Hijacking TV news programmes

Submitted by Scallywag on June 23, 2016

I've often wondered why this is never done, I guess it must be really hard to do?

Wonder if it would be a good method of waging war against the press though and offer people an alternative view to the status quo, racist and anti-immigrant bullshit.

Obviously it wouldn't be any good if a bunch of weirdos did so, representing anarchism and appearing all militant and threatening, but say if someone like Noam Chomsky did so and called bullshit on everything the mainstream press where just saying then that would be pretty cool, as unlikely as it is.

Noah Fence

7 years 9 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Noah Fence on June 23, 2016

Mass Libcom application for audience seats on Question Time?

2 W

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by 2 W on June 23, 2016

I guess a group of peepz could dub over newscasts and talk about the real isses....not sure how this is done either though.

Someone told me that at Question Time they do 3 mock Question Time's before the real one and pick the juicier topics, wear the audience's anger out and then bring on the donuts and ask them tamer questions, not sure if it's true.

Reddebrek

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Reddebrek on June 23, 2016

It has been done before, here's the Yes Men posing as DOW spokespeople regarding the Bhopal disaster.

[youtube]LiWlvBro9eI[/youtube]

They've done stuff like this a few times, their documentary goes into how they pull off these stunts.

There were also satirical cartoons made in the 60's and 70's using cartoon characters from things like disney, some of which got broadcast unwittingly. You might want to check out the Situationist International and its practice of detournement

2 W

I guess a group of peepz could dub over newscasts and talk about the real isses....not sure how this is done either though.

Someone told me that at Question Time they do 3 mock Question Time's before the real one and pick the juicier topics, wear the audience's anger out and then bring on the donuts and ask them tamer questions, not sure if it's true.

Doubt it none of my mates who've been on it have said anything about that. They just said there was dry run of practice questions and a reminder to remain orderly and avoid personal abuse.

2 W

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by 2 W on June 23, 2016

I've been fed lies :(

Scallywag

7 years 9 months ago

I meant interrupting the broadcasting and temporarily taking control of the channel.

Fleur

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Fleur on June 23, 2016

Pretty sure the broadcaster would pull the plug on transmission almost instantly.

Noah Fence

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on June 23, 2016

Blimey, I was only joking. As Fleur says, there's not a hope in hell that you'd get that shit on the telly.

Cooked

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Cooked on June 23, 2016

Not so funny is how willing the media, national but even more so international, has been to pick up fake news manufactured by Swedish fascists. Exaggerating their capacity and the issues with immigration until people believe it.

That sort of thing dont work with our politics so nothing to copy there.

Reddebrek

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Reddebrek on June 23, 2016

Scallywag

I meant interrupting the broadcasting and temporarily taking control of the channel.

That's also been done before.

[youtube]tWdgAMYjYSs[/youtube]

But for anything other than a prank its pointless, unless you're physically taking over the channel's main offices, it'll just be taken down for maintenance.

Serge Forward

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on June 23, 2016

Those involved in the Sue Lawley/BBC news stunt would probably just be labelled as terrorists these days and get themselves shot.

Scallywag

7 years 9 months ago

I don't mean storming the studio, I literally mean stopping whatever is being broadcasted and switching it with something else. Like the way you see it in films.

I get that its a bit hair-brained, although maybe not, maybe It would actual be useful if it was done properly, but I was more interested in why it hasn't seem to have been done before. I am not seriously suggesting it anyway and I've no idea if it could be pulled off. I thought there would probably be hackers out there that would be able to pull it off though. Guess I've watched too much Mr Robot.

Also I think Reddebrek posted videos or pictures, but I can't see them.

jef costello

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on June 23, 2016

I thought of Reddebrek's example myself. I think the method is still possible, although not everywhere.
IFit is technically possible it's then up to those capable to decide if it is worth the risks. I'm not sure it would be an effective tactic.