The most readable libcom blogs?

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on March 24, 2017

No disrespect to the more theoretically blogs, but I have to say my favorite libcom blogs are the one that are in plain-English, simply written, and geared towards non-anarchos.

I think Mike Harman's most recent blog certainly fits the bill. As do ones like Steven's 10 reasons why communism will win, Ed's response to the Evening Standard and JK's take on the EDL.

I'm raising this because I think their could be some traction is a collection of libcom blogs. Maybe include the libcom intro guides and hopefully create the kind of book you give to someone who's becoming interested in our politics or moving leftward from liberalism - the kind of thing that's straightforward and focused and will draw people into practical activity and away from activism for activism's sake.

I don't know how feasible all that is, but I'd still be interested in what other blogs folks have read and thought "Hey, I wouldn't be embarrassed to send that link to my non-lefty friends."

Chilli Sauce

6 years 12 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on March 24, 2017

Found another one! http://libcom.org/blog/work-bollocks-06032017

adri

6 years 12 months ago

Submitted by adri on March 26, 2017

It's not a blog, but I still find it neat, the libertarian perspective in a nutshell, I guess, and a kind of jumping-off point for studying more about radical politics.

http://libcom.org/files/wcpw.pdf

I don't get why it has to be blogs, though, unless you're wanting to introduce them to something specific. Aren't all the libcom introductory texts enough?

Steven.

6 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on March 26, 2017

I guess he means blogs because he wants things related to current events

Khawaga

6 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on March 26, 2017

I usually like Soapy's. Typically quite informative and well researched, though I wish s/he's provide just a bit more commentary/opinion at times.

Sike

6 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Sike on March 27, 2017

I like Scott Nappalos blog and Nate's blogs. I especially like that their writing are usually based upon first hand experience and tend to deal with everyday issues facing left activists and workplace organizers. While the context of their writings is focused primarily on life in the US libcommer's everywhere should find much of value in their writings.

syndicalist

6 years 11 months ago

Submitted by syndicalist on March 27, 2017

Mine.

Spikymike

6 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Spikymike on March 28, 2017

Blogs directly relevant to today's issues would be those of 'AngryWorkereWorld' combining 'on the job' descriptions with some analytical background and maybe some of Phil's and Steven's blogs, but Joseph Kays' blogs always provide me with something to think more about even if I often disagree with aspects of their content, but that's just a sample that comes immediately to mind.

Chilli Sauce

6 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on April 8, 2017

zugzwang

I don't get why it has to be blogs, though, unless you're wanting to introduce them to something specific. Aren't all the libcom introductory texts enough?

Thanks for everyone who offered their thoughts - still be curious if anyone else has any blogs that they think fit the bill?

As for the above question, I agree the introductory guides are great, but it's also nice to have something more topical. Plus, it's sometimes nice to approach issues more practically - which is not dis the intros, which are incredibly accessible pieces of theory.

My wider idea would be to put out a collection of blogs as a book - the kind of thing that could be released to coincide with the London bookfair and would hopefully serve as a fundraiser for the site. Admins, you think that idea has any legs?

Rob Ray

6 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Rob Ray on April 8, 2017

Freedom could definitely do something along the lines of an anthology of the best of libcom blogs for next bookfair, though ideally it'd need a volunteer to pull together a list.

Chilli Sauce

6 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on April 9, 2017

Rob Ray, you're a legend!

Just to add, I also thought a selection of blogs could be good not only in terms of the politics, but as an example of what good, accessible political writing looks like - so there's something in there for the noobs as well as those who might be wanting to begin undertaking some writing of their own.

Noah Fence

6 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on April 9, 2017

There's so many really. Rob Ray always knocks it out the park, every single time. The Webb and Lustig one is possibly my favourite post of all time.

Noah Fence

6 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on April 10, 2017

You should count yourself in Chilli, the America series and the women's football thing spring to mind.