CGT/CNT joint mobilisation?

50 posts / 0 new
Last post
akai
Sep 20 2011 12:14

I am not sure Yepa where we have any strong disagreement... obviously we are in support of much more decisive action of the Spanish working class and we can only hope that you have more success mobilizing a response. I also appreciate your pragmatic concerns and I think I was trying to reflect the fact that still, these concerns can be more complex and there is more to the equation.

The states and capitalists have many ways to defend themselves against the militance of the working class, especially if it is locally confined. I am more interested in hearing about the analysis of what has to be done, what are the most effective ways of fighting and what problems one can expect. (But I prefer to hear about this off-list.)

A large national mobilization might have positive effects. (Hope so.) Yepa talks about victory. I am aware of some of the concrete things the CNT sections have spoken out against and of course totally understand the idea in fighting these concrete things... nobody here is interested in fashion, folklore or anything else except fighting as workers and defending our position against even further erosion. Hopefully the criteria of what victory is, the demands and way of reacting to the capitalists' attempts to cut their losses will be similar.

Here's a tangent... how have the capitalists responded to the increased militance and mobilizations of the working class when they are confined to local mobilizations (just one country)? It is abundantly clear to us here that, besides different mechanisms of international financial policy (like those being used in Greece at the moment), another popular method is simply to move jobs... for example here. So far we haven't seen many jobs moved from Spain to Poland... but the amount of workplaces transferred here from the UK, Ireland, Germany, France and Italy is quite impressive.

The unions have basically retreated in Poland, taking the stance as if they are a beneficiary of such processes and, at times, actively dissuading the working class from doing anything. The role of the concessionist unions and trampled working class here is also one of undermining the global struggle due to an almost beggar-like position of our workers.

Sorry if I made your recipe for a clear broth into some thick soup, but we come from a different position and I am thinking 10 steps ahead into the future. If Spain had a real estate crisis, its capitalists simply came here and imposed a property speculation crisis on us. In a quite sober analysis of how the capitalists are likely to protect themselves, we see either downward pressure on your standard of living or an outflow of your jobs. So the main thing we are interested in is developing a relevant and pragmatic but militant response on an international level. This is one reason why locally it is still important for us to stress the methodology of independent and democratic unionism and fight against anything that is calling for partnership with and relationships with the state, because those positions have sold out the working class and channeled energy from militance into soft opposition. This is very relevant to us and partly explains the tragic situation of the labour movement in this country. So please accept that while we send our strongest solidarity to your struggle, we also find it important to express our support for a certain way of daily organizing because honestly what is going to count in the long run is this, and not just on the local level, but internationally.

Yepa
Sep 20 2011 15:54

Sorry if it looked like i was disagree with you, english its not my first languaje and i can not use the words i would like to.

100% agree with the international reply and organization, but at the moment we are far away from that, from my point of view we need asap to be first better coordinated in europe, something like an european confederation within IWA, but this is not going to happend in a near future, and could make weaker non-european sections of IWA.

Salud compañero!

Salvoechea
Sep 20 2011 16:30

As for the 15M movement right now, the momentum is still low. I think the biggest division is between those who look to the General elections of 20th november (the people who still believe in parlamentarian politics) and those who push for a General Strike (for instance communists and trots support both ways.).

In the summer the momement lost steam, with the holidays and so on. The most interesting thing is the convergence of 15M with the struggles in education and hospitals against the cuts. And now if CCOO and UGT don't call for a strike, the base radical unions will do. The problem is the size. The general strike of 27th Jan of this year showed that CGT is not strong enough to paralise Catalonia (or even Barcelona). They have had some internal problems out of this and I think they have learned the lesson and won't call for another general strike doomed to fail. That is the point of this day of mobilisations.

Caiman del Barrio
Sep 21 2011 17:20

Was asked to translate this 2 weeks back, finally got round to it. Soz everyone, it's a bit rushed:

http://cnt.es/noticias/29-s-la-lucha-est%C3%A1-en-la-calle-hacia-la-huelga-general

Quote:
Various union organisations and social movements release a schedule of joint mobilisations leading towards a general strike

Throughout summer, various union organisations across the federalist sphere – such as the CGT, CNT, COBAS, CSC and Solidaridad Obrera – have held various meetings in order to put into motion a mobilised response, based on the unity of action and class, towards the end of a General Strike against the cuts and loss of rights put in place by both the government and European institutions and upon the orders of the bosses and the markets.

With the deepening of the cuts, reforms and attacks against workers throughout this summer, coupled with the disinclination of the institutional unions to offer a real and necessary response to them, we reiterate that we’re convinced that the moment has arrived to go out on the streets and say, “ENOUGH!” – putting in motion, with no further delay, the push towards a general strike that has the capacity to confront the current capitalist offensive as well as advancing the seizure of new social rights.

To this end - following the most recent meeting of union organisations on 2 Sept - we call for a day of action on the 29th under the slogan of “THE STRUGGLE IS IN THE STREETS – TOWARDS A GENERAL STRIKE”; to which we openly invite all union organisations, workers’ collectives and social movements from all regions and sectors who want to make this callout their own and break with the CCOO’s and UGT’s policies of social partnership and demobilisation.

This process has already begun, including – as it did in the most recent meeting – the participation of various local and industrial organisations such as ASSI Zaragoza, Sindicato Asambleario de Sanidad de Madrid and the working group for the General Strike from 15M Madrid, and we now want to extend the call to any union organisation from any region or background which shares the necessity to build for the mobilisation towards a general strike on these premises.

To this end, next 17 Sept [sorry – lol!] will see another meeting with a variety of union organisations, with the intention of broadening the unified and necessary class-based response and the aim of continuing to unify our efforts for a workers’ solution to the crisis, working together to prepare a general strike.
To this end, next 24 Sept we will hold a public debate, streamed over the internet, between various union organisations, about the current situation of the working class, the responses and the alternatives to be developed.

We call on workers – be they employed or unemployed – students, all those who are affected by the cuts to public services, the social movements, those in the square and neighbourhood assemblies who share the need to mobilise for a general strike, to participate in and take ownership of this callout, to come out onto the streets on 29S, to spread the word in workplaces, neighbourhoods and towns, in order to make it effective and real throughout different localities and regions.

Similarly, we call on people to support the previously announced mobilisations by education workers and public health workers.

29S – the struggle is in the streets – towards a general strike

Mark.
Sep 23 2011 11:54

Two lists of events planned across Spain on 29 September; from madrid29s and rojo y negro.

Other unions involved at a local level along with the CNT and CGT include the regional unions SAT in Cordoba, CSU Extremadura in Merida and ESK in Pamplona.

Toms's picture
Toms
Sep 23 2011 17:52
Mark. wrote:
Two lists of events planned across Spain on 29 September; from madrid29s and rojo y negro.

Other unions involved at a local level along with the CNT and CGT include the regional unions SAT in Cordoba, CSU Extremadura in Merida and ESK in Pamplona.

There's a list here also, but it has basically the same things as the one from rojoynegro.

And related to the 29S thing, there's going a debate on the current situation of the working class

Mark.
Sep 24 2011 17:09

This is being broadcast now.

Caiman del Barrio
Sep 28 2011 16:52

Solidarity demo tomorrow:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=139789709451565
http://indymedia.org.uk/en/2011/09/485319.html

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Sep 28 2011 18:22

http://libcom.org/forums/announcements/support-spanish-workers-towards-general-strike-september-29th-london-280920

Mark.
Sep 30 2011 10:11

29S on twitter

Photos:

Murcia

Valladolid

Edit: more photos

alasbarricadas thread

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Sep 30 2011 15:49

thanks for that Mark.

Mark.
Nov 10 2011 00:39

Week of protest (14-18 Nov) against the Social Pact and towards the General Strike

Quote:
The Confederación General del Trabajo (CGT), Confederación Nacional del Trabajo (CNT) and Solidaridad Obrera (SO) trade unions met on 17th October last with the aim of continuing along the path towards unity of action, mobilization and the General Strike.

Mobilizations that have become necessary in order to fight policies of cuts in social spending, the dismantlement of public services (healthcare, transport, education, etc.) and the loss of labour and social rights that are currently being promoted by European governments and institutions at the behest of the employers and markets, and also against labour reforms, changes to the pension system and the reform of collective bargaining. Because they want the working class and the most vulnerable sectors of society to pay for the crisis and make sure the capitalist system survives.

The CGT, the CNT and SO recognize the positive nature of the demonstrations of anger and indignation that have been seen on the streets and in squares all over the country, and we call for fresh, united action to be taken.

We call on all trade unions, social movements, popular neighborhood and village assemblies, the 15-M working groups and all workers in general to participate and to come together and endorse a week of protest against the Social Pact and for the General Strike, to be held between the 14th and 18th November and culminating in the call for decentralized mobilizations on 18th November, calling into question an election process designed to legitimize the political class that continues to act against the working class.

It will only be possible to reverse the current measures of the political class in favour of the banking system and large employers and work instead for the benefit of the working classes by developing a strong process of struggle on the streets and in the workplaces.

That's what 18N will be all about...

The struggle is on the streets! Towards the General Strike!

Confederación General del Trabajo
Confederación Nacional del Trabajo
Confederación Sindical Solidaridad Obrera

Translation by FdCA-International relations office

Related Link: http://semanadelucha.wordpress.com/

This is presumably timed to coincide with the run-up to the elections on 20 November.

Standfield's picture
Standfield
Nov 17 2011 16:45

Don't want to throw the thread off here, but can anyone direct me to a link, or explain what the main differences are between CGT and CNT? They are both Anarcho-Syndicalist right, so what is this disagreement they have with each other? Why don't they get along? All I ot from Wiki was that there was a "split" from CNT/AIT in 1979, but it doesn't go beyond that. Cheers in advance for any help!

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Nov 17 2011 16:51

Standfield: the split centred on participation in works councils (a sort of workplace parliament, with representatives elected from different unions), corresponding state subsidies (unions are given state money to participate), and also about 'liberados' (basically facility time/full time officials). The French CNT-AIT wrote why they don't participate in works councils here, and the Spanish CNT explain a bit in their 'Three No's' here.

Standfield's picture
Standfield
Nov 18 2011 13:16

Nice one, thanks Joseph, will read them now.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Nov 18 2011 14:28

Obv those are both IWA perspectives, I think the other sides would tend to argue their larger memberships and resources justify their 'pragmatism' vs the smaller IWA unions which stuck to anarchist 'dogma'.

Mark.
Nov 18 2011 23:03
Standfield wrote:
Don't want to throw the thread off here, but can anyone direct me to a link, or explain what the main differences are between CGT and CNT? They are both Anarcho-Syndicalist right, so what is this disagreement they have with each other?
Joseph Kay wrote:
Obv those are both IWA perspectives, I think the other sides would tend to argue their larger memberships and resources justify their 'pragmatism' vs the smaller IWA unions which stuck to anarchist 'dogma'.

There's an interview with a CGT member here which I suppose gives some of their side of the argument, though this is from 1998 and a lot has changed. In particular the CNT has grown, has more of a workplace presence and, for the most part, has better relations with the CGT.

Standfield's picture
Standfield
Nov 19 2011 03:38

Nice one, thanks people. Getting an understanding of this, which is great.