Suggestions for improvement

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
pingtiao's picture
pingtiao
Jul 24 2006 09:18
Suggestions for improvement

Don't know if this should be here (please move when a more appropriate forum becomes available). Some ideas for improving useability of the new forums 1. having the access to the multiple pages of long thread at the top of the page as well as the bottom 2. have post numbers on each post in a long thread- currently you get the first post at the top of each page, and then beneath that you get the first reply of each page- perhaps changing that as well?

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jul 24 2006 09:48

I quite like having the original post at the top. I would like there to be some kind of dividing line seperating posts, sometimes it is hard to see where one ends and another begins if there are a lot of quotes and stuff.edit: when you post it seems to return you to the first page of the discussion. I'd prefer to have a choice of forum/see post like before, or to automatically see the post.edit: there are dividing lines, but they sometimes get lost.You really shouldn't ask me for feedback I make very little sense.

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Jul 24 2006 21:02

Hi, Only the tags at top of page in the library lead to texts; when clicking on author or group links they just come up 'page not found'.

Also font size of posts looks about .8 on my screen - is that intentional?

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 24 2006 21:05

Hi Ret, We have to manually change all the library links in the database, that hasn't been done yet but hopefully today or tomorrow it will be. Will look into post font size. 

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Jul 24 2006 21:15

OK, cheers. Is it possible to experiment with different fonts? Some of the same size look bigger than others and some suit colour backgrounds more than others. Is the font size of the one I'm typing with in the reply box the same as the one in the post? Cos the one in the reply box looks significantly bigger, but maybe isn't.

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Jul 24 2006 21:20

Did you just change the font size? When my last post flashed up the font on the whole thread was bigger than previously. (No, I'm not under the influence.)

Also - now you only see the last post when you're typing a reply, rather than the whole last page.

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 24 2006 21:28

yeah the font size in the text editor is different. I made the font size slightly bigger on pages itself. You can only see the post you reply to unfortunately, I don't think there's a way 'round that (apart from having two tabs open in firefox).

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Jul 24 2006 21:49

Font size on page is fine now.
Some of the examples on the 'compose tips' page are also very small font. http://libcom.org.uk/filter/tips

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 25 2006 08:42

ah right i see what happened. like i said on the other thread, this font size is too big for me and i can't shrink it manually without it going too small. could you set it so we could make it the size it was yesterday? also i think it would be better if text size in editor was the same as in forums

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 25 2006 08:47

I set it bigger, but it should be readable smaller in your browser settings.This also makes it the same size as the editor. edit: no had to set it back again. could take a bit of playing with and I'll wait for rkn I think wink

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Jul 25 2006 08:51
Quote:
i think it would be better if text size in editor was the same as in forums

Would agree with this (though like having the Arial slightly different to what is being typed with what is on page) mainly cos people with poor eyesight who need the forum text big will get really annoyed.Incidentally why is it indenting when you press return carriage? (inicidentally, my comment box isn't showing things like quote box options) 

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 25 2006 08:52

not sure about the carriage return indent, might be a css thing.

quote box is there but it's currently called indent

next to the link/chain. edit: carriage return issue is fixed. 

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Jul 25 2006 09:00

Hmm not sure it's the same, seems tobe a line box rather than for quotes

Quote:
See what I mean?

Would names of who's online be best at the bottom of the page btw? Just cos it'll be easily the longest list once the forums get full.

Mike Harman
Jul 25 2006 10:06

it's limited to showing 10 users. there's currently formatting issues if it's at the bottom of the page but hopefully we can fix that. testing to see if the time on this changes. 

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jul 25 2006 15:12

Could we have links opening in new windows please? Some of us are using IE (not as a statement)

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 25 2006 16:20

It told me.

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 25 2006 16:23

will look into that.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jul 26 2006 14:40
Jack wrote:
Also, despite what it says, it doesn't tell you if someone has added you as a friend when you next log in.

It told me, that's how I knew I had friends. What does the friendlist actually do? Is it just so you can keep track of who you like?  I'd quite like the topic review thing back if possible.

Nemo's picture
Nemo
Jul 26 2006 14:52

Nemo's friendlist
Friends: none
Friends of: none

It's just like being back at school cry , only with slightly less namecalling and fighting!

the button's picture
the button
Jul 26 2006 14:58

Jack's put me down as one of his friends, but I haven't got him as one of mine. This shit is cold.

Nemo's picture
Nemo
Jul 26 2006 15:05

I think the friends list is probably a bad thing. It'll start with me worrying about how popular I am, and then if I have the right friends, and enough of them, and if I'm cool and good looking enough, and eventually I'll be in tears over who I'm going to go the the prom with and what dress I'm gonna wear. Or I would be if I was American, a girl, knew what a "prom" was, and had friends to start with. See! It's starting already! eek

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jul 26 2006 15:20
the button wrote:
Jack's put me down as one of his friends, but I haven't got him as one of mine.This shit is cold.

It's the perfect opportunity for passive aggressive snubs.  Nemo, you should join the chess club. You can't get beaten up by the jocks at lunchtime if you're safe inside a classroom.

Nemo's picture
Nemo
Jul 26 2006 15:26

OK, but the last time I tried to go into a classroom at lunchtime the police arrested me, so I won't be doing that again!

Just for the record: that isn't true. I was gone by the time the police got there! grin

Refused's picture
Refused
Jul 26 2006 18:00

A link taking you to the latest post in a topic?

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 26 2006 18:08
jef costello wrote:
I'd quite like the topic review thing back if possible.

what was that?

Refused's picture
Refused
Jul 26 2006 18:25
libcom wrote:
jef costello wrote:

what was that?

If you were submitting a post and other posts had been submitted in between you pressing "reply" and then "submit" it would notify you and you could view the new posts before posting your reply. 

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jul 26 2006 18:33
Refused wrote:
libcom wrote:
jef costello wrote:

what was that?

If you were submitting a post and other posts had been submitted in between you pressing "reply" and then "submit" it would notify you and you could view the new posts before posting your reply.

Seconded, that really helped prevent my witty one-liners from being horribly misunderstood wink

libcom's picture
libcom
Jul 26 2006 18:51

That was (I thin) part of the cat_hierarchy mod we used, which was what made upgrades difficult and hacking easy. Don't think we'll be seeing it for a while tbh.

edit: but computers can have two browser windows open at the same time, giving exactly the same functionality.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jul 26 2006 18:55
libcom wrote:
That was (I thin) part of the cat_hierarchy mod we used, which was what made upgrades difficult and hacking easy. Don't think we'll be seeing it for a while tbh. edit: but computers can have two browser windows open at the same time, giving exactly the same functionality.

true, but i have firefox quite minimized at work to be discrete, but hey you've got more pressing tech issues grin 

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jul 27 2006 01:15
Refused wrote:
libcom wrote:
jef costello wrote:

what was that?

The thing that Refused said is nice, but topic review was the thing that let you see the last 10 or so posts. While you were writing your post.

davethemagicweasel
Jul 27 2006 09:02

1. Can we have a link on the forum index to the last page in the thread? 2. I second the call for a larger font - some of us are nearly legally blind and find this ocular-normative crap highly offensive angry wink 3. Personally I don't like having the first post of the thread on the top of every page coz I just end up reading it every single time. At the very least, can we have the first post more visibly separated from the rest of the thread? 4. Icons on the forum index to show when there are unread posts in a thread (or, if that's what those envelope things are, could someone please explain what they each mean coz I can't work it out sad) 5. Make the distinction between posts clearer - maybe a two-colour scheme for the backgrounds that alternates? Edit - also just noticed, can we have it take us to the last page rather than the first when we hit 'post'?  Or at least give us back the option?