Former Sexual Predator Boss

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
libera's picture
libera
Apr 25 2013 20:15
Former Sexual Predator Boss

So I worked as a canvasser for a liberal political organization funded by major business unions. If you ever worked as a canvasser, you would understand the canvasser culture of late night after work partying and high worker turnover. Well If you happen to be a sexual predator patriarchal fuck of a boss, it turns out this is a great vocation for you because you can get away with several sexual conquests with a constant stream of cute young canvasser girls. In fact, last night, my former coworker confided in me that she had a sexual relationship with our former boss that resulted in an abortion. Although I knew she was not alone in this, as I knew of another coworker that also had an abortion due to her sexual relationship with the same boss. I could not believe that my coworker felt she was in the wrong for engaging in this kind of relationship with the boss. How could she? There is no consent in a sexual relationship with a boss. If she were to object to his advances, she could have been fired. I really need some advice here because I want to try to work with my former coworkers to get my former boss fired. Does anyone have any ideas? Help!

A Wotsit's picture
A Wotsit
Apr 25 2013 21:46

Blimey. This is a tough one. Don't take my advice unless it chimes with others but...

I think the main risk here is that the two affected people could be victimised, or sacked, if they don't have support from other coworkers or he manages to get his bosses (or worse still the rest of the workers) on his side.

If you're sure they're both willing to work at getting him fired, I think it would be a good idea for your former coworkers to approach some other people still working there and, if they feel comfortable, relating their story and sounding out if they had support- only approaching people they'd expect to keep it in confidence and be supportive when the time comes to try and get him sacked.

If they find loads of support it could be a worker-led 'we all refuse to work for this guy- he has to be sacked'- without revealing to upper-management who the directly affected people are but presenting a unified front 'he is a predator'. I'm sure he'd leave soon enough even without being sacked.

If they have less support despite seeking it (which would be shocking), or don't want to share what happened with their workmates (fair enough) then maybe best to approach a higher-up manager who they'd expect to be discreet, sympathetic and to take action.

I can see lots of potential outcomes. Personally, I think the best outcome would be for him to be publicly shamed and ousted directly by pressure from the workers themselves- but if that doesn't appeal to the workers affected (making it a bit public- totally understandable) or doesn't seem possible (other people not likely to show solidarity) then I imagine you could get him fired by going over his head, but this will depend on how upper-management react.

Alternatively, you could contact management as a former employee and pretend it was you that was affected, and say that it influenced your decision to leave, and say you know of others who are still working there have had similar problems caused by him but don't want to complain for fear of victimisation.

This is just me thinking what I'd do (I'd also seek advice here!), not based on any real experience so I hope others can give advice also... Do you have a solid SolFed or IWW local or another group who could support the workers involved?

libera's picture
libera
Apr 26 2013 01:11

Well the problem is we all got laid off after the election (the organization is basically a trade union funded political machine for the democratic party). None of us work there any longer, except of course our sexual predator boss. The other problem is I am not sure to what lengths my former coworker friend would go toward making this public because she cheated on her current partner with our boss and she does not want her story getting out. I am a member of the local Northeast Ohio IWW, however I am not sure what sort of covert thing our branch could do to support my former coworker in this case due to the relative amount of privacy she would like to maintain concerning the issue. I guess I am just really seething angry at my former boss for his gross manipulation of his power over all these young girls and I want him to face some repercussions for his actions. My friend had to go behind on her rent to pay for her own abortion on her unemployment check and go through the emotional pain and suffering of being sexually manipulated. I guess I just want her to feel like this shit is not her fault and for her to stop feeling shame over this.

A Wotsit's picture
A Wotsit
Apr 26 2013 01:43

Shit. It gets worse. Horrible. Yeah, I understand your friends remorse and feelings of shame about cheating (and understand why she'd want to keep it on the down low), we all make mistakes in personal relationships- been there myself- but what he's done is clearly on another scale.

Well, if no one stands to lose their job except him- maybe just contact his bosses outlining the case against him, and suggest he is stripped of the job or at min doesn't manage others/ is dismissed if he goes out drinking with his 'subordinates', if nothing else (I doubt the org would share the story and letter could be anon if your friend and the other person aren't willing to put their name to it at all). Perhaps he wouldn't get sacked without proof of his behaviour or strong workplace action, but maybe it would mean greater scrutiny on his behaviour from above and possibly mean he's less likely to pull this shit again.

I'm kind of tempted to advise rash action just to harass him into giving up his job. Outing him online (whatever place is most likely to attract attention from the people who have a stake in/ power over what he does). That would be the least extreme thing on my mind- protecting the anonymity of those affected by him- 'my friends went through this... because of [insert name] they have nothing to do with this campaign, and just wants to forget and move on, but we (as concerned parties not directly involved) felt we needed to prevent it happening again...etc' but that's probably not wise as it could get people in trouble if you get caught...and perhaps the number of people working there wasn't big enough to make it effectively anon? Strongly-worded (not criminal) letters though his mail... or dog shit. Probably not wise advice at all, but I'd be tempted myself.

I don't know if my advice is any good. Probably not tbh but I share your feeling that something should be done...

A Wotsit's picture
A Wotsit
Apr 26 2013 01:53

I think I might have just recommended some illegal things that would mean extra risk to the affected parties (even online outing is probs slander/libel or something). Got a bit carried away. Can someone make a more sensible suggestion?

libera's picture
libera
Apr 26 2013 03:21

Hey thanks for the feedback especially the dog shit suggestion. While somewhat risky, it might just be hilariously appropriate. Albeit I am not sure that it would really cost him any real consequences. I think that writing a general letter outlining the pervasive culture of "non-professional" management relationships with canvassers could potentially serve the end of maybe creating a more consent driven workplace. I do not think that a letter of this nature would be considered libelous because the intent is essentially to enforce a better sexual harassment policy and to alert senior management to the extremely poor performance of a particular boss in this regard. Hmm...I think I am going to suggest this to my friend

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Apr 26 2013 07:50

Hmm, the privacy element makes it tricky. A Wotsit's kinda covered it, but maybe:

- Get the IWW branch to write to him privately as an individual, and says they have numerous complaints of a sexual nature. As a union, they will be pursuing this as a workers rights/safety issue, but it might be better to quietly resign. I'd check the wording of blackmail laws before doing this just to be safe.

- If that doesn't work, find out where he lives and slap up posters with a photo and 'sexual predator'. Leaflet the neighbours with some non-personally identifying background details. You'll probably want to make them anonymous and check out libel law (truth/fair comment is a defence even in the UK, which has notoriously pro-rich libel laws). Won't necessarily lose him his job, but revenge can be worthwhile in its own right.

The only other things I can think of are definitely illegal, like fucking up his car or something. If you're planning on going there maybe keep the IWW out of it, just to give the cops no excuse to hassle them.

A Wotsit's picture
A Wotsit
Apr 26 2013 10:17

Yeah, cool, sounds like there are options- hope your friend does want to do something about it and something appropriately bad happens to him.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 26 2013 12:14

hmm I'm tempted to think that some of the suggestions above (vandalism etc) would be counter-productive.

I think the key thing is that whatever you do it has to be led by what your co-worker feels and what she feels is appropriate.