A cop consultant? A reading list.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Blasto
Nov 5 2011 12:52
A cop consultant? A reading list.

It won't have escaped people's notice that there is a fierce debate around the research work of a member of Aufheben. That debate can be found here, and as you will see from the title it was initially about the behaviour of libcom admin but has since ranged far and wide.

Libcom admin have quite rightly suggested that people read the documents themselves and form their own opinion. I have made my views clear elsewhere, but I have restrained from commenting here, with the hope that people will take the opportunity to read through the documents themselves and develop an informed opinion rather than just cheerlead on such a serious topic.

I think it would be helpful to everyone if comments on this thread were confined to ensuring the reading list is accurate and complete - accusations about who did or didn't write what, when and why, redaction, abuses of privilege, etc are all covered in the documents listed, and a blow-by-blow account is given on the other thread, which is rumbling on as I type.

All these links have already been shown elsewhere, I have just pulled them all together. I have offered a short description where the title of the article doesn't speak for itself.

Items in italics have been requested to be added after this was originally posted

The accusations and counter accusations:

TPTG open letter

Aufheben respond

TPTG second open letter

Samatnof's article on J

The main discussion on libcom

The further reading:
These are all the links I could find in the debate. They have all been offered by contributors to the articles above and are in no particular order.

Chaos Theory article on divide and rule crowd control tactics

Knowledge-Based Public Order Policing: Principles and Practice article

Archived biographical page

Another archived biographical page

Description of police consultancy work

The Role of Police Perceptions and Practices in the Development of ‘Public Disorder’

Crowds, context and identity: Dynamic categorization processes in the 'poll tax riot'

Another biog

Dr Clifford Stott describing the history and context of the research in question on his first comment on this Facebook page.

Stott's Facebook page again, this time describing J making recommendations to Greater Manchester Police.

J describing his research as and of road protesters

Press release from University of Sussex

J's personal page, with a bibliography.

Science, Strategy & Tactics, a training block delivered by Dr J

A profile by J, which describes his research topics

j's blog "the Crowd"

J acknowledged as an editor of a document on public order police training

EDIT updating source list to include:

Greater Manchester Policing of Major Events policy review
in which J was a participant 'expert'

Wikipedia ebtry on "Crowd Manipulation", citing J's crowd model

The Social Psychology of 'Public Disorder' symposium, at an International conference on psychology and police investigations, 2001

Improving Police Stott and friends' crowd control model in the context of Occupy (J's blog cited).

Aspects of crowd control model in action on video

admin: thread locked, discussion thread here: http://libcom.org/forums/feedback-content/why-article-has-been-removed-07102011

888's picture
Oct 17 2011 23:45

This is a really important issue... oh wait, no it's not.

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Oct 18 2011 00:17

I'm in between Blasto and 888 on this....

Blasto
Nov 5 2011 12:53

Updated source list to include:

Greater Manchester Policing of Major Events policy review
in which J was a participant 'expert'

Wikipedia ebtry on "Crowd Manipulation", citing J's crowd model

The Social Psychology of 'Public Disorder' symposium, at an International conference on psychology and police investigations, 2001

Improving Police Stott and friends' crowd control model in the context of Occupy (J's blog cited).

Aspects of crowd control model in action on video

vanilla.ice.baby
Nov 7 2011 08:21

srs bsns

Topic locked