DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Misandry thread

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fleur
May 29 2015 16:09
Misandry thread

There you go, started it. Perhaps we could put our general, non-specific arguing abut feminism here, rather than in the thread about Bahar?

Fnordie's picture
Fnordie
May 29 2015 16:14

Well I, for one, think we should get together and kill all the men.

Fleur
May 29 2015 16:12

#NotAllMen

Tyrion's picture
Tyrion
May 29 2015 16:17

Pennoid's picture
Pennoid
May 29 2015 16:31

Toy Story 3 was a real heart-wrencher. I too Miss Andy.... sad

Fleur
May 29 2015 16:50

I know misandry is a joke but I did have a semi-serious reason for starting this thread, in that there's an arsehole over on the Bahar thread ranting crap about feminism. Maybe we could funnel this stuff to one space, every time someone gets into a headfuck over a hashtag or or some perceived oppression by the evil feminist cabal, instead of it being spread all over, myself being guilty of that, having taken the bait on a thread about Israel.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
May 29 2015 17:16

Fleur, the fact that you said misandry is a joke proves that it is real. Until you bloody feminazis start taking equality for all seriously you will never be our equals. Wise up laydeez.

Fleur
May 29 2015 20:06

Tut, tut Webby. You disappoint me. I have no choice now but to add you to my list of men who will be sent straight to the gulag for re-education when the feminists finally achieve Total World Domination. I also believe you're pretty handy with the woodworking skills, so you can help put up the shelves when you get there.

Mr. Jolly's picture
Mr. Jolly
May 29 2015 20:19

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
May 29 2015 20:20
Fleur wrote:
Tut, tut Webby. You disappoint me. I have no choice now but to add you to my list of men who will be sent straight to the gulag for re-education when the feminists finally achieve Total World Domination. I also believe you're pretty handy with the woodworking skills, so you can help put up the shelves when you get there.

I dare say you'll get me to park your car for you if the space is a bit tight as well? Fucking hell, a man's work is never done!

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Jun 1 2015 12:41

I haven't followed the Bahar thread, because it's looking like a train crash and a honey trap for MRA numpties. But why is this being setup in a jokey tone?

I think the reason why some people I know are sitting on the fence on attacks against Bahar - wrong though that is (few people pointed out they had problems with she can't be racist on fb and the hashtag nonsense) is because a lot of people have backgrounds as that of being of or from the white working class and genuinely feel there is something amiss with all of this, and the lurch of new strands of political theories around racism and sexism from universities (but not classism, eh?) there is a masking of contempt for ordinary working people. And this fuses in with this backdrop along with a general disliking of identity politics, suspicion of academia etc.

Let me go back a few steps. When I was getting politically active 15 years ago, the far-right were looking like they were in ascendency, the left for the most part hadn't broken with labour, and were totally irrelevant, anti fascist struggles had sort of run their terrain. The dominant topic of consideration was about the 'filling the vacuum', 'battle of ideas' etc and basically trying to offer the bulk of inhabitants of these isles with ideas leading them away from fascism. The rise of multiculturalism actually facilitated new problems. It locked up parts of BME activists in safe channels, and because it developed a discourse around different cultural groups, but didn't have such a delegation for whites, it offered a green light for the far right to talk about political exclusion of ordinary whites while the Labour Party moved further to the right under Blair.

If you haven't read any of the Fighting Talk magazine, I'm now considering it should be required reading and this is essentially it's narrative outlined above. It's a lot more organic and learned than encountering someone in an academic bubble talking about a political theory that's come out of a totally different political environment like the US backed up by the dominance that academic theories bring. It's final balance sheet was about how fucked we would be if we allowed the working class to embrace fascism and we let this go on unchecked. It's a relevant theme we need to carry on. I've seen the far right square off against a few crowds in recent time, and I don't like what I have seen or what those demographics are telling me. Political recruitment from campuses seems to underpin quite a lot of recent problems in building a movement in my opinion. These people have not struggled in the conventional economic and political sense, and they have far too many disconnected ideas.

Most of us as anarchists have to question the validity of our ideas and look at the dichotomy between the political scene and our mates, co-workers. It's difficult pinning down the influence of ideas, use of labels etc, although a few people use the intersectionalist label, good and bad, I have come across a few people in that crowd who would happily render anarchism irrelevant and cult like from what I can see.

I genuinely don't get the whole misandry thing. Im trying to be involved in a movement where I want people to be equals and some are using injokes dismissing my experiences because I belong to a particular demographic. Telling me it's a joke doesn't tell me anything because it's still telegraphing ideas. I thought we were beyond all this postmodernism.