Posting unexplained links?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spikymike
Mar 14 2015 14:12
Posting unexplained links?

There seems to be a big increase in people posting one-liner links to other texts and web-sites without any explanation of why the poster thinks they are useful or any comment on the content. Some of the linked texts are indeed useful but some indication however brief of their content/meaning and comment by the original poster would be helpful . Even worse there has just been a longer 'header' with the poster saying simply 'discuss''!! Can the admins's try to discourage this unhelpful approach?

Spikymike
Mar 20 2015 15:01

bump because it's getting worse in my opinion anyway.

boozemonarchy's picture
boozemonarchy
Mar 20 2015 19:50

Yea, I personally feel if you want a discussion you should actually start it, rather than just posting the link.

boomerang
Mar 22 2015 01:34

I think if they get zero to few responses, that's enough, isn't it? Natural consequences, right?

Discuss! wink

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Mar 22 2015 06:02

Thanks, I'll bring this up to the others.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 23 2015 23:19

Sorry about the delay in responding to this. I have a feeling this may be about confusion boats primarily? If so, she/he has been banned.

Threads which are just a link with no context are prohibited by our posting guidelines, which people can view here:
http://libcom.org/notes/content-guidelines/forums-posting-guidelines

Quote:
Be clear
Start new threads in the appropriate forum. Give relevant, precise titles, don't capitalise every letter ("LOOK @ TH1S!!" - is not acceptable). Give meaningful post content which gives people something to discuss - relevant? coherent? formatted?
boomerang
Mar 24 2015 01:19

Maybe it's none of my business, but why was confusion boots banned? Not for posting links with no context, I hope. Some find that a little bit annoying, but to be banned for it is way too harsh, IMO.

Tarwater's picture
Tarwater
Mar 24 2015 03:38

Yeah, I thought they were going insane and was hoping some one if us would be able to intervene, maybe...

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Mar 24 2015 06:48
Tarwater wrote:
Yeah, I thought they were going insane and was hoping some one if us would be able to intervene, maybe...

Some attempts to help have been made to which Steven was party. A little bit more to it than meets the eye.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 24 2015 08:51
boomerang wrote:
Maybe it's none of my business, but why was confusion boots banned? Not for posting links with no context, I hope. Some find that a little bit annoying, but to be banned for it is way too harsh, IMO.

she/he wasn't banned for that, as that would be too harsh without prior warnings. It was more to do with unwarranted private messages to other users, but I can't really go into more detail than that

boomerang
Mar 24 2015 14:51

knowing that is enough. i respect confidentiality.