Anarchist Graphic Novel - THE ILLEGALISTS

Submitted by theillegalists on March 6, 2015

Set in Paris 1911, against a backdrop of thieves, anarchists and bohemians;
a struggling mechanic is forced into crime, becoming France's most wanted man.
Based on True Events. (Inspired by 'The Bonnot Gang' by Richard Parry).

I've run out of money and have just launched a Kickstarter campaign
to finish and self-publish. Looking for support and backers -
please check out my video: KICKSTART THE ILLEGALISTS

Twitter
Facebook

Serge Forward

9 years 1 month ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Serge Forward on March 7, 2015

Much as I think the Bonnot gang were a bunch of divs who brought untold shit down on the anarchist movement, this book looks beautiful and is probably a good subject for the graphic novel medium. I'm brassic at the minute but would consider chucking in a few bob when I'm less financially embarrassed. Good luck with it.

Mr. Jolly

9 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Mr. Jolly on March 7, 2015

Looks great.

theillegalists

9 years 1 month ago

Submitted by theillegalists on March 11, 2015

Thanks Serge! I'm glad you like the artwork and totally respect your views towards the Bonnot Gang.

theillegalists

9 years 1 month ago

Submitted by theillegalists on March 11, 2015

Thanks Mr Jolly!

Fleur

9 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Fleur on March 12, 2015

This looks really good and the artwork is gorgeous and I wish you the best of luck with it.
I don't know how you are promoting this but have you considered using social media to approach other artists and writers? A lot of people in the comic book business are more than happy to help each other out.

sub lumpen filth

9 years 1 month ago

Submitted by sub lumpen filth on March 12, 2015

but why glorify shit politics?

sub lumpen filth

9 years 1 month ago

Submitted by sub lumpen filth on March 12, 2015

bah, ignore the last post. sorry for being a hater. all in good fun mate. honestly you have done a lot of work, and after i checked it out i can honestly say its not shite. good work man, i cant kick it down as im broke myself here.

Serge Forward

9 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on March 12, 2015

theillegalists

Thanks Serge! I'm glad you like the artwork and totally respect your views towards the Bonnot Gang.

You're welcome. I notice the crowdfunding has 19 days to go. What happens then? Do you extend it, run it again or is that it?

Steven.

9 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Steven. on March 14, 2015

Just to say I agree with Serge on the politics of the Bonnot gang, however their story is great, and despite bad politics I respect their (as well as notable others) true rebel status. They refused to submit to the state, to work, to the police, to boredom in an inspiring way.

The graphic novel looks great as well, I've chucked in some money. The first time I've actually contributed to one of these kickstarter things!

Reddebrek

9 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Reddebrek on March 14, 2015

Serge Forward

theillegalists

You're welcome. I notice the crowdfunding has 19 days to go. What happens then? Do you extend it, run it again or is that it?

The way kickstarter works is if a project fails to reach its goal that's it. It only takes the money you pledged if and when a project meets its goal by the funding deadline. So assuming you're going to be financially in the black in about two weeks time you could pledge to donate now.

I think the project looks pretty good and have contributed, do you mind if I spread this on some of the other sites I go to?

Serge Forward

9 years ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on March 31, 2015

Thought I'd add my two pennorth to help this little project out, now it has only about a day to go. I've stumped up a few bob for the artistic cause. Anyone else fancy giving it one last big push?

Agent of the I…

9 years ago

Submitted by Agent of the I… on March 31, 2015

It seems pretty close to its target goal. It probably just needs to be extended for another week or so.

Agent of the I…

9 years ago

Submitted by Agent of the I… on April 1, 2015

April 1, 2015
Successfully raised £35,858 with 305 backers

Yay! Hip hip hooray!

Serge Forward

9 years ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on April 1, 2015

Ace that. Mint!

Fleur

9 years ago

Submitted by Fleur on April 1, 2015

Excellent news! Looking forward to reading it :)

Steven.

9 years ago

Submitted by Steven. on April 1, 2015

Yeah, me too! Although I was thinking if he didn't hit the target in time for the makers it would have been worth them donating the last few grand themselves, then paying themselves back with the other donations! As at least with this project good chunk of the book is done already and it would be silly to waste all the other money people had pledged

sub lumpen filth

9 years ago

Submitted by sub lumpen filth on April 3, 2015

kicked in what I could scrape up on the last day. best of luck man.

jon active

7 years 2 months ago

Submitted by jon active on February 12, 2017

Copies of The Illegalists are now available from Active.
http://www.activedistributionshop.org/shop/comics-and-art/4180-c.html

Steven.

7 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on February 13, 2017

So I got my copy of this, the illustrations are great but sadly overall it is very disappointing. I guess to save money they massively abbreviated the story, so it is not very compelling at all

Reddebrek

7 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Reddebrek on February 13, 2017

Steven.

So I got my copy of this, the illustrations are great but sadly overall it is very disappointing. I guess to save money they massively abbreviated the story, so it is not very compelling at all

I disagree, I think as an emotional work its pretty good, it makes Bonnot and his crew look like modern robin hood types and the French state and capitalists like monsters. And it shows instead of tells. Most political comics have read have paragraph after paragraph of exposition for several pages.

I think its weakness is in how incredibly inaccurate it is as a retelling. I mean it has Palatino surviving when in he reality he was killed before the gang was formed. And Bonnot is reluctantly pushed into Illegalism, but the real Bonnot had had a string of thefts and at least one death on his hands before he moved to Paris.