Some thoughts on privilege.

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Somebody
Offline
Joined: 18-01-13
Jan 18 2013 02:57
Some thoughts on privilege.

This was written in 2013.

I've been hearing the word privilege a lot. Privilege exists and some people have more privilege than other people. Some people are oppressed more often than other people.

Being an anarchist, feminist, vegan, leftist, communist, socialist, activist, protester, organizer, citizen journalist, blogger, liberal, democrat, libertarian or radical is not a sign of privilege.

Being part of radical movements like the anarchist movement is not a sign of privilege.

Being part of a subculture like the punk, vegan, tattoo, queer, gay, lesbian, trans or hipster subcultures is not a sign of privilege.

Having tattoos, piercings, dyed hair or patches is not a sign of privilege.

Reading, learning and studying radical ideologies like anarchism is not a sign of privilege.

Talking about oppression is not a sign of privilege.

Trying to stop oppression is not a sign of privilege.

Being able to read, write, see, hear, walk, talk and protest is not a sign of privilege because most people can do those things.

Being a writer, author, intellectual, speaker, musician or artist is not a sign of privilege.

Writing books, zines, papers or articles is not a sign of privilege because most people have the ability to write a book.

Knowing the definition of words that most people do not know the definition of is not a sign of privilege.

Talking and writing in an academic style not a sign of privilege.

Having a college degree is not a sign of privilege.

Being in college is not a sign of privilege.

Having a lot of knowledge about politics, philosophy, history, art, music, literature, science, math, technology, computers or the internet is not a sign of privilege because most people have the ability to learn about that stuff.

Having a website or blog is not a sign of privilege because most people have the ability and the money to create and maintain a simple, inexpensive website or blog.

Protesting is not a sign of privilege.

Planning, organizing or attending protests is not a sign of privilege.

Doing illegal direct action is not a sign of privilege.

Marching in the black bloc is not a sign of privilege.

Going to an out of town protest is not a sign of privilege.

Traveling is not a sign of privilege.

If someone goes to a protest and does something violent it is a sign that they are oppressed, it is a sign that they are angry about being oppressed.

Living in the United States is not a sign of privilege.

Being born in the United States is not a sign of privilege.

To have a long life expectancy is a privilege.`Life expectancy in 50 countries is higher than life expectancy in the United States. People in Europe, Australia, Canada, Japan and many other countries have a longer life expectancy than Americans have.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2240855/How-does-nation-rank-world-map-life-expectancy.html

Some people have divided the world into oppressed nations and nations that are not oppressed. Some people have divided the world into oppressed people and people that are not oppressed. The United States is an oppressed nation compared to the 50 countries with a higher life expectancy. Americans are an oppressed people compared to the people living in the 50 countries with a higher life expectancy. The global economy serves those 50 countries more than it serves the United States. Powerful organizations like the UN, IMF, WTO, World Bank, NATO, EU, G8, G20, international banks and multinational corporations serve those 50 countries more than they serve the United States. The US military which secures global access to oil by invading oil-rich countries like Iraq serves those 50 countries more than it serves the United States by providing those 50 countries with oil. The US military has been securing global access to oil and other natural resources for those 50 countries since 1945.

Since the 1960s life expectancy in the United States has fallen behind life expectancy in other countries. This idea that Americans have more privilege than everyone else in the world is false and outdated. Americans had more privilege than most of the world between 1945 and 1970 but times have changed. Americans have fallen behind Europe, Australia, Canada, Japan and many other countries in terms of privilege.

The United States has one of the highest incarceration rates in the world. North Korea and Cuba might be the only countries that have a higher incarceration rate than the United States.
http://www.prisonstudies.org/info/worldbrief/wpb_stats.php?area=all&category=wb_poprate
http://www.politifact.com/georgia/statements/2012/may/07/hank-johnson/us-locks-more-people-any-nation-congressman-says/

In the United States when people protest they often get attacked, beaten, tear gassed and arrested by the police. Some protesters get permanent injuries, life threatening injuries or long prison sentences.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/nov/25/shocking-truth-about-crackdown-occupy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8JeL-T6RWk
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/28/us-usa-wallstreet-protests-oakland-idUSTRE79Q01F20111028
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-quigley/two-thousand-six-hundred-_1_b_866029.html
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2004-09-24/news/0409231477_1_police-officers-ftaa-lawsuit

Many radicals who were middle class, white, college educated, male, female or heterosexual have permanently lost their privilege after entering radical movements because the US government cracks down hard on radicals. The US government has a long history of cracking down on anarchists, communists, libertarians and other radicals. The government puts many radicals in jail. The government spies on radicals for the rest of their lives. A person who enters radical movements like the anarchist movement permanently loses their privilege after entering the movement because of government repression. Radicals cannot get a lot of jobs because many employers won't hire radicals. Corporations like Walmart, Boeing, Monsanto and Bank of America won't hire radicals because radicals often protest those corporations. Governments won't hire radicals even for low paying office jobs.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Offline
Joined: 5-10-07
Jan 18 2013 09:31

Are you low-tech?

Tim Finnegan's picture
Tim Finnegan
Offline
Joined: 16-05-12
Jan 18 2013 11:19
Somebody wrote:
Corporations like Walmart, Boeing, Monsanto and Bank of America won't hire radicals because radicals often protest those corporations.

I work for Walmart.

Webby
Offline
Joined: 18-12-12
Jan 18 2013 12:51
Quote:
To have a long life expectancy is a privilege

I disagree. A long life expectancy is a right, not a privelege. Obviously not everyone will live a long life but if the general life expectancy amongst a population is low something is wrong. If it is high then it is line with what we should expect. A privelege to simply live a decent length life? I think not.

Tian's picture
Tian
Offline
Joined: 3-08-12
Jan 18 2013 13:38

I disagree on most of these points.

Wiggleston's picture
Wiggleston
Offline
Joined: 8-10-12
Jan 18 2013 15:30
Chilli Sauce wrote:
Are you low-tech?

You weren't wrong mate
http://anarchistnews.org/content/some-thoughts-privilege-0

Somebody
Offline
Joined: 18-01-13
Jan 18 2013 16:25

Stop acting creepy.

Webby
Offline
Joined: 18-12-12
Jan 18 2013 16:31

Just checked out Low Tech - wow!

As suggested I thought I would attend a Low Tech event but unfortunately;

Quote:
Stop traveling out of town. Stop traveling more than 20 miles from your home.

If you want to take a vacation then go somewhere that is less than 20 miles from your home.

Don't travel to other countries.

Shame.

batswill
Offline
Joined: 8-07-11
Jan 18 2013 16:56

A high life expectancy IS a privilege. There are gradations, starting at starving children in a refugee camp = zero privilege.
Flying to Thailand to have a dental rebuild= privilege
However, if you have lived in a ghetto your whole life and then win tattslotto, the idea or concept of privilege is negated by the values you have, by your character. Everything is not black/white. If you are a compassionate person you would redistribute the things that would otherwise make you privileged, and if you have a dental fix, then fix an under-privileged person. Life is a ledger, keep relationships balanced, then privilege wont exist.

batswill
Offline
Joined: 8-07-11
Jan 18 2013 17:02

PS. I'm coming from the hunter-gatherer experiences, they mostly die at 50.

batswill
Offline
Joined: 8-07-11
Jan 18 2013 17:12
Tim Finnegan wrote:
Somebody wrote:
Corporations like Walmart, Boeing, Monsanto and Bank of America won't hire radicals because radicals often protest those corporations.

I work for Walmart.

Hey, I had a friend who worked for the CIA, that didn't make him an instant asshole!
That's what pisses me off about bachelor anarchists and fucking bachelor hippies, they don't have children to feed, they live in their little fucking coccoon of selfish righteous do-goodism (hmm, I made a new word), and pontificate to those that are just fulfilling a dire biological neccessity in making the little adorable cuddly baby happy and not crying all night!!

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Offline
Joined: 28-01-11
Jan 18 2013 17:19
batswill wrote:
Hey, I had a friend who worked for the CIA, that didn't make him an instant asshole!
That's what pisses me off about bachelor anarchists and fucking bachelor hippies, they don't have children to feed, they live in their little fucking coccoon of selfish righteous do-goodism (hmm, I made a new word), and pontificate to those that are just fulfilling a dire biological neccessity in making the little adorable cuddly baby happy and not crying all night!!

I want to agree with your bit on bachelor anarchists. But the CIA? Really the only job about to feed the kids?

Mr. Jolly's picture
Mr. Jolly
Online
Joined: 28-04-11
Jan 18 2013 17:55

Is it supposed to be spoken in a 'rap' style?

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Offline
Joined: 5-10-07
Jan 18 2013 19:52
Wiggleston wrote:
Chilli Sauce wrote:
Are you low-tech?

You weren't wrong mate
http://anarchistnews.org/content/some-thoughts-privilege-0

Fucking nailed it! You know how I knew?

Quote:
Don't say things that can be interpreted more than one way. Only say things that can be interpreted one way.

Be specific. Don't be vague. Have a clear, simple message.

Don't use words that begin with anti or pro because they sound vague.

Be serious. Don't use metaphors, jokes, riddles, cliches, figures of speech, rhymes, poems, catch phrases, profanity or slogans.

Don't use abbreviations because many people don't know what abbreviations stand for. Say the United States instead of saying the US.

It's like it's written by a computer program designed to write essays about complex subjects for 2 year olds. In other words, it's patronizing as fuck.

Also, this:

Quote:
Regifting is the act of taking a gift that has been received and giving it to somebody else, sometimes in the guise of a new gift. Do regifting instead of buying a present for someone on their birthday or for holidays.

And this:

Quote:
If you live in a place where most people don't like Americans then don't tell them that Low Tech was created in the United States. If your talking to someone who doesn't like Americans then don't tell them that Low Tech was created in the United States. Remove the line in this writing that says Low Tech was created in the United States. Remove this paragraph also.

God, that manifesto is fucking gold mine.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Offline
Joined: 5-10-07
Jan 18 2013 19:53
Webby wrote:
Just checked out Low Tech - wow!

As suggested I thought I would attend a Low Tech event but unfortunately;

Quote:
Stop traveling out of town. Stop traveling more than 20 miles from your home.

If you want to take a vacation then go somewhere that is less than 20 miles from your home.

Don't travel to other countries.

Shame.

laugh out loud laugh out loud laugh out loud

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jan 19 2013 11:37
Mr. Jolly wrote:
Is it supposed to be spoken in a 'rap' style?

I read it as Gil Scott Heron style.

BTW, is the original poster low-tech? If so he has been banned twice so needs to be re-banned. I am binning this anyway as it's stupid - and I say that as someone who is not a fan of terminology of privilege

Wiggleston's picture
Wiggleston
Offline
Joined: 8-10-12
Jan 19 2013 14:52

Yeah it's Low-Tech. This got reposted on anarchistnews and I think I saw it on Infoshop under "Low-Tech" at almost exactly the same time. Well, it's either the same guy or one of their army of FIVE other "likers" on their facebook page

xslavearcx's picture
xslavearcx
Offline
Joined: 21-10-10
Jan 19 2013 18:57
Chilli Sauce wrote:

It's like it's written by a computer program designed to write essays about complex subjects for 2 year olds. In other words, it's patronizing as fuck.
.

Well..... as long as its an 8-bit comp

Somebody
Offline
Joined: 18-01-13
Jan 20 2013 03:58

commenters on libcom suck

Mr. Jolly's picture
Mr. Jolly
Online
Joined: 28-04-11
Jan 20 2013 05:28

I think you've peaked to early comrade.