a while, as happened in Craftwork's case, who made certain comments deemed indefensible there, and did go personally for Mike Harman (creating an article about him having supposedly joined the LibDems), but he's (justly) allowed to post again.

I have counted the number of my posts: 39 out of a 318 (the thread's total figure when I was banned), i.e. 12%. Mike Harman's number at that point was not far behind at 29 (not counting his warning to me). But keep in my mind that he has home court advantage: others argue his position and there is no pile-on against him, so he is not forced to reply, unlike I was.

birdtiem wrote:
There was definitely a correlation between that guy’s presence in any given discussion and the degree of difficulty trying to figure out what the hell anyone was talking about, just saying

That happens when there's a pile-on. You could just ignore me (let me post "into the void"), like Sadie did at the end, and that would solve it by itself.

jef costello wrote:
I would like to express my solidarity with Mike Harman in the face of this attack.

To repeat what I wrote on Redmarx, you as a moderator were not informed of my ban when it had taken place. That tells you a bit about the transparency of the admin's mop. Mike Harman evidently acted on his own (and probably the other admins cannot object, since he seems to be one putting most time in running this place). Nor are you informed that my "talking about sex/love" thread has been deleted (where you first complained about my posting style).

And also again, I deny the intent to derail. Your problem is in general with my posting "style", that is inherent to my way of expression. I don't know how to change that, even if I wanted.

Chilli Sauce wrote:
Now, these, these are some great derailleurs:

See this is an intentional derail, and nevertheless I find it an interesting article; and am not bothered by you posting it in the least.

Noah fence wrote:
Is that a picture of me Chilli? I still haven’t forgotten your hurtful words.

It does look like a dick. Your attempt to diffuse potential drama is appreciated.