Anarchist Graphic Novel - THE ILLEGALISTS

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
theillegalists's picture
theillegalists
Mar 6 2015 22:53
Anarchist Graphic Novel - THE ILLEGALISTS

Set in Paris 1911, against a backdrop of thieves, anarchists and bohemians;
a struggling mechanic is forced into crime, becoming France's most wanted man.
Based on True Events. (Inspired by 'The Bonnot Gang' by Richard Parry).

I've run out of money and have just launched a Kickstarter campaign
to finish and self-publish. Looking for support and backers -
please check out my video: KICKSTART THE ILLEGALISTS

Twitter
Facebook

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Mar 7 2015 09:53

Much as I think the Bonnot gang were a bunch of divs who brought untold shit down on the anarchist movement, this book looks beautiful and is probably a good subject for the graphic novel medium. I'm brassic at the minute but would consider chucking in a few bob when I'm less financially embarrassed. Good luck with it.

Mr. Jolly's picture
Mr. Jolly
Mar 7 2015 10:07

Looks great.

theillegalists's picture
theillegalists
Mar 11 2015 17:05

Thanks Serge! I'm glad you like the artwork and totally respect your views towards the Bonnot Gang.

theillegalists's picture
theillegalists
Mar 11 2015 17:05

Thanks Mr Jolly!

Fleur
Mar 12 2015 01:45

This looks really good and the artwork is gorgeous and I wish you the best of luck with it.
I don't know how you are promoting this but have you considered using social media to approach other artists and writers? A lot of people in the comic book business are more than happy to help each other out.

sub lumpen filth's picture
sub lumpen filth
Mar 12 2015 02:30

but why glorify shit politics?

sub lumpen filth
Mar 12 2015 02:35

bah, ignore the last post. sorry for being a hater. all in good fun mate. honestly you have done a lot of work, and after i checked it out i can honestly say its not shite. good work man, i cant kick it down as im broke myself here.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Mar 12 2015 19:01
theillegalists wrote:
Thanks Serge! I'm glad you like the artwork and totally respect your views towards the Bonnot Gang.

You're welcome. I notice the crowdfunding has 19 days to go. What happens then? Do you extend it, run it again or is that it?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 14 2015 14:48

Just to say I agree with Serge on the politics of the Bonnot gang, however their story is great, and despite bad politics I respect their (as well as notable others) true rebel status. They refused to submit to the state, to work, to the police, to boredom in an inspiring way.

The graphic novel looks great as well, I've chucked in some money. The first time I've actually contributed to one of these kickstarter things!

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Mar 14 2015 16:50
Serge Forward wrote:
theillegalists wrote:

You're welcome. I notice the crowdfunding has 19 days to go. What happens then? Do you extend it, run it again or is that it?

The way kickstarter works is if a project fails to reach its goal that's it. It only takes the money you pledged if and when a project meets its goal by the funding deadline. So assuming you're going to be financially in the black in about two weeks time you could pledge to donate now.

I think the project looks pretty good and have contributed, do you mind if I spread this on some of the other sites I go to?

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Mar 31 2015 14:01

Thought I'd add my two pennorth to help this little project out, now it has only about a day to go. I've stumped up a few bob for the artistic cause. Anyone else fancy giving it one last big push?

Agent of the International's picture
Agent of the In...
Mar 31 2015 14:10

It seems pretty close to its target goal. It probably just needs to be extended for another week or so.

Agent of the International's picture
Agent of the In...
Apr 1 2015 18:27
Quote:
April 1, 2015
Successfully raised £35,858 with 305 backers

Yay! Hip hip hooray!

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Apr 1 2015 19:03

Ace that. Mint!

Fleur
Apr 1 2015 21:33

Excellent news! Looking forward to reading it smile

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 1 2015 21:35

Yeah, me too! Although I was thinking if he didn't hit the target in time for the makers it would have been worth them donating the last few grand themselves, then paying themselves back with the other donations! As at least with this project good chunk of the book is done already and it would be silly to waste all the other money people had pledged

sub lumpen filth
Apr 3 2015 00:52

kicked in what I could scrape up on the last day. best of luck man.

jon active
Feb 12 2017 14:12

Copies of The Illegalists are now available from Active.
http://www.activedistributionshop.org/shop/comics-and-art/4180-c.html

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Feb 13 2017 09:48

So I got my copy of this, the illustrations are great but sadly overall it is very disappointing. I guess to save money they massively abbreviated the story, so it is not very compelling at all

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Feb 13 2017 17:28
Steven. wrote:
So I got my copy of this, the illustrations are great but sadly overall it is very disappointing. I guess to save money they massively abbreviated the story, so it is not very compelling at all

I disagree, I think as an emotional work its pretty good, it makes Bonnot and his crew look like modern robin hood types and the French state and capitalists like monsters. And it shows instead of tells. Most political comics have read have paragraph after paragraph of exposition for several pages.

I think its weakness is in how incredibly inaccurate it is as a retelling. I mean it has Palatino surviving when in he reality he was killed before the gang was formed. And Bonnot is reluctantly pushed into Illegalism, but the real Bonnot had had a string of thefts and at least one death on his hands before he moved to Paris.