Courage, mon brave!

potrokin
Nov 14 2016 15:32

Any news?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Nov 15 2016 16:06

So great to hear from Noah, via Jane.

And glad that despite the horrific situation you have been able to experience some joy through it as well. Sorry to hear about needing yet another operation but hopefully you are getting towards the end of it at least, all the best!

ultraviolet's picture
ultraviolet
Nov 16 2016 06:52

Webby / Noah Fence got his third operation on the 10th. His condition has improved. For a couple days he was also feeling great. Then the pain came back very intensely. The hospital staff aren't sure if this means something has gone wrong again. It could just be a result of all the operations he's been through.

They discussed maybe doing another scan to get a look at his liver, but haven't done that. Not exactly sure why. I guess it's pretty traumatic to move him to the scanner in his condition so they only do it if it seems very necessary? They have been doing blood tests to monitor his kidney and liver function. His kidney function is back at 100% and his liver function, though not yet perfect, is improved and doing pretty well. So I guess whether or not they do the scan will be decided in time.

Thanks for the love.

ultraviolet's picture
ultraviolet
Nov 16 2016 06:52

p.s. What does "be wrong, be strong" mean? I haven't heard that before, and google didn't help.

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Nov 16 2016 09:35

took it from a Nomeansno album, stand against the current!

best wishes to Noah!

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Nov 22 2016 17:10

So I'm still here. I'm not quite the person I was in a number of ways but then my physical and mental recovery have a long way to go.
I had quit Libcom but one of the many realisations I have had through this experience is the value of people and I feel that to have comrades in political outlook is such a precious thing to me. To be as judgemental as I have been around here is not going to help in any way at all and really, there are so few of us, we need to have each other's backs. That doesn't mean I don't have my disagreements but focus on areas of agreement should be given priority.
All that said, it would be boring if Libcom was completely snark free so I'll keep at least one barrel primed!!!
I'm going to be housebound for a minimum of three months, possibly six but I'm looking at going home pretty soon to get things underway. Sounds good right? Does it fuck! I'm terrified. I feel safe here and don't want to leave but I'm told that's quite common.
So, tough though it's been, I've received an incredible gift here - after speaking to my surgeon it's been made clear that without the transplant I had just a few months to live, maybe only a few weeks. My life has been saved and to not make the most of the life I now have and to try to be the best person I can be would make me an ungrateful wanker of the very highest order. I've been told I'm a wanker my entire adult life so I could accept that title but I can't accept ingratitude in myself. It just won't do. Hopefully that will be reflected in my future contributions.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Nov 22 2016 17:55

Yay! Welcome back Noah. I'm very happy to see you posting again and of course that your recovery is going well.

jesuithitsquad's picture
jesuithitsquad
Nov 22 2016 18:39

Great news! Glad to hear from you!

Sike's picture
Sike
Nov 22 2016 18:54

Awesome news! Great to hear from you,comrade!

ultraviolet's picture
ultraviolet
Nov 22 2016 20:20
Entdinglichung wrote:
took it from a Nomeansno album, stand against the current!

best wishes to Noah!

Ah, I get it now. I like it!

Hieronymous's picture
Hieronymous
Nov 22 2016 20:20

Welcome back, comrade!

ultraviolet's picture
ultraviolet
Nov 22 2016 20:26

I feel scared, too. There are some things that comfort me, though: Knowing that you'll be going back once a week, that Jane will be taking good care of you, and that being immersed in the happiness of home will improve your emotional/mental/psychological wellbeing which will do great things for your physical wellbeing, health, and recovery. That's not woo, that's science!

Here is an article I came across recently which is just one of many pieces of evidence proving this: http://telegraphsun.com/hospital-offers-therapy-dogs-sick-kids-reduces-recovery-times-30/

Quote:
Hospital offers therapy dogs for sick kids; reduces recovery times by 'up to 30%'

A happier environment does amazing things for you.

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Nov 22 2016 21:04

Rock on, Webby.

S. Artesian
Nov 22 2016 21:15

Good you're back Noah

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Nov 22 2016 21:42

Congrats Noah, welcome back!

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Nov 22 2016 22:11

So happy to hear that Noah, welcome back!

potrokin
Nov 22 2016 22:56

Hey! Great to hear you are back and recovering Noah!

Alf's picture
Alf
Nov 23 2016 00:52

Good news. Try to remain as difficult as ever.

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Nov 23 2016 07:29

Welcome back!

Dannny
Nov 23 2016 09:47

Great to hear from you Noah, all the best

arminius's picture
arminius
Nov 23 2016 15:23

Take it easy, Noah. Only read as much of anything (even Libcom) as you feel like and amuses (?) you. Sleep and drifting in and out I always found gentle fun in my various recoveries, fwiw. Glad to hear you're on the mend!

Battlescarred
Nov 24 2016 07:27

Excellent news.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Nov 24 2016 13:14

Aye, good to hear this. Take it easy pal.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Nov 24 2016 18:52

Life eh? A parculiar business and no mistake. An example of this happened today - my consultant came to see me and practically in the same breath announced that I was going home and that they had found cancer in my removed liver, 2 tumours! It was agreed that this had been a skin of the teeth situation and that without the liver coming when it did game over was in the post, guaranteed delivery!
I feel so grateful right now and this really helps with the pain. Now, was it serendipity in action, the universe conspiring to fix me up? Nah, woo woo wankery, that's what that is. Was it our Jesus Christ our Lord delivering a chosen one from evil? Don't be daft, religious claptrap. Nope, I am a rational man, this nonsense passes me by as does the idle wind which I respect not. No it was clearly the great communist overlord using its limitless power to save the most important communist there has ever been so that he can lead you to the commised land. Stand aside Bob, your time is gone!
Mmm, either that or I've been a right lucky bastard?!!!!!!

Spikymike
Nov 25 2016 12:46

Have hesitated to add my name to the long list here but do appreciate your humour in somewhat dire circumstances. Hope you recover to something approaching full strength asap.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Dec 23 2016 22:53

Hopefully this will be my final post on this thread.
I just wanted to say that my recovery is going incredibly well. I'm going for a walk most days, have reduced my pain meds massively, am putting on weight and feel increasingly well as the days pass. What the NHS has done for me is incredible - 9 weeks ago I had severe liver failure, liver cancer and a few months to live at most. I rarely left my bed and had no real quality of life, if I managed to leave the house for a few hours I would pay for it for days. Now I'm planning when I can drive, when I can get back to work and even starting to think about going on a walking holiday next autumn.
I've had a pretty tough time of it but it's feeling well worth it at the moment. I am a very happy, excited and grateful man right now. I hope I always feel this way.

S. Artesian
Dec 23 2016 22:57

Glad to hear that. Happy New Year

fingers malone's picture
fingers malone
Dec 24 2016 00:34

Great news