Building an anarchist future - ideas/resources?

Submitted by MH on February 26, 2016

The 8th Bristol anarchist bookfair (30th April) will focus on 'Building an anarchist future'.

We'd welcome suggestions of texts (articles, pamphlets, books etc) that relate to this concept - anyone have any suggestions? Preferably not sci-fi!

We also welcome proposals for workshops/meetings on this general topic. These could focus on historical examples where attempts have been made to create anarchist alternatives, be they in the 18th or 21st centuries! We'd also like proposals that set out how such a society may work, for example - how would we produce/distribute food & resources; how would we deal with anti-social or counter-revolutionary elements after aboloshing cops & prisons; who would maintain infrastructure such as sewers & utilities; how would we deal with external/foreign attacks on such a society; how would we organise this society in a horizontal non-hierarchical fashion; and so on.

Constructive suggestions, proposals, comments from LibCom users are welcomed! Thanks.

Steven.

8 years 1 month ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Steven. on February 27, 2016

Thanks for posting here, an interesting topic.

I think this is a worthwhile exercise, and we would be interested in hosting anything which is come up with from these discussions.

This blog post came to mind, about workers discussing their jobs "after the revolution":
https://libcom.org/blog/your-job-after-revolution-26042012

In general I don't really think about this too much, as while I think it can be useful, I think technological changes will make any practical proposals pretty much irrelevant within just a few years, especially with the increasing pace of technological innovation

Sleeper

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Sleeper on February 27, 2016

I believe its essential we think about the kind of society we want and how it will function. We've been close in Russia and Spain, but we have to spread our anarchist ideas and see how people decide to organise themselves armed with the knowledge of our previous attempts to move beyond capitalism and the state.

MH

7 years 12 months ago

Submitted by MH on April 27, 2016

Thanks for comments!
The Bristol Anarchist Bookfair programme, including the Radical History Zone, is now finalised - full details here.

Come along & join in if you are in the area this Saturday, 30th April.