No fridge

Submitted by cactus9 on May 19, 2017

Has anyone successfully tried this and had a decent diet? I'm living in one room and I can't stand the noise plus I've been thinking about the energy aspect of it for a while. So far (about a week) I've been living on junk food and missing milk in my coffee but I think I'm going to get my shit together and start cooking and also try one of those zeer/ pot in pot fridges. I'd be interested to hear any thoughts or experiences. Alternatively, and as this does fit better there, does anyone have a good recommendation for a permaculture forum that's not too mad.

Thanks in advance. I know primitivism gets a bad rep, I'll let you know straight away when I get scurvy/ food poisoning ;-)

Chilli Sauce

6 years 10 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on May 19, 2017

FWIW, if you follow a vegetarian diet, I think you'd be safe to turn off your fridge overnight if the noise bothers you that much. Those things are designed to keep in the cold* and as long as you keep the door shut and avoid certain salmonella-prone food - cooked rice can be a big one - I imagine you'll be fine.

As for the energy aspect, you're already living in a single room, that means you're consuming a shit-ton less energy than than the average. If you buy one of those new super energy efficient fridges, you'll still be doing better than the vast majority of the population.

Know that wasn't exactly an answer...

*Another little tip: the more you have in your fridge, the less energy you use and the longer things stay cold. Loading up your fridge with gallon jugs of water is good way to save money and maintain a nice cold temperature. #lifehackswithchilli

Fleur

6 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Fleur on May 19, 2017

Ah, this reminds me of the time a few summers ago when thunderstorms & forest fires knocked the power out for a week. MAY THAT NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN, PLEASE GOD I'LL BE GOOD!!!

I put the milk in a cooler box btw, worked OK.

jef costello

6 years 10 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on May 20, 2017

Energy efficient fridges are great but there's also the question of the use of energy and resources to build new ones as well as disposal of the old ones.

The gallon jugs thing is a good idea, the other thing to do is just not open it very often, every time you do the cold air falls out and has to be replaced.

Like chili says if you're eating fresh fruit and veg then you don't need to refrigerate that stuff. That said I have a fridge and freezer full of stuff, I am one of those people who can't stand not to have food in the house.

Steven.

6 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on May 20, 2017

Drink black coffee. Milk is for babies.

Hieronymous

6 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Hieronymous on May 20, 2017

Steven.

Drink black coffee. Milk is for calves.

cactus9

6 years 10 months ago

Submitted by cactus9 on May 21, 2017

I bought some almond milk in a little experiment today. But then I did have lamb leftovers at lunch, so it's kind of swings and roundabouts round here.

The no fridge experiment continues. I'm quite enjoying it. Definitely gonna start cooking again, I think that'll be the big test.

adri

6 years 10 months ago

Submitted by adri on May 21, 2017

Hieronymous

Steven.

What do you eat with cereal? Or do you just avoid that altogether as well?

Serge Forward

6 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on May 21, 2017

Serial is for killers.

Hieronymous

6 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Hieronymous on May 22, 2017

zugzwang

Hieronymous

Steven.

What do you eat with cereal? Or do you just avoid that altogether as well?

I usually have muesli with almond milk.

At the turn of the millennium I rented an unfurnished flat in Neos Kosmos in Athens, Greece for a year. It had no fridge, so I had to adapt. Someone gave me a 2-burner electric counter-top stove. When I cooked, which was almost daily because I was usually broke, I also had to go to a nearby public market to buy fresh fruit and vegetables every day. There was a great bakery down the block, which I visited daily too. I had to plan precisely, because I couldn't leave leftovers around.

It worked out pretty well, saved me money and kept me healthy. By the way, when another libcommer from the U.K. visited, he bought me a stovetop espresso pot so I stopped drinking tea. Didn't have milk though.

Rommon

6 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Rommon on May 22, 2017

dried lentils, dried beans, rice, fruit, onions, leeks and so on, Whole grain bread, canned makrell ... stay healthy, don't eat junk Food.

One of the terrible Things about modern Capitalism is that Health has become a class privilege. I'm fortunate to live Close to a park With bars, so I can stay in shape doing pullups, dips, shoulder flies With a suspension trainer and sprints, I don't need a gym, but ironically poorer neighborhoods don't have those parks.

The same is true With Food, very often for the poor it is almost impossible to eat healthy.

I actually might start a post about this.

el psy congroo

6 years 10 months ago

Submitted by el psy congroo on May 22, 2017

Canned meat and jerky will go a long way. You could do a sort of Paleo diet

Still tho...Aside from the noise...We should be abolishing capitalism not fridges

cactus9

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by cactus9 on July 12, 2017

Still no fridge

Khawaga

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on July 12, 2017

I assume it's working out for you then. That's great.

jef costello

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on July 12, 2017

Forgot to mention, I hope you cleaned it when you unplugged it, fridges get rancid really fast, but if you're living in a rented place you probably know that already.

petey

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by petey on July 13, 2017

jef costello

Forgot to mention, I hope you cleaned it when you unplugged it, fridges get rancid really fast

this certainly is my experience.

cactus9

6 years 8 months ago

Submitted by cactus9 on July 13, 2017

jef costello

Forgot to mention, I hope you cleaned it when you unplugged it, fridges get rancid really fast, but if you're living in a rented place you probably know that already.

It was clean when I moved in and I've got it propped open.