novara, who are they? who are you?

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mike Harman
Mar 16 2017 12:12

Although fingers, that could just mean not that more Asian people voted Leave, but that more white people in areas with large Asian populations voted Leave.

I don't think that whiteness is the most useful category in terms of analysing Brexit - especially as the people who will be mostly affected are the mostly white EU citizens.

There's a couple of things here though:

- how many people voting explicitly to reduce immigration properly understood that this only meant migration of EU citizens. There was the Breaking Point poster, that voxpop after the vote with the bloke who said it was to "keep the muslims out, don't mind Europeans", speculation about Turkey joining, articles about hundreds of thousands of Roma coming to the UK. A lot of people link Schengen to movement of refugees between EU countries and similar.

- if you look at the context of "whiteness" this itself has been socially constructed in the same way any race has been, and its had a fluid meaning. You could look at the position of Irish, Spanish, Italian immigrants in the US over the past couple of centuries the extent to which they became "white" was to at least some extent a co-option to prevent unity between black americans and recent migrants to the US. (I have the "invention of the white race" book sitting waiting to be read, apparently it covers this process well).

- there's a lot of anecdotal evidence about Asian voters and Brexit indicating it was based on promises of more immigration from the commonwealth compared to the EU. Clearly that's not going to happen but it's a different motivation to just reducing immigration overall. I don't think this should be ignored, but nor does it nead a 'what about'.

If you read Sivanandan (https://libcom.org/library/catching-history-wing-ambalavaner-sivanandan) , he specifically talks about Labour's 1968 immigration act which shut down most immigration from non-white commonwealth countries, especially Kenyan asians who had British passports but became essentially stateless. This was almost at exactly the same time as the UK was preparing to join the EU/EEC. So EU membership in the first place, was in large part to replace black and asian immigrants from the commonwealth with white immigrants from Europe.

Until 2005, Labour had been reserving most of their anti-migrant rhetoric (mostly deployed in relation to failures in schools or benefit cuts cf. David Blunkett's 'swamped' comment) for asylum seekers. While there's still plenty of anti-refugee rhetoric, the Conservative 2005 election campaign made a conscious shift to "It's not racist to want controls on immigration" to turn sentiment against EU migrants.

It's also worth mentioning that the Remain campaign was doing all of this as well. They also wanted more restrictions on migration within the EU, they just didn't want to risk losing free market membership to get it.

So if you accept a definition of "whiteness" as a social category, based as much on culture/legal status as skin colour, then you also start to see people on the left of Labour like Paul Mason start to talk about 'cultural anxiety' about immigration from the EU (Polish shops, polish aisles in supermarkets etc.), not just 'legitimate economic concerns'. For me it feels like this has shifted relatively fast since about 2013/14.

On Novara generally, I get really confused by their politics, but I think it's because the main people involved have quite clear disagreements politically, along with as others have said on here the format being very 'topical' most of the time, which tends towards getting caught up in the news cycle and electoral politics. It's also as much a question of what their own politics are compared to who they think it's OK to have on the show (and how much they get challenged once on).

Also while the actual legalities of Brexit will mostly affect EU citizens and they'll be mostly white, I don't think it holds that this is the only target of it. Whatever happens at this point, the legal status of people from other EU countries in the UK is going to be significantly curtailed, and the government has been rolling out enforcement measures for some time now (upfront NHS charges, nurses expected to check passports before giving care, 'right to rent' checks for housing, the beginnings of attacks on universal education via nationality data in the schools census).

This is going to affect any immigrant to the UK regardless of where they're from, and additionally we're already seeing British citizens getting caught up in it because they "don't look British". A deaf woman nearly got refused treatment at hospital this month because nurses didn't believe she was English (native american parents but born in the UK).

All of this to me is going to end up as or more of an impact than the specific legal status of EU migrants in the next 2-3 years, even if the latter is the only thing that'll be concretely linked to 'Brexit' as such.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 16 2017 12:37

Good post Mike, I agree with a lot of what you say.

I also agree about "whiteness" in the US context. As you say, historically Italians and Jews, for example weren't seen as "white", but subsequently they now are (with the exception of in prison, where many Jews have become not "white" again". That same process is now happening to some extent to Latinxs.

However the UK has a very different history, and "whiteness" doesn't exist in the same way - in Northern Ireland for example.

And while a lot (or even most) of the anti-immigrant sentiment in the Brexit vote was just simple racism, I don't think it's deniable that there was a significant current of it, particularly in some areas like amongst self-employed construction workers - where animosity to low paid Eastern European white workers wasn't a significant factor

wojtek
Jul 13 2017 13:34

I'm a dick.

Craftwork's picture
Craftwork
Jul 13 2017 14:49

Bastani now says he supports a progressive migration policy:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 14 2017 09:36

Any clue as to what a "progressive migration policy" looks like? We can't ask him as he has blocked the libcom Twitter account, as well it seems as the accounts of just about anyone who has ever asked him a difficult question

potrokin
Jul 29 2017 11:25

I have heard that there is a boycott of Novara going on. Does anyone know the reason for this? I don't know the details.

radicalgraffiti
Jul 29 2017 15:21
potrokin wrote:
I have heard that there is a boycott of Novara going on. Does anyone know the reason for this? I don't know the details.

the boycott was started after Aaron Bastani appeared on George Galloway's radio show. People objected to this because George Galloway has described rape as "bad sexual etiquette", and denied that it was rape.

that wouldn't be enough for people to call for a boycott normally but novara has several times hosted content by or done interviews with people where are rape apologists, or abusers. so when bastani said "sorry i didn't know" noone really thought he was taking things seriously or that novara wasn't going to carry on as before in this regard, especially since he has previously mentioned that galloway was no platformed *via
so #BoycottNovara was started by some who is a survive and is sick of the left not dealing wit this shit
about a week after this Bastani made this apology statement and then Novara relised a complaints procedure and a code of conduct
and that would most likely have been the end of it except novara people posted pictures of Bastani and James Butler wearing tshirts with "problematic" stickers on them, which came across as mocking survives, and Bastani made a facebook post complaining about how unfairly a group of saboteurs called the Bloomsbury 10, or B10, had been treated. B10 sabotaged a accountability process against a serial abuser, some infor about that in this thread by the person who initiated the process

so noone is calling for a boycot right now, but its hard to belive that novara actually wants to deal with this shit.

potrokin
Jul 29 2017 23:03
radicalgraffiti wrote:
potrokin wrote:

the boycott was started after Aaron Bastani appeared on George Galloway's radio show. People objected to this because George Galloway has described rape as "bad sexual etiquette", and denied that it was rape.

that wouldn't be enough for people to call for a boycott normally but novara has several times hosted content by or done interviews with people where are rape apologists, or abusers. so when bastani said "sorry i didn't know" noone really thought he was taking things seriously or that novara wasn't going to carry on as before in this regard, especially since he has previously mentioned that galloway was no platformed *via
so #BoycottNovara was started by some who is a survive and is sick of the left not dealing wit this shit
about a week after this Bastani made this apology statement and then Novara relised a complaints procedure and a code of conduct
and that would most likely have been the end of it except novara people posted pictures of Bastani and James Butler wearing tshirts with "problematic" stickers on them, which came across as mocking survives, and Bastani made a facebook post complaining about how unfairly a group of saboteurs called the Bloomsbury 10, or B10, had been treated. B10 sabotaged a accountability process against a serial abuser, some infor about that in this thread by the person who initiated the process

so noone is calling for a boycot right now, but its hard to belive that novara actually wants to deal with this shit.

Well that is certainly enough of an explanation. Truly disgusting.

potrokin
Jul 29 2017 23:11

I really don't know what else to say- thats just apalling.