Disturbing comments on Facebook

88 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jan 8 2012 18:57
Disturbing comments on Facebook

Edit - TRIGGER WARNING - sexual violence

The y Facebook page, rather stupidly in my view posted a link to vice's Babes of the BNP article. Now, that article maybe quite amusing, but it's not appropriate to be linked to by a revolutionary group.

In the Facebook discussion following it, the person in control of the x Facebook page posted a comment, which was removed by y, stating the women should be "violated by Jews and blacks".

Here are a couple of the later comments from the discussion as well:

Quote:
x I'm a bad "sexist" for wanting some fascist scums to be raped LOL

x The same can be said to the partisans, those damn "pro-rape" dickheads. But wait, most of you like WW2 partisans. Well i got a news for you, partisans done some good fascist raping smile)

Now, it seems pretty clear that it is just one person from the group saying this stuff, but it is totally inappropriate. And in no way should this person have the right to speak to the organisation on Facebook. Someone in the group should have a proper talk with this individual and explain to them why this sort of comment is absolutely unacceptable from anyone claiming to be a revolutionary or an anarchist.

admin - edited thread title to include trigger warning due to the content

MT
Jan 8 2012 19:14

there's lots of crazies in anarchist milieu. it is clear such person has no right to moderate the group's account. and i think such person should be kicked out of the group as well. on the other hand i doubt this is a rare position among the people with antifascist ideas who many times have "the end justify the means" approach.

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Jan 8 2012 20:24

I just read the exchange. It is crazy. He seems to just keep digging himself further and further into a hole of

vanilla.ice.baby
Jan 8 2012 22:35

Presumably someone has emailed the group to let them know what is going on?

If not it might be good to.

Harrison
Aug 5 2013 10:30

this is horrible

Ramona's picture
Ramona
Jan 8 2012 23:39

Oh god how horrible sad

Harrison
Jan 9 2012 01:02

sent an email to them

Battlescarred
Jan 9 2012 15:29

This is vile and should not be tolerated

Harrison
Jan 9 2012 17:10

the person who replied to my email has stated they are also shocked, and are internally investigating this and will reply soon

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jan 9 2012 20:00
Harrison wrote:
the person who replied to my email has stated they are also shocked, and are internally investigating this and will reply soon

thanks for doing that. I should have done it myself

Transcona Slim's picture
Transcona Slim
Jan 10 2012 02:46

The worst part of it all is that the person is trying to justify this blatant sexism on anti-fascism and an 'over reaction' by 'Bourgeois Feminism'. Of course, it seems allot of 'manarchists' try and blame there misogamy on 'Bourgeois feminism' while there 'real' manly working class feminism understands the reality that they should be workers first and worry about that women stuff later.

Also, a whole bunch of terrible 'gaslighting' (http://thecurrentconscience.com/blog/2011/09/12/a-message-to-women-from-a-man-you-are-not-%E2%80%9Ccrazy%E2%80%9D/).

There's another 'anarchist' on the youtubes, mr1001nights, who engages in this sort of misogyny - of course, his is based on a pop reading of evolutionary psychology mixed with anti-civ garbage and Noam Chomsky. If this is a 'trend' then it needs to be combated as much as the BNP and other fascists.

IASR's picture
IASR
Jan 11 2012 13:32

Greetings Comrades,

We want to inform everyone that after thorough investigation, we concluded that the respective individual that made such comments, is eligible for removal from our collective, for breaking internal social networking guidelines, which were voluntarily agreed to be uphold by anyone utilizing social networking accounts.
The views expressed in the comments, are those of the respective individual and do not necessarily represent the views of IASR. Although the respective individual cannot be reached for further comments via telephone nor email, IASR wants to collectively apologize for such despicable comments, and to assure anyone that IASR does not tolerate any kind of reactionary behavior.

All the best ,
IASR (Anarcho-Syndicalist Initiative from Romania)
International Secretariat

Jason Cortez
Jan 11 2012 13:43

Good to hear this. Perhaps this incident can be used to open up a discussion in ISAR around issues of sexism and aproppirate behaviour on the internet.

akai
Jan 11 2012 14:12

It's good that this was handled quickly and appropriately. Not all groups do anything about such stuff and some people could learn from that.

That said, you may want to also have a talk in general about using the name of the group on the internet, since I have seen a lot of problems in different groups around that. What I mean is that for many groups, it is not allowed to do things like register an email, organization name or use the organization name for internet posting by individuals, and, if the name is registered as a username, any text under it has to be either an officially agreed text, or some might allow a secretary to post, provided the text was signed as such. Don't know what your internal rules already are, but something to consider.

There is also a question that moderators of forums and pages can discuss and that is about the registration of usernames as names of organizations. Some might consider that, well, this is an internal problem of that organization to control, but I know of sad cases where people not from the organization have signed and that organization had problems. In one place where I am a moderator, I don't let comments go signed like that unless I am sure it's authorized by that organization. Tricky issue, but a few times when I have taken the time to check this, it turned out to be an abusive use of the organization's name.

Wren's picture
Wren
Jan 11 2012 14:46

I was one of the first people to engage with this person. Their initial comment was deleted by London Wobblies, but the initial statement was, "Oh please, cry me a river, these fascist whores should be violated by Jews and Blacks." After that comment was deleted I took screen shots of everything this person said as to hold them accountable. I am sickened and disgusted by the whole thing. Particularly because they are seemingly involved with the IWW to some extent seeing as how I have many mutual Wob friends with them and they actively post in an IWW group on Facebook "Red Card Holders".

Jason Cortez
Jan 11 2012 14:54

It is probably a good idea to share this info around so other people know that this individual holds these views and that they have been expelled from ISAR

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Jan 11 2012 14:54

Thanks for the reply IASR.

IASR wrote:
The views expressed in the comments, are those of the respective individual and do not necessarily represent the views of IASR. Although the respective individual cannot be reached for further comments via telephone nor email,

I am a little confused here. Do you mean that you do not have his telephone number or email address? Is he an IASR member or just someone with access to the account. As Akai has pointed out, this seems like a lesson in better security for all of us!

IASR's picture
IASR
Jan 11 2012 15:55
Wren wrote:
I was one of the first people to engage with this person. Their initial comment was deleted by London Wobblies, but the initial statement was, "Oh please, cry me a river, these fascist whores should be violated by Jews and Blacks." After that comment was deleted I took screen shots of everything this person said as to hold them accountable. I am sickened and disgusted by the whole thing. Particularly because they are seemingly involved with the IWW to some extent seeing as how I have many mutual Wob friends with them and they actively post in an IWW group on Facebook "Red Card Holders".

Greetings Comrade Wren,

Again, the views expressed in the comments, are those of the respective individual and do not necessarily represent the views of IASR.
IASR as a collective was engaged with the IWW, and our international secretary even gave an interview for the "Industrial Worker" (the 2011 November issue). Once again, our international secretary alongside FW's from the IWW, created the "Red Card Holders" as a private group for Wobblies in response to the spamming and trolling in the official IWW fb group.

Such an incident can happen to anyone, if our organization was indeed this reactionary, the FW's from the IWW wouldn't even talk with us nor the IWA-AIT for that matter, and this problem wouldn't even be resolved. We take the responsibility of this individual, and we collectively apologize for any harm done to you or anyone else involved in that particular conversation. I hope there is no animosity.

Arbeiten wrote:
Thanks for the reply IASR.
IASR wrote:
The views expressed in the comments, are those of the respective individual and do not necessarily represent the views of IASR. Although the respective individual cannot be reached for further comments via telephone nor email,

I am a little confused here. Do you mean that you do not have his telephone number or email address? Is he an IASR member or just someone with access to the account. As Akai has pointed out, this seems like a lesson in better security for all of us!

Of course, he was a member of IASR, but he seems to be out of reach to us. His telephone number is closed, and he doesn't answer to our emails. This individual was in charge of the FB account, until our international secretary resolved his personal problems and came back. There is something suspicious, we won't make any comments on suspicions, but we will start another investigation, and if our suspicions are backed by hard evidence, we will announce everyone.

Hope everyone understands,
All the best.

Wren's picture
Wren
Jan 11 2012 15:56

So does that mean the FB account this person was posting under is now run by someone entirely different? Because I almost just had an aneurysm when that account added me on FB this morning.

IASR's picture
IASR
Jan 11 2012 16:11
Wren wrote:
So does that mean the FB account this person was posting under is now run by someone entirely different? Because I almost just had an aneurysm when that account added me on FB this morning.

Yes, as i said, the individual is out of reach. I am the international secretary, i usually handle the FB account. And yes, I've added you, precisely for apologizing personally in behalf of that person, because it seems, that he lost his entire human dignity.

Wren's picture
Wren
Jan 11 2012 16:14

Okay thank you for clarifying. I was confused only because it's not technically a group facebook page - just a personal page with a group name. Good on you.

IASR's picture
IASR
Jan 11 2012 16:24

We also have a group facebook page, but we usually use this personal page as a means in socializing with other workers and activists around the world.

Thanks for understanding.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jan 11 2012 18:15
IASR wrote:
Greetings Comrades,

We want to inform everyone that after thorough investigation, we concluded that the respective individual that made such comments, is eligible for removal from our collective, for breaking internal social networking guidelines, which were voluntarily agreed to be uphold by anyone utilizing social networking accounts.
The views expressed in the comments, are those of the respective individual and do not necessarily represent the views of IASR. Although the respective individual cannot be reached for further comments via telephone nor email, IASR wants to collectively apologize for such despicable comments, and to assure anyone that IASR does not tolerate any kind of reactionary behavior.

All the best ,
IASR (Anarcho-Syndicalist Initiative from Romania)
International Secretariat

well done for dealing with this so quickly.

I have removed your organisation name from this thread title and URL, so that it is less likely to show up in Google searches so the involvement of this individual should not tarnish the reputation of your organisation.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jan 11 2012 22:44
Wren wrote:

Is IASR part of the Red and Black Co-ordination?

I ask because, if so, the UK IWW is involved (my understanding is that they're not a full member and don't have voting rights, but attend their international events as observers and have membership transfer agreements with one or more of the RBC sections).

Just for Wren's info.

redsdisease
Jan 12 2012 00:24
Chilli Sauce wrote:
Wren wrote:

Is IASR part of the Red and Black Co-ordination?

I ask because, if so, the UK IWW is involved (my understanding is that they're not a full member and don't have voting rights, but attend their international events as observers and have membership transfer agreements with one or more of the RBC sections).

Just for Wren's info.

According to this interview: http://libcom.org/library/industrial-worker-interview-iasr they are applying for membership in the IWA.

Nate's picture
Nate
Jan 12 2012 07:58

Thank you all for this. I'm glad that IASR took steps on this to deal with the situation, it was pretty messed up when it happened. I 'm glad it's been handled.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jan 12 2012 08:01

Ahh, well I stand corrected.

akai
Jan 12 2012 15:09

OK comrades. This situation seems to have been handled in a good way by all involved. So now I'd like to raise a question for public reflection. How is it that in this case, people were able to react, condemn the posts and get some clarification and apology quite quickly, whereas in the case of the representative (surely self-appointed) of FAB, which published quite strange and disturbing things as well, including threats against my comrades, the reaction of some people on this forum was not to condemn, but rather to go quite out of the way to insist that no judgements should be made, that things should be investigated, etc. etc. I mean, quite a different reaction to the one here. And, unlike the comrade from IASR who responded quite quickly and in an appropriate way to clearly disassociate themselves with these remarks, we still have nothing of the sort from FAB.

I can only guess the reasons for the quite unequal treatment of similar problems. (In my opinion, the FAB one being much more serious, since it was a repeated one and over a much longer period of time).

Food for thought.

AS Info Romania's picture
AS Info Romania
Jan 12 2012 15:49

Warning against Initiativa Anarho-Sindicalista from Romania (IASR)

We think it is our duty to inform the movement about recent happenings in Romania.

On the 8th January 2012 on the Facebook-Page of the London Wobblies (https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/london.iww) the person responsible for the Facebook-Page of the IASR has posted sexist comments and comments which justify the rape of fascist women as an antifascist act. To counter-reactions he answered with further comments of the same kind.

Quote:
IASR: I'm a bad "sexist" for wanting some fascist scums to be raped LOL
IASR: The same can be said to the partisans, those damn "pro-rape" dickheads. But wait, most of you like WW2 partisans. Well i got a news for you, partisans done some good fascist raping.

This responsible member of the IASR showed a total lack of reason in his acting, not even when he got from another member of IASR internally addressed about his comments. His reaction was, that all these things would be just a joke and not upsetting in his opinion, and that the case should be sit out as he refuses “political correctness”. For this position he got the support from all members of the IASR, except the only one who demanded a consideration of what happened.

After information about the rape-justifying comments from IASR occurred on the international libertarian platform Libcom http://libcom.org/forums/general/disturbing-comments—08012012, the IASR resorted to a lie and declared that the member of IASR who has written the comments would not be a member anymore and would also be suddenly unreachable.

Quote Entry IASR No 18 on the Libcom Discussionpage:
“Of course, he was a member of IASR, but he seems to be out of reach to us. His telephone number is closed, and he doesn't answer to our emails. This individual was in charge of the FB account, until our international secretary resolved his personal problems and came back.”
IASR also claimed that the international secretary would have taken now over the administration of the Facebook account. The IASR would distance themselves from the reactionary statements and would lead an internal investigation.

This is a sheer lie set up to mislead the international movement. The person who has written the sexist comments on the London Wobblies Facebook-Page was none other than the international Secretary of the IASR himself, who poses himself now as the “Saviour” who would have taken back the groupaccount. Furthermore, this international secretary declared now that the person who posted these sexist comments must be a person “that seems... to have lost his entire human dignity”. (Comment No. 20)

Because of these happenings the member who demanded an examination, after several attempts to open a group discussion, has declared his withdrawal from IASR. He writes about that: "I believe that is unacceptable to lie a community that you pretend you are part of. I also believe you can't build anything good on that ground. I think it's useless and led by a blind ego to persist into a mistake that you can't assume. More than the comments that occurred on a social internet page these are the reasons for which I distanced myself from IASR, a project that I put my heart into"

We bring this information to the knowledge of all libertarian and anarcho-syndicalist groups and organisations so that they get aware of what it is the case with the IASR and so that the comrades can take the appropriate measures.

ASIR, 12th January 2012
Anarcho-Syndicalist Infoservice Romania

http://asinforomania.wordpress.com/

RedEd's picture
RedEd
Jan 12 2012 15:50

Akai, I'm not familiar with what your talking about. Do you have a link?
Also, I think there's a danger of derailing if we start discussing the event you mention in depth, so maybe an old thread about it (if one exists) could be reopened to discuss the issue in light of the good handling of this incident by the IASR.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jan 12 2012 16:13

Well now who knows what to think?

Does anyone outside of Romania know these two groups? Or individuals within them? Which one is trustworthy?