Posting some articles to library

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Uncreative's picture
Uncreative
Apr 6 2010 20:47
Posting some articles to library

Hey,

I recently got a copy of "We Are An Image From The Future: The Greek Revolt Of December 2008" off AK Press, and was wondering if people would be interested in my transferring some of the content from there up onto the libcom Library? Its got some bits of history, some articles by TPTG, Ego Te Provoco and other groups and individuals, as well as interviews and some more of the communiques and political texts distributed, including "Open Letter From The Soldiers" by anonymous soldiers. Its not all about the riots, either.

Oh, its copyrighted to AK Press if that's of any importance.

Cheers.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 6 2010 20:53

yeah, it would be great to have some of that on here, thanks for thinking of us!

Regarding the Copyright, if you put pieces up as individual articles, if you could please put a credit to the book, and a link to purchase it from AK press I'm sure that would be sufficient. If you could do a quick search of the site to check that articles aren't up already that would be excellent

Uncreative's picture
Uncreative
Apr 6 2010 21:40

Grand, ill get right on it. I've not finished reading it yet, so ill probably add articles in dribs and drabs for a little while yet.

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Apr 6 2010 21:53

Uncreative; I think some texts in that book are already here, so check that the articles you want to post aren't already in the library.

cw
Apr 7 2010 23:22

Hey Uncreative.

The book isn't copyrighted; it has a "creative commons" license, which essentially means that the editors, contributors, and publishers are fine with portions being posted for non-commercial purposes, but request that they are informed in advance. Since I'm the person at AK to whom such requests are forwarded, I say have at it! But, yes, it would be nice if the posts included info about where the material originated and a link to the book (http://www.akpress.org/2010/items/weareanimagefromthefuture).

Cheers,

charles

Uncreative's picture
Uncreative
Apr 8 2010 15:25

Oops, sorry cw, it is indeed creative commons.

Ill include the info and the link, hopefully ill get round to doing it today.

Cheers folks.

Uncreative's picture
Uncreative
Aug 16 2010 21:49

Would people be interested in me typing up some more bits from this book? For instance, there are four timelines in the book (collectively covering 1860s onwards) that chart the history of anarchism in Greece, there's accounts of various things (occupying TV stations, universities, the days of the riots, hijacking a firetruck, etc), there's a statement of solidarity from Ankara Anarchy Initiative, a bit titled "the logic of not demanding", peoples reflections on the significance of the riots and that, more stuff about the neighbourhood assemblies, interviews with people, various other statements by a variety of groups, etc.

Dunno, should i type the whole thing up, or just a couple of the most interesting parts, or what? I'd be relatively happy to type the whole thing up, or at least the vast majority of it (including those bits that i disagree with politically), if people were interested.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 16 2010 22:19

yeah, we'd definitely interested in having basically all of it.

However, it would probably be a lot easier for you to scan it using OCR software to turn it directly into text so you didn't have to type it all up manually

Uncreative's picture
Uncreative
Aug 16 2010 22:33

Good point. I've got a scanner, and http://www.free-online-ocr.com/ looks like it might be helpful, but if you know a quicker/better/more reliable way then let me know.

Anyway, ill start sticking stuff up when i get a free moment.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 17 2010 08:41

great, thanks

If you could find a cracked version of these packages they should be a bit better than free ones, but I think free ones work pretty well now:

Nuance OmniPage Pro 17
ABBYY FineReader 10 Professional

Noa Rodman's picture
Noa Rodman
Aug 20 2010 10:43

Not related to OP, but my question is, how do you connect related submitted content (like bits of a lengthy bibliography) to each other, so that you have an overview of the whole thing at one page?

It will take many separate submissions to add the whole thing together, so how can I avoid flooding the library with these additions?

Spassmaschine
Aug 20 2010 11:14

Clicking 'submit content' may give you the option of creating a 'book page'. You can put the overview on the 'book page' and then add the other articles as 'child pages' of that book. If you don't have the option to create a book page, then just say which article is the overview one, and someone can change it into the book format.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 20 2010 11:15

I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

But possibly using the book outline might be helpful.

Book outlines let you put child articles in parent ones. For example:
http://libcom.org/library/grammar-multitude-paolo-virno

In this one, "a grammar of the multitude" is the parent article, and the chapters are all "child" articles.

So if your documents are all linked you could post one parent to contain them all. To do this add a library article, and in the section "outline" select "create new book" (or something similar). Then when you have added it, you can just click "add child page" to add bits inside it.

To avoided flooding the library, if the whole set only has one author or subject, only tag the parent article, i.e. don't name the author, region, tag etc of child articles.

Hope this helps

Noa Rodman's picture
Noa Rodman
Aug 20 2010 11:32

Yes, bookoutline would be good. But the first article in the series is already posted, and its impossible for me to still change it to become the overview page or parent page. this is the first article;
http://libcom.org/library/under-banner-marxism

and then here is the second one:
http://libcom.org/library/under-banner-marxism-contd

Hopefully I can rely on an admin to set this matter straight.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 20 2010 11:45

I have now done that.

Hopefully in the original you can now see " add child page"?

However, I'm not sure that the book format is most appropriate for this. Is there a reason why the bibliography cannot just go in one long article?

If it is not all typed up yet you can just click "edit" on the original article and add to it at the bottom as you do it.

Noa Rodman's picture
Noa Rodman
Aug 20 2010 12:36

Yes the add child page is there; thanks.

Quote:
If it is not all typed up yet you can just click "edit" on the original article and add to it at the bottom as you do it.

I see now that that is the best option.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 20 2010 12:44

great, so if you want you can just edit the contents of the second article into the first, and we will approve the changes

Noa Rodman's picture
Noa Rodman
Aug 22 2010 17:50

Need to correct some things in the original article, but editing is turned off there
http://libcom.org/library/under-banner-marxism

That page is the parent page of the book outline.
Each child page will be a period of a couple of years (first one is 1922-1923).
Overall project will be close to a 100 pages.

Spassmaschine
Aug 23 2010 07:36

Parent page should now be editable.

Noa Rodman's picture
Noa Rodman
Sep 25 2010 15:33

The editing of Under the banner... 1922-23 gave a better overview, thanks. Could the updates to the articles on 1924-25 and 1928-29 be approved?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Sep 25 2010 19:32

apologies, didn't notice them - will do so shortly

Noa Rodman's picture
Noa Rodman
Oct 1 2010 16:04

cheers, y'all check them out now

Uncreative's picture
Uncreative
Nov 23 2010 21:53

Back to "We Are An Image From The Future" for a minute, ive almost got it all ready to put up. Ill put it up using the parent/child article method mentioned above, but i was wondering if i should bother putting the blurb from the two articles ive already put up at the bottom of each child article?

Also what i should i do about the two articles already up, should i just put them up again as child articles in this parent article and then the currently existing articles will be deleted, or is there a way to move the already existing articles into the new parent article as child articles?

Ta.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Nov 23 2010 22:48

that's great, thanks!

Yes, you can put them into the new parent article by clicking on the outline tab, next to view and edit. Then in the parent you choose the parent. Or else click edit, then click "book outline" on that page and set the parent.

If you are crediting the source in the parent article, I wouldn't think it was necessary to credit it in each of the child articles. Cheers!

Uncreative's picture
Uncreative
Nov 24 2010 19:50

Good stuff. Ill aim to get it up by tomorrow afternoon, fingers crossed.

EDIT: Sorry, taking longer than anticipated. Should be up soonish though.

Uncreative's picture
Uncreative
Dec 19 2010 14:16

Finally started putting stuff up (right before i go on holiday...).

There is already a version of TPTGs "the permanent crisis in education" in the library, so ill just turn it into a child page of the book in general. I won't alter the article to look like the other ones ive put up from the book just yet, in case theres an issue with me doing this.

Just thought id mention.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 19 2010 18:12

Yeah, looks really interesting, I look forward to having a proper look when I get a chance over the Christmas break