Antidepressants in the UK

Submitted by shortshanks re… on April 14, 2017

Surely this must be a record in recent history ? https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/apr/14/antidepressants-prescribed-deprived-seaside-towns-of-north-and-east-blackpool-sunderland-and-east-lindsey-nhs

Data published last year by the Health and Social Care Information Centre, now renamed NHS Digital, showed that there were 61m NHS prescriptions for antidepressants in England in 2015. This was double the number prescribed a decade earlier and had a net cost to the health service of nearly £285m.

potrokin

7 years ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by potrokin on April 15, 2017

It sounds to me like a new record considering the 61m figure. I have been on anti-depressants myself in the past and do suffer from depression. I think anti-depressants and medication can certainly help people but they can also have some negative side effects. I also feel that, with me personally, it's not me thats the problem but the society we inhabit thats the problem so I don't take anti-depressants, for me to take the anti-depressants would be an admission that the problem was myself- not the system but I understand they can help people. I do make sure to take my anti-psychotics though as not doing so would no doubt be disasterously stupid. An interesting post, thankyou for sharing.

shortshanks re…

7 years ago

Submitted by shortshanks re… on April 15, 2017

Regarding the nhs prescriptions- This being the medication we know about. Self medication is evident in most places in the uk , its a scandal reeking chaos in peoples lives and i keep thinking is this not enough evidence that the whole rotten system is harming us in multiple ways. That this hasnt brought people together is frightening . It churns my stomach that the royals and this government pretend they care with their self promoting schemes.

potrokin

7 years ago

Submitted by potrokin on April 15, 2017

I'm guessing you are referring to this http://www.royalfoundation.com/heads-together-duke-duchess-cambridge-prince-harry-working-eliminate-stigma-around-mental-health/