Primitive farming techniques vs. industrial farming techniques

Submitted by James MacBryde on January 11, 2016

By primitive farming techniques I am referring to the techniques used historically, in the area marked C2, A2 and B2 in the map shown but not recorded historically outside of this area.

Industrial farm production can be traced back to the use of the plough, an implement that was only introduced to the area referred to above in the modern era, and is epitomised by the use of beasts of burden.

This is just a forum for discussion.

James MacBryde

8 years 3 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by James MacBryde on January 11, 2016

Primitive farming exists concurrently with industrial farming for many millenia.

boozemonarchy

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by boozemonarchy on January 11, 2016

I've got a lot to say about this James - I study the archaeology of horticultural groups of the Great Plains region of North America. I get excited about this stuff.

Do you have a specific question - or would you just like to discuss?

Also, horticulture is a good term to use for less intensive farming methods. There is nothing particularly primitive about it and the distinction between it and industrial farming is not that obvious. That said, I personally think the construction of major irrigation installations is a good indicator of a more intense agricultural practice (more so than the plow). If that is the case, your 'industrial farming' did take place in prehistory outside of the regions on your map. American Southwest maize agriculture for example.

James MacBryde

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by James MacBryde on January 12, 2016

By'primitive' I mean primitive in the sense of time and am not implying that primitive farming/horticulture/agriculture is any less sophisticated.

The archaeology of horticulture sounds like a subject I would like to learn more about and one that I think links in with what Jack Harlan, the man who formallised the research [in the map shown above taken from his book, 'The Living Fields: Our Agricultural Heritage', 1996] into seed origins following on from his father's work and of Vasilov in the Soviet Union (who was exterminated by Stalin for his troubles). In terms of archaeology of horticulture my knowledge is scant. The only things that come to mind are the archeological remains found in Congo which point to an extremely sophisticated and highly productive source of food; and the terra preta -- very dark, fertile man-made (anthropogenic) soil found in the Amazon Basin -- that points to a very ancient and long running horticulture.

jura

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by jura on January 12, 2016

James MacBryde

of Vasilov in the Soviet Union (who was exterminated by Stalin for his troubles)

You mean Vavilov. He died in prison of hunger (having previously created what was at that time the largest seed bank).

James MacBryde

8 years 3 months ago

The very same, jura. Imprisoned by personal bequest of Stalin and who subsequently died there from beatings and starvation.

James MacBryde

8 years 3 months ago

...the construction of major irrigation installations is a good indicator of a more intense agricultural practice (more so than the plow)...

I agree: major irrigation installations, predated the use of the plough. The use of major irrigation installations is the defining feature of the so-called 'civilisations' marked above as B1, A1 and C1