Anarchist Public Spaces

Submitted by jondwhite on October 24, 2016

Are there any permanent anarchist public spaces? Maybe I'm thinking Infoshops. Something like bookfair spaces but more permanent. Would more infoshops be good?

boozemonarchy

7 years 6 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by boozemonarchy on October 24, 2016

In the US, infoshops seem to be geared a tad subculturally but yea, I'm not opposed certainly. Basically the entirety of my organzing has been in towns without that kind of infrastructure and it can be a problem. I for one, like meeting in bars, but I also recognize it is not really an accessible or desirable place for that kind of business.

I'm more inclined for a "Workers Center" type place with a focus on organizing but also a sort of social center for workers. Like, maybe it could arrange a baseball team to play in the local league and so forth.

Yes, more spaces would be good - but they require a lot of work and money. My advice, don't focus on the space when you start organizing, focus on the struggle - the space should follow, not lead in this regard. After it's established, the best you can aim for is it being a catalyst or at least a center of support for local struggle.