Dealing with racism

Submitted by infektfm on November 17, 2015

What's a good way to deal with people who are being overtly racist (verbally) toward you?

No discussion can convince them. It's so ridiculous that I have to argue for my own dignity in the first place. Any response I give just feels so inadequate. Either I just roll my eyes and say "wow" and essentially give them a pass, or I go too hard on them to the point that I actually feel bad. It becomes gratuitous, like berating a small child. It doesn't know any better, what the hell am I doing?

freemind

8 years 5 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by freemind on November 17, 2015

Try these comrade;
WHEN FACED WITH A PIG I EXPECT NOTHING MORE THAN A GRUNT.
......AND YOURE JUST WORKING CLASS TRASH.
YOURE ALREADY DEAD
WHICHEVER WAY YOU WANT IT.
PUT A HAMMER THROUGH THE BASTARDS FACE

Sike

7 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Sike on November 30, 2016

Where is this racist verbal abuse occurring? School, work, home, on the streets? What is your relationship to the abusive party? Also, is this more or less a one off event? Or is it something that is happening to you regularly?

Every situation of course has it's own peculiarities and those dealing with racist verbal abuse are no exception, but If your certain that a person hurling racist insults can't be swayed otherwise and it's safe to do so then simply tell them to piss off. There is no point in attempting to reason with someone whose behavior demonstrates that they insist on being unreasonable.

However, if the racist in question may present a real physical danger to you, like if there exists a significant size disparity between you and the racist, or they may be carrying a weapon (even a small pocketknife or improvised weapon), and you yourself are isolated then the pragmatic thing to do might be to simply grit your teeth, say nothing, and walk away to fight another day under conditions that are more in your favor.

Also, if it's an ongoing problem you might try to get in touch with any anti-racist solidarity organizations in your area as these might be helpful in aiding you to organize a pro-active response to the racist abuse that you are facing.

Sike

7 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Sike on November 30, 2016

freemind, I hope that your being facetious because anyone who follows your horrible advice will undoubtedly end up behind bars surrounded by a bunch of racist prison guards and white-supremacist prison gangs for a very long time.