TVs you like - let's share em!

Submitted by boomerang on May 14, 2015

So what tv shows do you like?

On another thread I talked about not having enough time to read things that were recommended to me due to an already big reading list, and now here I am trying to find tv shows to watch. Well, I guess it's not just time but mental energy. I can only take so much reading especially about serious things.

A discussion about this was already started on another thread. Here's what we got so far:

boomerang

What are some good sitcoms / comedy shows to waste time on? I've been looking for some. Decent comedies are hard to find.
Doesn't matter if it's off the air

Webby

Try these;

Nathan Barley http://youtu.be/06AS8SiY3rw

The Mighty Boosh(I prefer series 3)

The Flight of The Concords.

boomerang

Ah The Flight of the Concords, good stuff! I'll check out the others.

One I've been watching lately and like a lot is "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia." I just started season 5.

Now I have to warn this can get offensive. Sometimes it crosses the line for me and I've even taken a couple breaks from the show after being upset by something, telling myself I'm done with it, but I always find my way back to it because usually it's within my limits of what I can put up with and it's one of the all time best shows for making me laugh.

Auld-bod

This should be a new thread, however I'll go in second bat with Kathy Burke & Tom Farrell’s ‘Gimme Gimme Gimme’. From the BBC, cir.1999, I thought I’d loath it, but somehow was won over. The couple who live downstairs are a bit weird.

boomerang

8 years 10 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by boomerang on May 14, 2015

p.s. i asked for comedies (cuz they're usually under half hour so fit better as a short break) but feel free to post any type of tv shows here. on air or off

if you want you can also put a quick blurb about the show or why you like it so we can get a sense if we might too

wojtek

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on May 14, 2015

eastbound and down
metalocalypse

Noah Fence

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on May 14, 2015

Top Boy. Compelling Drama set on an East London housing estate. Great characters, fantastic use of language. An absolute winner!

It's on Netflix at the moment.

Serge Forward

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on May 14, 2015

Days of Hope.

Top notch telly, the likes of which would probably never get made today. Written by Jim Allen, directed by Ken Loach. Jim Allen later wrote a book version. It was excellent as well.

commieprincess

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by commieprincess on May 14, 2015

Bit old school but if you're not from the UK you may have missed Spaced, which is just all round gentle wonderful comedy and doesn't make you feel anxious and uncomfortable like most good UK comedy.

However, if you do want to feel anxious and uncomfortable, I second Webby's suggestion of Nathan Barley.

Serge Forward

8 years 10 months ago

Agreed, Spaced is ace. Though I wouldn't really call it old school. Seems recent to me.

Another favourite of mine from around the same time was Early Doors, and as with Spaced, the comedy was gentle. Dunno if it travels well mind, as it's dead Mancunian. For similar reasons, I don't know if Phoenix Nights travels well either but I reckon it's bob on.

For those who don't know Early Doors, here's a very short clip about Tommy's new job:
[youtube]RtWuV5b-iyg[/youtube]

Entdinglichung

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Entdinglichung on May 14, 2015

The Thick of It, Sledge Hammer!, MacGyver, ...

radicalgraffiti

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by radicalgraffiti on May 14, 2015

Black Books

Mr. Jolly

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Mr. Jolly on May 14, 2015

Curb your enthusiasm?

Serge Forward

8 years 10 months ago

radicalgraffiti

Black Books

You know what, I never took to that programme. Though I loved Father Ted and could watch it again and again and I really liked the IT Crowd, both from the same stable, I found Black Books pretty much unwatchable. That said, the Tom Waits stylee theme tune is great.

Khawaga

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on May 14, 2015

Veep, Inside Amy Schumer, iZombie, Daredevil, Person of Interest.

A Wotsit

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by A Wotsit on May 14, 2015

I watch a lot of comedy and see some of my faves have been mentioned already.

I'm gonna second: nathan barley, mighty boosh, spaced (big fan of Mark Heap in particular), the thick of it, black books, gimme gimme gimme, flight of the conchords.

I'll add:

Nighty Night and Hunderby (both dark and at times disturbing comedies from Julia Davis)
Green Wing (weird hospital comedy with big cast- I think Mark Heap in particular is so good in this as are Patricia Gomez and Pippa Haywood),
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace (weird spoof of hospital-based supernatural show),
Man to Man with Dean Learner (spoof interview show),
IT Crowd (sitcom about IT workers),
Phone Shop (sitcom about working in a phone shop),
Peep Show (sitcom centred on two flatmates- lots of awkward and cringe moments),
Trailer Park Boys (spoof reality show set in a canadian trailer park),
Ideal (sitcom about a drug dealer in manchester),
House of Fools (Reeves and Mortimer silliness,
Toast of London (Matt Berry plays an actor struggling to get good parts/ reviews)
Benidorm (not sure why I like this but I do- sitcom about brits on holiday in spain)

There are loads of good sketch shows too- I've rewatched a few episodes of Smack the Pony recently which is worth a watch.

There's a new US comedy on 'now tv' or sky called Broad City which I am starting to get into.

Best non-comedy programme I've seen in a while was the BBC's new Sharks documentary.

petey

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by petey on May 14, 2015

i like letterman.

Noah Fence

8 years 10 months ago

Isn't it about time some po faced commie robot posted something along the lines of ' what's this inane nonsense doing on a libertarian communist website. Really, it's no wonder the revolutionary scene is in such a pitiful state. It's about time that...' drones on long into the night while every one else laughs their ass off watching great comedy on the telly.

Soapy

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Soapy on May 14, 2015

What is this inane nonsense doing on a libertarian communist website? Really, it's no wonder the revolutionary scene is in such a pitiful state. It's about time that

Edit: just saw Webby's post

Steven.

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on May 14, 2015

A Wotsit, you have some good taste, but some terrible taste! Gimme gimme gimme is so shit…

Anyway, these ones people have recommended are good:
nathan barley, mighty boosh (the first two seasons, the third one is shit), spaced, the thick of it, Veep, toast of London, IT crowd, Peep show, man-to-man with Dean learner, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace , flight of the conchords, eastbound and down

But also worth a mention are:
The inbetweeners, this is probably the most laugh out loud comedy of recent years (plus the second film, but the first one is a bit rubbish)
Arrested Development - probably the best comedy of the past decade
Community - maybe the second best comedy of the past decade
the last man on earth - a new show which is very funny, about basically what it sounds like
Cuckoo - Andy Samberg is an annoying hippie who comes to England
Brooklyn nine-nine - Andy Samberg is an amusing cop
modern family - good traditional sitcom
30 Rock - see above
Girls - indie comedy, not super funny but still pretty good
archer - funny animated comedy about an incompetent spy agency
the trip/the trip to Italy - Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon go to restaurants, eat and do silly voices
workaholics - Bro slacker comedy show
the increasingly poor decisions of Todd Margaret - David Cross comes to England for a job, also with Jon Hamm as himself
Clark and Michael - online comedy with Michael Cera and his mate trying to make it in Hollywood
fresh meat - student comedy
bored to death - great subtle comedy about a bored writer who decides to become a private detective

Anyway that's quite enough. I'm thinking I watch too much TV…

Noah Fence

8 years 10 months ago

, mighty boosh (the first two seasons, the third one is shit)

Come off it old son, next you'll be saying Adam and the Ants were better before they did Prince Charming or that Clash were better before they split up! Too absurd!

A Wotsit

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by A Wotsit on May 14, 2015

Steven.

A Wotsit, you have some good taste, but some terrible taste! Gimme gimme gimme is so shit…

I just watched episode 1 for the first time since I was a teenager. Yeah, the script is pretty awful, I used to like Cathy Burke's stuff, but don't think I'll bother watching another episode of that.

I also enjoyed inbetweeners, fresh meat, arrested development, brooklyn nine-nine and archer so might try a few others off your list.

More shows I liked from the 90s/ early 00s are popping into my head now but won't keep listing.

ocelot

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by ocelot on May 14, 2015

Old. And you have to be able to parse Glaswegian,

Rab C Nesbitt

ocelot

8 years 10 months ago

Has it's funny moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qfIw1p22F0

ocelot

8 years 10 months ago

Also. No Shameless?

bastarx

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by bastarx on May 14, 2015

Silicon Valley is a pretty good pisstake of the delusional business culture of Silicon Valley. Created by Mike Judge who made the excellent film Office Space (and the less excellent Idiocracy).

Standfield

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Standfield on May 15, 2015

commieprincess

Bit old school but if you're not from the UK you may have missed Spaced, .

Yes. Loved Spaced. First time I heard the word "fattyboombatty" and have been using it ever since. The League of Gentlemen is another good comedy of the same era, albeit a bit more... odd.

I think the last piece of truly amazing telly I saw was the first episode of Black Mirror. It stayed with me for days. Found it online too:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22d9ig_black-mirror-s1-ep-1_shortfilms

I'm going to go proper old-school now and recommend Hancock's Half Hour. Brilliantly satirical and farcical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejHKA2HI4TY

I was recommended Utopia, and found that pretty good too.

Spassmaschine

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Spassmaschine on May 15, 2015

Jam
[youtube]Qpn7C6r-WEM[/youtube]

boomerang

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by boomerang on May 15, 2015

I think my favorite shows are Game of Thrones and Six Feet Under.

Game of Thrones is the second highest rated show on IMDb. I assume everyone already knows enough about Game of Thrones that I don't need to say anything. Or if you have questions, just ask libcom's very own Tyrion.

Six Feet Under ran from 2001-2005. I like it because it's about people and their pain, their struggles in life for meaning, happiness, etc. Even with its bleak focus it still has a sense of humor, though it's not a comedy. It's a "slice of life" kind of show, nothing extraordinary, it's the drama of the ordinary, and the show does a really good job of showing how interesting that can be. The characters are compelling and it's really well done.

Both shows have more death than perhaps any other show on tv, but that's just a coincidence!

boomerang

8 years 10 months ago

A Wotsit

Steven.

I just watched episode 1 for the first time since I was a teenager. Yeah, the script is pretty awful, I used to like Cathy Burke's stuff, but don't think I'll bother watching another episode of that.

I don't know this show, but you probably shouldn't be embarassed. I think we all have our "guilty pleasure" shows we might not want to admit here!

boomerang

8 years 10 months ago

Webby

Steven.

mighty boosh (the first two seasons, the third one is shit),

Eels up inside ya! Finding electrics where they can! Eels up inside ya! Finding electrics where they can!

Eels! Eels! Eels! Eels! ...

[youtube]0AckvdGbk4w[/youtube]

ajjohnstone

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by ajjohnstone on May 15, 2015

Nobody mention the Smoking Room

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=smoking+room

Auld-bod

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Auld-bod on May 15, 2015

Gimme Gimme Gimme

Case for the defense: Quotes
Tom: Oh, what do you know about love?
Linda La Hughes: I know it's in the dictionary between labia and lust.

Linda La Hughes: Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? What a rip off! Phone a friend? What if you haven't got any friends?

Case against: It’s pure trash.

What’s not to like? Case dismissed.

Entdinglichung

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Entdinglichung on May 15, 2015

The A-Team

Serge Forward

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on May 15, 2015

Queer as folk

Noah Fence

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on May 15, 2015

boomerang

Webby

Steven.

mighty boosh (the first two seasons, the third one is shit),

Eels up inside ya! Finding electrics where they can! Eels up inside ya! Finding electrics where they can!

Eels! Eels! Eels! Eels! ...

[youtube]0AckvdGbk4w[/youtube]

I believe you'll find it's 'finding AN ENTRANCE where they can'. Ew!

commieprincess

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by commieprincess on May 15, 2015

Cucumber was also pretty good. By the same guy who did Queer as Folk - it's about gay relationships in Manchester and is sort of drama/comedy/tragedy.

Also, there's just this one pilot episode of 'Lizzie and Sarah' with Jessica Hynes and Julia Davis which is awesome and a big fat shame that it never got made into a series. Posh, retired, downtrodden wives kill their husbands.

Serge forward, Spaced is 15 years old - I don't think it counts as very current!

Noah Fence

8 years 10 months ago

Serge forward, Spaced is 15 years old - I don't think it counts as very current!

15 years is VERY current when you're my age(and I suspect Serge's). You youngster have no idea. Youth wasted on the young, don't know you're born, blah blah blah, witters on ad infinitum...

Serge Forward

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on May 15, 2015

commieprincess

Spaced is 15 years old

Fookin'ell. It's not much more than yesterday.

petey

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by petey on May 15, 2015

Steven.

archer - funny animated comedy about an incompetent spy agency

this is huge here in the states

fnbrilll

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by fnbrilll on May 15, 2015

Current US show called "Infomercials" on Adult Swim. Very dark and savage look at US culture funny in a "I don't really want to admit this" way.

My fave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gMjJNGg9Z8

boomerang

8 years 10 months ago

Finding an entrance... even better! I knew electrics didn't make sense but it's not like much else was making sense.

Anything that happened after high school seems current to me. When I was a kid and teen, each year felt like a world. Now the years, they slip by like eels.

boomerang

8 years 10 months ago

Webby

Top Boy. Compelling Drama set on an East London housing estate. Great characters, fantastic use of language. An absolute winner!

It's on Netflix at the moment.

I just watched the first 20 minutes and it's already really good! Gotta get to work soon though.

Link for those interested: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xw0f4l_top-boy-episode-1_shortfilms

A Wotsit

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by A Wotsit on May 15, 2015

Gimme Gimme Gimme, cheers boomerang but don't worry, not embarrassed. I used to like it but my tastes have changed a bit in 15ish years is all. The quote about love Auld-bod posted made me chuckle though.

Jam- great recommendation! It is super dark but ace. Other Chris Morris stuff like Brass Eye (spoof investigative documentaries) and The Day Today (spoof news) also excellent.

Also enjoyed Smoking Room at the time but not watched since.

I recently watched Raised by Wolves- sitcom focused on a working class mum and her kids. Thought Rebekah Staton was really good in this and the dialogue is great.

Auld-bod

8 years 10 months ago

Guilty pleasures because they remind me of people I know:

Malcolm in the Middle, first series brilliant, never saw the rest.
Outnumbered – again first series, funny and painful - I really know these folk… the genius of allowing children to steal the show.

Noah Fence

8 years 10 months ago

Auld-bod

Guilty pleasures because they remind me of people I know:

Malcolm in the Middle, first series brilliant, never saw the rest.
Outnumbered – again first series, funny and painful - I really know these folk… the genus of allowing children to steal the show.

Outnumbered - brilliant, although I usually can't stand that bloke, whatever his name is. Jesus, his topical 'comedy' sketch show on radio 4 is cringeworthy beyond belief.

Auld-bod

8 years 10 months ago

Best thing on Radio 4 is Ed Reardon's Week. Sublime.

Noah Fence

8 years 10 months ago

Auld-bod

Best thing on Radio 4 is Ed Reardon's Week. Sublime.

You seem to have forgotten the shipping forecast, but then I haven't heard Ed Reardon's Week, so...

My favourite thing on there used to be Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show. Just too funny - not to be confused with the shite TV show.

ajjohnstone

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by ajjohnstone on May 18, 2015

The State of Greenock..a series 5 minute mock-documentary episodes of when Greenock became independent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXeIm_wloKE

To close to the truth for comfort

petey

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by petey on May 18, 2015

snipfool

quite enjoying the goldbergs

it's on my bucket list.

xxzxcuzxme

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by xxzxcuzxme on May 24, 2015

I've just recently started watching the first season of the Walking Dead. So far I'm finding it really good, made better by the fact that it differs quite a lot from the comic books- so its like getting two versions of the same broad story.

wojtek

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on May 24, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qpoToJ2Au0
'bangin'!'
'cheeeers!'

Noah Fence

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on May 24, 2015

The re-launch of The Basil Brush Show in the noughties was superb.

bastarx

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by bastarx on May 26, 2015

xxzxcuzxme

I've just recently started watching the first season of the Walking Dead. So far I'm finding it really good, made better by the fact that it differs quite a lot from the comic books- so its like getting two versions of the same broad story.

Yeah the first season was great. 2nd season they suffered a pretty big budget cut due to the Mad Men cast winning big pay rises. So maybe watch the 1st episode of season 2 and then skip to the last 3 or so. The middle of it is truly excruciatingly pointless. Things pick up in S3 although along with some great episodes in later seasons there's some real rubbish as well.

It's very frustrating because TWD had the potential to be awesome all round but they just keep messing it up in various ways.

Auld-bod

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Auld-bod on May 26, 2015

Thanks for the tip - enjoyed the first few episodes of the 'Smoking Room'. People sitting in a room puffin' their lives away. A good bit - "She calls me, 'Grandpa fuck-off'".

Lucror

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Lucror on May 30, 2015

Can We Do It Ourselves - Documentary

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/can-we-do-it-ourselves/

Soapy

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Soapy on June 1, 2015

Been watching the sopranos. Probably reading way to deep into it but it seems pretty critical of the individualist mentality of conservative masculinity. Tony Soprano spends time fuming about his deadbeat welfare queen sister but at the same time is cheating on his wife and running scams that bilk old people out of their social security money. Seems like a recurring theme of the show that Tony is quick to point to the flaws in other people while he is unable or unwilling to deal with the flaws of his own character.

Fleur

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Fleur on June 1, 2015

The Sopranos is probably my favourite TV show ever. I think it really raised the bar for TV drama. The storytelling, acting, writing was consistently good all the way through. I think it's well worth sticking with.

Auld-bod

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Auld-bod on June 1, 2015

Until ‘The Wire’, I think ‘The Sopranos’ was the best thing on TV for a long time.
Tony Soprano is a great character, a likable individual, who ticks most boxes in a psychopathy checklist. Overall the most impressive thing is to show the mob as a capitalist business with a competitive management hierarchy.

SRQ

8 years 10 months ago

Submitted by SRQ on June 4, 2015

history of eyeglasses http://areena.yle.fi/1-2878 but you cant see it. It was informative and understandable for all Scandinavia.

Agent of the I…

8 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Agent of the I… on June 22, 2015

Finished watching the first four seasons of The Wire. I think its the best drama series ever. But I haven't seen The Sopranos yet.

Anyone watching the season 2 premiere of True Detective tonight? I heard its not as good as the first season.

Steven.

8 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on June 22, 2015

Agent of the Fifth International

Anyone watching the season 2 premiere of True Detective tonight? I heard its not as good as the first season.

I'm going to wait till the whole series is out and watch the lot in one go. I'm quite looking forward to it, though, as it kind of seems like it would be so rubbish (starring Vince Vaughn, directed by the bloke who did the Fast and Furious films…) but I'm sure as it's for True Detective it will be good!

bastarx

8 years 9 months ago

Submitted by bastarx on June 22, 2015

I've got the Clandestine Revolutionary True Detective Critical Studies Group convening in front of my TV tomorrow night.

Agent of the I…

8 years 9 months ago

Steven.

I'm going to wait till the whole series is out and watch the lot in one go. I'm quite looking forward to it, though, as it kind of seems like it would be so rubbish (starring Vince Vaughn, directed by the bloke who did the Fast and Furious films…) but I'm sure as it's for True Detective it will be good!

After watching the first episode, my feeling is that its overly serious and stylistic for no good reason. And the music sucks from beginning to end.

If anyone has to take the blame, it should be Nic Pizzolatto more than the director. It is his creation, writing all the episodes.

Agent of the I…

8 years 9 months ago

bastarx

I've got the Clandestine Revolutionary True Detective Critical Studies Group convening in front of my TV tomorrow night.

I don't think there's much to critically analyze this season. Hopefully I'm wrong by season's end.

plasmatelly

8 years 9 months ago

Submitted by plasmatelly on June 22, 2015

I'm nearly finished series three of Orange is the New Black - top drawer.

DekuScrub3

8 years 9 months ago

Submitted by DekuScrub3 on June 26, 2015

Few episodes into Sense8...haven't decided if I like it yet

Edit: also, re the Wire vs. the Sopranos conversation....I'm with Fleur on this one. Sopranos is my favorite show of all time.

Noah Fence

8 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on June 26, 2015

plasmatelly

I'm nearly finished series three of Orange is the New Black - top drawer.

Nearly finished season one. Great characters. Great everything.

Not TV but finally watched Matewan last night. Just brilliant. It even had a cop that I liked!

Agent of the I…

8 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Agent of the I… on June 26, 2015

Just watched the premiere episode of Mr. Robot, about a programmer named Elliot being recruited to a hacker group with schemes to take down a big conglomerate, and wiping out all student debt and mortgages. It has a strong left wing political outlook, in which the main character espouses conspiratorial, anti-corporate and anti-consumerist views. This quote is an example:

Elliot

What I'm about to tell you is top secret. There's a powerful group of people out there that are secretly running the world. I'm talking about the guys no one knows about. They guys who are invisible. The top 1% of the top 1%. The guys that play God without permission. And now I think they're following me.

Most of the time the character is talking to himself in his head. It's all pretty entertaining to watch so far, even if you don't agree with the politics. I'll even say it may have the potential to becoming a top series everyone talks about.

DekuScrub3

8 years 9 months ago

Submitted by DekuScrub3 on July 4, 2015

Finally gotten around to watching Sons of Anarchy. Lol, they actually quote Emma Goldman in the show, which given the context might piss people off here. I dunno. But I'm enjoying it. I keep on thinking of that episode of the Sopranos though where Tony and Christopher stick up a biker gang and spend the rest of the episode making fun of them...."We're with the vipers!" Would have loved to see a cross over episode of the two shows, haha.

jef costello

8 years 9 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on July 4, 2015

DekuScrub3

Finally gotten around to watching Sons of Anarchy. Lol, they actually quote Emma Goldman in the show, which given the context might piss people off here. I dunno. But I'm enjoying it. I keep on thinking of that episode of the Sopranos though where Tony and Christopher stick up a biker gang and spend the rest of the episode making fun of them...."We're with the vipers!" Would have loved to see a cross over episode of the two shows, haha.

Sons of Anarchy just gets worse and worse, I watched it to the end for some reason but I would not recommend it, the sheer ridiculousness of it begins to get a bit dull as they desperately try to make a club based on being a bit of an anti-social wanker into some kind of sacred brotherhood and expect us to care about unlikeable, and quite dull, characters.
Also in spite of the editing and music it becomes pretty obvious that motorcycles are useless against cars. And Kurt Sutter has some derious issues that he decides to work through with his TV show.

Try Rectify, it's a bit of a slow burner but after 3/4 episodes I feel like there's something there.
Revolution has its moments.

DekuScrub3

8 years 9 months ago

Submitted by DekuScrub3 on July 4, 2015

Eh, I'm only ten or so episodes in but enjoying it so far. I'm sure it will go downhill. Most shows do!

bastarx

8 years 9 months ago

Submitted by bastarx on July 5, 2015

jef costello

DekuScrub3

Sons of Anarchy just gets worse and worse, I watched it to the end for some reason but I would not recommend it, the sheer ridiculousness of it begins to get a bit dull as they desperately try to make a club based on being a bit of an anti-social wanker into some kind of sacred brotherhood and expect us to care about unlikeable, and quite dull, characters.
Also in spite of the editing and music it becomes pretty obvious that motorcycles are useless against cars. And Kurt Sutter has some derious issues that he decides to work through with his TV show.

Try Rectify, it's a bit of a slow burner but after 3/4 episodes I feel like there's something there.
Revolution has its moments.

I'll second that, I watched SoA from start to finish and it got pretty boring and repetitive. 3 seasons would have been plenty to tell the story that it told.

DekuScrub3

8 years 9 months ago

Submitted by DekuScrub3 on July 5, 2015

Although if there was a cross over episode between Sopranos and Sons of Anarchy it would probably cause a rift in the space time continuum since Drea de Matteo is on both shows.

MT

8 years 8 months ago

Submitted by MT on July 5, 2015

The Mill S01+02 - simply amazing! Did I miss it here or is it really possible that noone mentioned this before on libcom.org?;)

House of Cards S03 - better than S02, perhaps even better than S01.

Hoping to start watching Sense8 soon.

infektfm

8 years 8 months ago

Submitted by infektfm on July 20, 2015

Hannibal is the best show since Breaking Bad, hands down, in my opinion. Absolutely brilliant, especially from the second half of the first season forward (it begins with more a focus on being a good procedural police drama and thus at first glance looks a little too much like a copy of Dexter -- but even at the beginning, you know its different). Season 2 was amazing. Season 3 is unlike anything I've watched before -- Bryan Fuller is doing a better 21st century David Lynch than Lynch himself. But we'll see what the revival of Twin Peaks brings. Anyways, its a real shame that Hannibal is canceled -- it was obviously a bad fit for American network TV from the start, and its surprising it lasted as long as it did. There's still talks that season 4 may appear elsewhere (or as a movie), but thankfully, even if it doesn't, because the show was always under threat of cancellation, each season finale is made to be able to double as a series finale.

The Wire, of course, is great. A similar HBO show, in my opinion, in a lot of ways is Deadwood. It's like The Wire of the old west, and offers a decent depiction of American manifest destiny expansionism and the rise of modern capitalism in the latter 19th century. It's got great acting and writing, and it is production-wise very raw. But just like Hannibal, its was canceled after 3 seasons.

The Americans is an awesome and intelligent show. Just don't watch it for communist politics. I think, right now, it and Hannibal are the best shows out there.

Mr. Robot is great too, so far, but I will reserve my ultimate judgement until the whole season is over. So far, though, it is very good. Again, though, try not to take its politics too seriously. It draws on some naive, occupy-esque leftism. But it does so intelligently, I suppose, and in many ways it is brave for doing so. It is also apparently a technically sound hacker show, which is something.

The first season of Better Call Saul was great -- as if anyone would have doubted that it would be!

Twin Peaks, of course, was an awesome show. Especially season 1.

X Files may just be my favorite show ever, and I am super excited about its revival this January.

Yes...I watch too much TV.

wojtek

8 years 7 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on August 14, 2015

After watching the first episode, my feeling is that its overly serious and stylistic for no good reason. And the music sucks from beginning to end.

If anyone has to take the blame, it should be Nic Pizzolatto more than the director. It is his creation, writing all the episodes.

HOW DARE YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION TO ME!

Agent of the I…

8 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Agent of the I… on August 16, 2015

wojtek

HOW DARE YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION TO ME!

Hmm, what's your opinion on the show? I didn't see you write anything about it.

wojtek

8 years 7 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on August 17, 2015

I'm no mark kermode, but I loved it - as I did galveston. lera lynn, the landscape shots are really good. the cast smashed it; i didn't know vince vaughn (dodgeball, the break up) and rachael mcadams (wedding crashers) could play those parts. i didn't completely keep up with the plot, but i don't care.
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/06/nic-pizzolatto-true-detective-season-2-better-than-season-1?src=longreads

Cooked

8 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Cooked on August 17, 2015

wojtek

the landscape shots are really good. the cast smashed it;

The landscape shots were nice but to me they felt a bit disconnected from the rest of the show despite depicting (well) the places the story was set in.

On the large scale the story was better and more ambitious in season 2. I think they took on a bit to much though. They couldn't handle relationships beyond the almost absurdly male stuff.

The ending of the first season was crap beyond belief but up till then I loved it. I'm a sucker for the southern moody stuff though.

jef costello

8 years 7 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on August 17, 2015

Just finally finished American Gothic. Weak points and sometimes it just looks plain silly but the effects are surprisingly good and the themes are surprisingly dark from a one-season network show from 1996. Worth a watch, quite a few good actors in there.

Someone's at the door.

Serge Forward

8 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on August 17, 2015

A bit of 'Nordic Noir' with the Mammon mini series. Top notch and available in the UK on 4OD http://www.channel4.com/programmes/mammon

Serge Forward

8 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on August 30, 2015

Just finished watching The Devil's Whore (it's called The Devil's Mistress in the US) on Channel 4's catch-up facility. It's a historical drama set at the time of the English Civil War and assorted revolutionaries of the time, such as levellers, diggers and ranters, all feature in the storyline. Although the writers have taken a fair bit of artistic licence, it's a good tale with a strong socialist and feminist heart and I really enjoyed it.

petey

8 years 7 months ago

Submitted by petey on August 30, 2015

jef costello

Someone's at the door.

the plod?

omen

8 years 7 months ago

Submitted by omen on August 30, 2015

I remember watching American Gothic when it first came out, but this is almost exactly as scary:

[youtube]I4xJvxSZ9aI[/youtube]

ETA: Also, I knew I recognized Sarah Paulson from American Horror Story from somewhere, and I just realized she played Merlyn in American Gothic.

jef costello

8 years 7 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on August 30, 2015

petey

jef costello

Someone's at the door.

the plod?

The Sheriff actually, but it's kind of the motif of the series.

omen - I watched it when it came out too, no idea why I didn't finish it then, might have been scheduled badly back in the days when US imports were rare and badly treated on UK tv

Steven.

8 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on August 31, 2015

Just finished watching Peaky Blinders, six part miniseries setting Birmingham in 1919. Overall I'd say it was fairly good (up to the last episode I would set was very good, but the ending was a bit rubbish). It's focused on a criminal gang but in the background is the working class and revolutionary upheaval of the time and police efforts to stamp it out

Devrim

8 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Devrim on August 31, 2015

There are two seasons of it Steven.

Devrim

infektfm

8 years 6 months ago

Submitted by infektfm on September 7, 2015

The second season is pretty damned good, too.

David in Atlanta

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by David in Atlanta on December 30, 2015

I haven't scrolled through the entire thread so someone may have mentioned it, but one of my current favorite shows is Steven Universe from cartoon network. It's the tale of a young boy maturing under the care of his ne'er-do-well dad and his three intergalactic lesbian revolutionary step-mothers. Seriously.

Steven.

8 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on January 12, 2016

Resurrecting this thread, Narcos is very good, and Making a Murderer is amazing!

Especially if you watch it and The Jinx, you get a great look at the criminal justice system in the US from the perspective of a rich person, and a poor one

jef costello

8 years 2 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on January 13, 2016

Comedies (mostly half-hour)

You're the worst - very black comedy that manages to show the loveable side of the main characters while letting them remain shitty people.
Married - IT's been cancelled but I enjoyed it. Quite low-key.
iZombie - silly and fun, a lighter Veronica Mars with zombies.
Master of None - Aziz Ansari's comedy series, took me an episode or two to get into it, ended up really enjoying it.
The last man on earth - silly and untaxing.
It's always Sunny in Philadelphia - you should have seen this by now.

serious stuff

Unforgotten - good well-written and didn't throw pointless diversions at us to create a twist every half hour, I'm lookig at you Broadchurch.
River - Frankly a stupid premise and often ridiculous but the excellent acting, especially of the two leads, made it work.
Better Call Saul - Liked it quite a bit in the end.
Rectify - really slow-burning and sometimes a little infuriating. Its good but I don't think I have the patience to sit down and actually properly watch hour-long dramas with my full attention.

Khawaga

8 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on January 13, 2016

Just binged Red Road over the x-mas break. Pretty interesting show set in a fictional town/indigenous reservation in New Jersey and does a pretty good job of showing the relationship between the two groups, intra-indigenous struggles (over casinos) and much more within a pretty standard detective/crime drama. And it's only 6 episodes per season (two so far).

I am also liking the sci-fi show the Expanse. I read and liked the books that the show is based on; galactic politics (a sort of Cold War between Earth and Mars is going on, while the "colonized" outer planets is basically the sweat shop of the human race and there is a rebellion brewing), conspiracies, noir detective feel at points. Production values are pretty good, and the show is far less campy than most SyFy channel shows.

infektfm

8 years 2 months ago

Submitted by infektfm on January 14, 2016

jef costello

Comedies (mostly half-hour)

Rectify - really slow-burning and sometimes a little infuriating. Its good but I don't think I have the patience to sit down and actually properly watch hour-long dramas with my full attention.

It is slow -- no doubt about that -- but I think its beautiful so far. In the middle of the second season right now

infektfm

8 years 2 months ago

Submitted by infektfm on January 14, 2016

Anybody else catch the new Luther episodes?

petey

8 years 2 months ago

Submitted by petey on January 15, 2016

jef costello

It's always Sunny in Philadelphia - you should have seen this by now.

It's appalling, but in a good way

My besties (from Phila in fact) gave me the DVD of Pushing Daisires, am liking it. Rapid-fire sort of comedy.

jef costello

8 years 2 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on January 16, 2016

[quote=Khawaga]Just binged Red Road over the x-mas break. Pretty interesting show set in a fictional town/indigenous reservation in New Jersey and does a pretty good job of showing the relationship between the two groups, intra-indigenous struggles (over casinos) and much more within a pretty standard detective/crime drama. And it's only 6 episodes per season (two so far).
/quote]
Been meaning to watch that, the main character was in the Australian Secrets and Lies which was pretty good (not seen the american version with Ryan Philippe...)

fidel gastro

8 years 2 months ago

Submitted by fidel gastro on January 18, 2016

Serge Forward

radicalgraffiti

Black Books

You know what, I never took to that programme. Though I loved Father Ted and could watch it again and again and I really liked the IT Crowd, both from the same stable, I found Black Books pretty much unwatchable. That said, the Tom Waits stylee theme tune is great.

Black Books was awesome, with many a classic moment for me. I can remember the episode where Manny (Bill Bailey's character) has too much coffee as being one of my favourites but there are many others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GM9GjGTdWg

Days of Hope is worth a watch, you can watch it youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u019DvYjY4

fidel gastro

8 years 2 months ago

I also have fond memories of Big Train https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUEV4rnu5V8

S. Artesian

8 years 2 months ago

Submitted by S. Artesian on January 18, 2016

What? No food shows? Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives?

Iron Chef-- the original Japanese edition-- the kitchen version of Godzilla?

My favorites: Floyd on Food; Floyd on France. Nothing like having a trained chef/self-trained alcoholic in the kitchen.

wojtek

8 years 2 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on January 18, 2016

Pheonix Nights
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4qpoToJ2Au0

fidel gastro

8 years 2 months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-QDyX3pEHc

jef costello

8 years 2 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on January 18, 2016

Black Books is dependent on how much Bill Bailey is in the episode and how much of him I can stomach. It does have some very funny moments though.
Apparently The IT crowd got funny, but I gave up after a few episodes because it was just people shouting.
In case anyone was wondering Green Wing ws awful.

Episodes was quite fun, season two went to pot but it got back on track, it's not the best but it's fun enough. Community was great, it went to shit but you don't have to watch the last 2-4 seasons...

Better Off Ted - Clean cut nice guy works for evil corporation with sociopathic boss, hero-worhsipping science nerds and a sexy colleague. A lot of fun.

You're the Worst - Cynical and touching at the same time.

The Americans - all-american couple are kick-ass Russian spies. Pretty subversive for an american show. First episode goes a bit over the top with their sex-ninja skills but it's consistently good.

Justified.

Veronica Mars. iZombie (Veronica MArs the zombie)

Arrow - stupid as anything but usually lots of fun (sister show the flash is a less good ripoff)

Diners, Drive-ins and Dives is ok . There's a whole set of similar programmes, I quite like The best thing I ever made and Food and Drink with Michel Roux Junior, and there's an australian programme called Spice Trip that's quite good.

Steven.

8 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on January 19, 2016

Episodes sadly gets absolutely awful. I always found the two main characters very annoying but Matt LeBlanc was enough to keep it entertaining for a season or two.

The IT Crowd is brilliant. I would try to stick with it. When I first saw Father Ted I thought it was just shouting so turned it off, and didn't give it a proper go until years later (actually thinking about it these two shows have the same creators as well. I guess they like shouting…)

The Green Wing is truly shit.

The Last Man on Earth is so good! As is Master of None.

I will give Red Road ago, sounds interesting.

I recently tried watching a few episodes of Luther as everyone goes on about it. But turns out it is fucking rubbish. Ridiculous plotlines, stereotypical, two-dimensional characters, absolutely full of cliches… Is everyone just so bamboozled because it has Idris Elba in it that they don't realise they are basically watching an over the top version of The Bill?

Auld-bod

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Auld-bod on February 4, 2016

‘Detectorists’, series one.
Very funny gentle English humour. Feel as if I’ve met these people. Watching the series is like consuming Maltesers, one is not enough.

James MacBryde

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by James MacBryde on February 4, 2016

Watched the first 30 episodes of Prisoner Cell Block H last month and I loved it.

infektfm

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by infektfm on February 8, 2016

New X files --- first episode sucked, second was excellent, third was excellent AND hilarious. I will watch anything with rhys darby apparently

boomerang

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by boomerang on February 21, 2016

Hey look! The thread I started long ago is still going! That's great. I'm glad to get some TV suggestions from the libcom crew.

So not too long ago I watched the mini-series Wet Hot American Summer. It's a prequel to the movie by the same title. It's a comedy about a summer camp and focuses on the camp counselors who are supposed to be teenagers. In the movie most of them are actually in their late 20s to mid 30s, though. Then the mini-series was made 14 years later but is supposed to be the same summer/year, and they have all the same actors and actresses who are now mostly in their 40s! Still playing teenagers. A lot of the comedy comes from that, but it's just generally funny stuff. Also it has plenty of famous actors and actresses. One of the greatest performances in my opinion comes from Paul Rudd. He plays a douchebag who thinks he's so cool.

On Netflix but I found it online on one of the streaming sites.

boomerang

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by boomerang on February 21, 2016

infektfm

New X files --- first episode sucked, second was excellent, third was excellent AND hilarious. I will watch anything with rhys darby apparently

OMG, I used to LOVE X-Files when I was a kid! I haven't gotten excited about it being back on cuz I assumed it would suck. Glad to hear it's kickin ass.

Chilli Sauce

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on February 21, 2016

infektfm

Yeah, that third episode was pretty amazing.

jef costello

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by jef costello on February 21, 2016

The 100 - it both manages to be quite silly and quite realistic in it's depiction of society in the way that people keep ballsing everything up for the crappiest of reasons.

Guy and Hunter's european vacation - Hunter, his kid, is surprisingly nice and it's quite interesting to see them visit places, in fact I think it should be an hour rather than half an hour because they're skipping over all the interesting places that they visit/people they meet/food they cook.

Louie - tried it a while ago and wasn't too taken with it. Tried Horace and Pete, it was boring as fuck.

Auld-bod

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Auld-bod on February 21, 2016

‘Detectorists’, series two.

Very funny series where working class people are not simple minded, rather they're ironically self aware.

infektfm

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by infektfm on February 22, 2016

boomerang

Hey look! The thread I started long ago is still going! That's great. I'm glad to get some TV suggestions from the libcom crew.

So not too long ago I watched the mini-series Wet Hot American Summer. It's a prequel to the movie by the same title. It's a comedy about a summer camp and focuses on the camp counselors who are supposed to be teenagers. In the movie most of them are actually in their late 20s to mid 30s, though. Then the mini-series was made 14 years later but is supposed to be the same summer/year, and they have all the same actors and actresses who are now mostly in their 40s! Still playing teenagers. A lot of the comedy comes from that, but it's just generally funny stuff. Also it has plenty of famous actors and actresses. One of the greatest performances in my opinion comes from Paul Rudd. He plays a douchebag who thinks he's so cool.

On Netflix but I found it online on one of the streaming sites.

Wet hot american summer is like one of the funniest things ive ever seen

infektfm

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by infektfm on February 22, 2016

Ok, so the Man in the High Castle is very good, even though it often felt like a "what if privileged white people were oppressed too?" sort of thing. Its still great, for fans of alternative histories and science fiction (the sci fi angle doesnt make itself known immediately)

cactus9

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by cactus9 on February 24, 2016

There's a good new show called "Trapped", it's Icelandic. I also rate the bbc quiz show Pointless for my post work chilling and my guilty pleasure is First Dates (exactly what you'd think) except that according to the demographics of people on the dates everyone in the UK is either posh or Northern.

I'm also looking forward to the new series of Fresh Meat this evening.

My best tv show of recent years was Top of the Lake.

Noah Fence

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on February 24, 2016

I repeatedly watch Top Boy. One of the best TV dramas I've ever seen.

Khawaga

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Khawaga on February 24, 2016

I'm also looking forward to the new series of Fresh Meat this evening.

Sweet. I've been waiting for ever for the new season. It's been, what, two years since the last one?

Khawaga

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Khawaga on February 24, 2016

What I've been watching recently.

The Shannara Chronicles. Campy fantasy show based on the book by Terry Brooks.

The Magicians. Basically Harry Potter in university. Pretty good so far.

Fresh Off the Boat. 20 minute comedy about an asian-american family. It's pretty funny.

infektfm

7 years 12 months ago

Submitted by infektfm on April 4, 2016

Anybody catch any of the new season (4) of the Americans yet? I'm waiting for more episodes to come out so I can binge watch it -- so far its got as much, if not more, acclaim than the last season. I'm super stoked to see where things go!

I also watched the first episode of The Path on Hulu. It was interesting -- maybe a little stylistically over the top, but I'm still intrigued. It's got Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul (Jessie) and Hannibal's Hugh Dancy (Will Graham).

Steven.

7 years 12 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on April 4, 2016

infektfm

Anybody catch any of the new season (4) of the Americans yet? I'm waiting for more episodes to come out so I can binge watch it -- so far its got as much, if not more, acclaim than the last season. I'm super stoked to see where things go!

yeah, I'm waiting for all of it to binge watch. Currently watching the new season of Better Call Saul, which is good.

Although my favourite show at the moment is American Crime Story: The People Versus O.J. Simpson. Final episode is tomorrow, it is so good!

I also watched the first episode of The Path on Hulu. It was interesting -- maybe a little stylistically over the top, but I'm still intrigued. It's got Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul (Jessie) and Hannibal's Hugh Dancy (Will Graham).

sounds interesting, I'll check it out. Hannibal was good for a couple of seasons, then the last one got so shit I didn't last more than one or two episodes

infektfm

7 years 12 months ago

I do need to check out that American Crime Story -- I hear it's great!

I've only watched the first episode of S2 of Better Call Saul and I need to get on that. But that is definitely a show which requires binge watching for me, so I may wait until its all over before I make the trek.

But hey, you should really give Hannibal s3 more of a chance. It really becomes awesome around episode 6 or so, and has a great run until the end. Then again, I actually loved how the season started out, but sometimes I can be a pretentious avant garde snob in my tastes :D it was definitely slow-going at first, without much plot development. But it seemed appropriate given the trauma each character received at the end of season 2. I like how it all comes together mid-season, at any rate. There are some real classic Hannibal moments, and the end of the series is one for the books!

infektfm

7 years 12 months ago

I realize I just said The Path might be stylistically over the top, but then I raved about Hannibal s3. Yes, I contradict myself hahah

generalLDS

7 years 11 months ago

Submitted by generalLDS on April 8, 2016

Adventure Time,
The Middle,
The Walking Dead

potrokin

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by potrokin on June 13, 2016

I think someone mentioned The Devil's Whore? I'm watching that at the moment, it's brilliant.

Serge Forward

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on June 13, 2016

potrokin

I think someone mentioned The Devil's Whore? I'm watching that at the moment, it's brilliant.

Yeah, proper revolutionary telly that. The sequel New Worlds is okay but not as good as the original.

cactus9

7 years 7 months ago

Submitted by cactus9 on August 26, 2016

Tv program about the low wage economy, it's making the rage rise up even though it's been sanitised. Ain't seen a rat yet.

Craftwork

7 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Craftwork on August 26, 2016

Khawaga

Where can I find The Devil's Whore?

Hell.

Khawaga

7 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on August 26, 2016

I fucking knew someone would make that joke! :)

Serge Forward

7 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on August 26, 2016

You can find the Devil's Whore on Channel 4's watch again facility. The sequel, New Worlds, is also available there.

Khawaga

7 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on August 26, 2016

Cheers, Serge.

infektfm

7 years 7 months ago

Submitted by infektfm on August 26, 2016

Someone mentioned adventure time -- I have to say, maybe the best american cartoon ever created!

Check out this adventure time critique of private property:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8PuFxU3UZM

basically teaches children about enclosure.

potrokin

7 years 6 months ago

Submitted by potrokin on September 16, 2016

The Oblongs, it was a cartoon from a while ago but it's still relevant and really funny.

Agent of the I…

6 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Agent of the I… on February 24, 2018

Corporate - a new workplace comedy on Comedy Central. It's more stylized than say, The Office, which tries to mimic a documentary. It's pretty funny stuff.

Rick and Morty - I have been catching up on this one recently. It's a pretty good cartoon, but it's not the greatest thing ever. It's praise has been overblown in some corners of the internet.

Twin Peaks: The Return - I've seen it all, and while I think its entertaining, I don't like it as much as the original series. Plus, I don't really know how to explain the story. Has anyone else seen this?

jef costello

6 years 1 month ago

Submitted by jef costello on February 24, 2018

Nowhere Fast - Irish comedy series about a young woman who gets fired from a media job and ends up back home in the countryside.

The Mick - Sweet Dee from Sunny gets some kids.

Shut eye - Fake medium starts getting visions. It's the guy from Burn Notice but they don't let him do accents.

Crazy ex-girlfriend - crazy woman in a musical comedy drama.

The Good Place - Comedy about ethics and philosophy. Takes a little while to get going but I really like it.

Handmade in Mexico, nice BBC show about artisans.

Yes Chef - Very simple cooking show that doesn't fuck about with drama and stuff; people just cook and try to win. No one dedicates anything to their dead parent/kids/the troops.

Michael Tuesdays and Thursdays. Weird show about a guy who has been in therapy for 15 years and starts to wonder about his therapist, who is also struggling with the ethics of writing a book about him. There is a new series out now, but I haven't watched it because I'm worried they'll have fucked it up.

Get Krack!n - fake morning show from Australia, very funny, highlights a whole bunch of stuff about the way women are treated.

Powerless - a little uneven sitcom about people without superpowers working at a subsidiary of Wayne industries. It got cancelled and I can see why but in general it is good and some episodes and gags are really good.

Angie Tribeca - Police Squad with Rashida Jones and Wynn Duffy from Justified. Silly, rapid-fire gags, worth a watch.

Ginger Snaps - cartoon short series about a psychopathic ten year-old girl running a girlscout troop selling cookies like a mafia family.

Ghosted - Adam Scott and Craig Robinson team up to fight ghosts. Thjey manage to rein in CR and play off the charm of the two leads without going overboard (anyone who saw Mr Robinson will know how it goes when the director/writers like CR too much!) Also the supporting cast has Adeel Akhtar and Ally Walker who are good when they are there.

And McMafia was shite.

I watched the first episode of Peaky Blinders but it had too much intrusive music that pissed me off, it's one of thoise things that bugs me. And too much Jack White, two White stripes songs and a raconteurs song in one episode!

pi

6 years 1 month ago

Submitted by pi on February 25, 2018

"You can find the Devil's Whore on Channel 4's watch again facility."

I can't get 4OD to play on my Ubuntu OS. It seems related to flash DRM. I tried various solutions found through search but no joy.

adri

6 years 1 month ago

Submitted by adri on February 26, 2018

Haven't seen many TV series, or own a TV for that matter. Dexter was nice though, if you've been living under a rock this past decade. Oh and Star Trek TNG, if you've really been living under a rock. Don't really care for all the other Star Treks (I like their red and black uniforms; Patrick Stewart even calls himself a socialist, for whatever that's worth -- Labour I guess) . That's about all the television-related stuff I'm into. TV series are too time-consuming to keep up with and would cut into my other time-wasting activities.

Agent of the I…

4 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Agent of the I… on May 29, 2019

I have completed four seasons of Lost. It's good. It's more than just an island survivalist drama - with a bit of supernatural mystery playing an increasing role as the series progresses.

R Totale

4 years 10 months ago

Submitted by R Totale on May 29, 2019

I've just been getting into Derry Girls - proper excellent show, would be intrigued what viewers who aren't familiar with NI context/accents make of it though.
Also,
Khawaga

Preacher has been good so far.

Is Preacher the only example ever of an adaptation being considerably better than the original source material?

Khawaga

4 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on May 29, 2019

R Totale

Is Preacher the only example ever of an adaptation being considerably better than the original source material?

Nope, I'd say The Expanse is a much better example of that than Preacher. That show has just gotten better and better; the books are a bit pulpy and reads much more like fantasy in space, but the show turned it toward hardish sci-fi.

I actually lost interest in Preacher towards the end of season 1, it just didn't go anywhere in my opinion and then didn't bother with season 2. Does it pick up the pace?

R Totale

4 years 10 months ago

Submitted by R Totale on May 29, 2019

Ah, I've not either read or seen the Expanse so not too qualified to judge that one. And I really liked the second series of Preacher, but if I remember right one of the things I enjoyed was how well they conveyed a sense of lethargy and ennui, so maybe not recommended if you found the first one too slow-paced.

Khawaga

4 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on May 29, 2019

Ah, I've not either read or seen the Expanse so not too qualified to judge that one. And I really liked the second series of Preacher, but if I remember right one of the things I enjoyed was how well they conveyed a sense of lethargy and ennui, so maybe not recommended if you found the first one too slow-paced.

Well, I guess you have to trust me on The Expanse, which I highly recommend, but don't bother with the books unless you really like reading before you watch something (it's an annoying tick I have, been meaning to read Good Omens for years, and even started a few times, but will finally get to it now that the show is debuting end of this month IIRC).

The pace in Preacher wasn't what bothered me, it just lacked a bit of direction IMO (and my partner didn't find it as interesting as me because she never read the comics). I've got Prime so I might give it another go.

Noah Fence

4 years 10 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on May 30, 2019

Fleabag is perfect. Hilarious, endearing, sad and unnerving. As I say, perfect.

jef costello

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on June 4, 2019

I watched the first episode of Fleabag and felt like it was really trying to shock me, but it didn't really and I wasn't that taken with it beyond that. I would have given it another try but all the critics have been wanking over it so much.

The Good Place - I almost gave up, but it turned out to be a lot of fun, I feel like they are hitting the limits of their ideas, so it's lucky they don't have 24 episode seasons or they'd have hit a wall.

AP Bio - Dennis from It's always sunny in Philadelphia, very uneven but has some great moments.

Brooklyn 90 - should probbly stop, but still stick with it fo some reason.

Hotel Babylon - because I'm tired and getting old :)

This summer I plan to watch Derry Girls, catch up on the 100 (leave me alone, it's quite good) watch iZombie (Veronica Mars vs zombies), finally watch the second season of Rectify,(so slow, but I am intrigued, I really want to follow it where it goes) as well as the new season of Michael (tuesdays and thursdays) but as I plan to do loads of prep for work(to make my life easier), prepare for professional exams for money and job security, do some DIY, write a novel etc each summer and never do it who knows what my chances are...

edit: forgot to say if I liked half the show I mentioned last time
Nowhere Fast is very funny, The Mick is sometimes funny, crazy ex-girlfriend is great (Damn I have a season of that to watch too, Ginger Snaps is great too, there was supposed to be second season...

I think I might give up on ever starting Game of Thrones.

bastarx

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by bastarx on June 5, 2019

jef costello

Don't do it or if you do only watch up til the end of the 4th season. The ending was a steaming pile of reactionary shit. IMHO it's actually worse than the ending of BSG which was another show I once loved that cruelly disappointed me.

Noah Fence

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on June 5, 2019

trying to shock me

I can’t imagine what gave you that idea?

Khawaga

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on June 5, 2019

Don't do it or if you do only watch up til the end of the 4th season. The ending was a steaming pile of reactionary shit. IMHO it's actually worse than the ending of BSG which was another show I once loved that cruelly disappointed me.

Haven't finished GoT, but from some online chatter I've heard most people were unhappy, then again the writing was on the wall as soon as they couldn't rely directly on the book. I agree with BSG, such a great show, at least up until mid-season 3, then most went downhill.

Speaking of shitty endings to shows:

Agent of the First Intl

I have completed four seasons of Lost. It's good. It's more than just an island survivalist drama - with a bit of supernatural mystery playing an increasing role as the series progresses.

You'll be disappointed in the ending...

These days I am mostly watching anime. Currently really enjoying Rising of the Shield Hero, Dororo, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. Finished Love is War recently and it was fucking hilarious.

Has anyone seen Catch-22 or Chernobyl yet (are they even out)? I am interested in both of those, and Good Omens.

Noah Fence

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on June 5, 2019

Chernobyl is out on Sky. I think you only have till Tuesday before it gets taken down. I don’t got Sky so I haven’t seen it.
Who’s putting out Catch 22?

Khawaga

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on June 5, 2019

Catch-22 is a Hulu production, I think, so not sure who would be offering it in Europe. I am in Canada so no access to Sky, though I think some HBO shows are made available on Crave.

Fleur

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Fleur on June 5, 2019

Crave does all the HBO shows but the current ones are only available on the premium service, which has been threatening to cut me off for giving too many people my password. Apparently about a dozen people watching GoT at the same time at different locations was a bit of a red flag to them.

Watch Schitt's Creek, it's really funny and Moira Rose is now my esthetic goal.

bastarx

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by bastarx on June 6, 2019

They're all available on The Pirate Bay and similar sites. I don't know why communists would pay for things that are free.

Reddebrek

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Reddebrek on June 6, 2019

I've seen Chernobyl, its pretty good, its very close to the actual events but it still plays like a cosmic horror. Wouldn't recommend watching it while eating though, they didn't skimp on the make up budget for the effects of radiation sickness.

Also its wound up the social media tankies, so we now have the spectacle of Stalin avatars rushing to the defence of the leadership of Comrade Gorbachev

Khawaga

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on June 6, 2019

bastarx because streaming services are convenient, cost me as much as a couple of pints, is as expensive as a VPN access which I will need to pirate etc. In addition, these days you have to be much more careful about the files you download; there are a lot more dangerous fakes than there used to be, so more care needs to be taken. So again, more convenient to pay $10 or so. Streaming services were actually piracy killers for this reason, though since everyone and their dog has a streaming service these days, piracy is catching on again. If there's a show that is not on a streaming service I subscribe to, I do pirate or use a pirate streaming site. All of this has little to do with being a communist or not...

R Totale

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by R Totale on June 6, 2019

bastarx

jef costello

I have still never actually seen the throney gameshow, but I thought this article was an interesting possible explanation for that: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/?redirect=1

Has anyone seen Good Omens? Kind of intrigued by that one. Have to say that I really wasn't a fan of American Gods.

EDIT: Wait, did GoT really have a dragon called Drogon in it?

bastarx

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by bastarx on June 7, 2019

R Totale

EDIT: Wait, did GoT really have a dragon called Drogon in it?

Yes. Named after it's masters dead husband Drogo.

Noah Fence

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on June 7, 2019

Game of Thrones

I’ve tried to watch it but it’s just not happening - I just cannot bear the fantasy aesthetic. It conjures up visions of nasal voiced sixth formers, Dungeons and Dragons, prog rock, Warhammer shop populators and David Bowie’s terrible fucking hair do in that awful 1980s fantasy film. Glad it’s all done with.

Comrade Motopu

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Comrade Motopu on June 7, 2019

I'm almost finished season 1 of The tv version of "What We Do in the Shadows" and it's my current favorite show. It's a funny and endearing show about the everyday lives of murderous vampires.

Noah Fence

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on June 7, 2019

Comrade Motopu

I'm almost finished season 1 of The tv version of "What We Do in the Shadows" and it's my current favorite show. It's a funny and endearing show about the everyday lives of murderous vampires.

I’ve watched some of the TV show - it’s pretty similar to the film and is still pretty good, but the film is still better by quite some margin. Definitely check it out.

Khawaga

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on June 7, 2019

I just cannot bear the fantasy aesthetic. It conjures up visions of nasal voiced sixth formers, Dungeons and Dragons, prog rock, Warhammer shop populators and David Bowie’s terrible fucking hair do in that awful 1980s fantasy film. Glad it’s all done with.

Dungeons & Dragons is awesome, Warhammer 40k is great, but each to their own, I guess ;)

While I do like fantasy, I much prefer sci-fi on TV. Still, good fantasy and sci-fi shows are few and far in between.

I loved What We Do in the Shadows so I'll definitively check out the TV show. I need some good TV these days, recovering from surgery so I have a lot of time on my hands.

cactus9

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by cactus9 on June 9, 2019

New series of Killing Eve. It's quite good. Also Nigel Slater cooking Middle Eastern food, it's pretty good.

Spikymike

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Spikymike on June 20, 2019

Nearly finished watching the UK BBC dystopian series 'Year and Years' by Russell T Davies. Fictional drama based in the very near UK/World future. Scarrilly real by my estimation.
Edit: Disappointing end to this in the last episode. The 'rebels' win but only in conjunction with, by that stage, a subsidiary and presumed honest part of the existing state apparatus - the police!

Mike Harman

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Mike Harman on June 12, 2019

Not sure if there's a separate political TV thread and these have probably been discussed, but some ones I watched. Not necessarily the best TV but good enough to keep going with, from Netflix.

Aggretsuko - like an kids anime 9-5/Office Space: chosen by a small person and massively exceeded expectations for the whole family tbh.

Damnation - communist posing as a priest tries to organise farmers during the great depression.

Black sails - pirates fight the British empire.

Underground: feat. Harriet Tubman

Jim

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Jim on June 13, 2019

Mike Harman

Not sure if there's a separate political TV thread and these have probably been discussed, but some ones I watched. Not necessarily the best TV but good enough to keep going with, from Netflix.

Aggretsuko - like an kids anime 9-5/Office Space: chosen by a small person and massively exceeded expectations for the whole family tbh.

Damnation - communist posing as a priest tries to organise farmers during the great depression.

Black sails - pirates fight the British empire.

Underground: feat. Harriet Tubman

You should do a blog of things to watch on Netflix because I spend hours flicking through it before deciding I'd be better off watching a repeat of Newsnight on iPlayer.

Chernobyl was amazing, watch it/download it if you've not seen it already.

Craftwork

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Craftwork on June 14, 2019

Spikymike

Nearly finished watching the UK BBC dystopian series 'Year and Years' by Russell T Davies. Fictional drama based in the very near UK/World future. Scarrilly real by my estimation.

Second this.

adri

4 years 9 months ago

Submitted by adri on June 19, 2019

I'm watching the Netflix thriller "Dark", some pure motherfucking filler. No, but it's OK so far. It's about time traveling and missing people and other fun stuff. It's supposed to be kind of like "Stranger Things" according to wiki, which I haven't seen. It's in German if you don't mind the subtitles.

jef costello

4 years 8 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on July 10, 2019

Condor - I remember quite enjoying the book. The TV show makes the guy anti-government without being anti-American and tries to set out its liberal credentials while also completely ignoring them.

For example guy decides to quit because his algorithm says there is a 12% chance a guy is a terrorist and the CIA decides to execute him instead of doing anything else. But it turns out he is a terorist so the whole point about spying on citizens (the algorithm was for external use only) is immediately dropped and he no longer wonders about the morality of it all. Then it turns out it was all a big conspiracy...

It had its moments but I am not sue that I would recommend hit. Especially as pretty much evryone regularly stops to tell the main character how amazing he is for no real reason. "Oh hai Joe, did I mention that you are basically Jesus?"
"No, everything is my fault ;( "
"No, you are definitely Jesus."
someone gets shot or something explodes...

Derry Girls - finally watched the first episode, liked it.

Agent of the I…

4 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Agent of the I… on July 18, 2019

Khawaga

Speaking of shitty endings to shows:

Agent of the First Intl

You'll be disappointed in the ending...

You was right about this. I can't believe there are people who defend that ending.

Khawaga

4 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on July 18, 2019

Lost's ending is probably one of the worst I've ever seen; beats that of Battlestar Galactica and Game of Thrones easily.

An Affirming Flame

4 years 8 months ago

Submitted by An Affirming Flame on July 18, 2019

Khawaga

Lost's ending is probably one of the worst I've ever seen; beats that of Battlestar Galactica and Game of Thrones easily.

Yeah, I was happy with Game of Thrones' ending and thought Battlestar Galactica's ending was decent, but Lost's ending was a complete pile of shit.

Khawaga

4 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on July 18, 2019

I thought both the GoT and BSG endings were steaming piles of shite, just to place Lost's finale in perspective of how bad it is.

Agent of the I…

4 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Agent of the I… on July 19, 2019

It wasn't just the very ending of Lost, the last 2 or 3 episodes, that was disappointing but the whole flash-sideways development. That was stupid. I'm not surprised many viewers are still confused about that, and it's relation to the main island story line. Even if you understand everything clearly, it still isn't good storytelling. All in all, I was entertained by the series, just letdown by the way things wrapped up.

jef costello

4 years 8 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on July 20, 2019

Derry girls, watched all the episodes, thought the end of the last one was a little cheesy. I did wonder if it relied too much on people being openly rude to each other for no reason.

And apparently Nowhere Fast didn't get ren ewed, which is a shame because that was very good

R Totale

4 years 7 months ago

Submitted by R Totale on August 16, 2019

Am currently on the second series of Fleabag, and it turns out there's a casting decision that makes the new series of Stranger Things really disconcerting if you've also watched some of Fleabag (or vice versa if you do it in the other order I guess).

Noah Fence

4 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on August 17, 2019

I loved Fleabag though I know there was someone on here that was less than impressed. What did you think?

R Totale

4 years 7 months ago

Submitted by R Totale on August 18, 2019

I'm enjoying it, but I can see why it might be a bit posh for some people, guess I'd recommend to people who like Peep Show or Bojack?

Noah Fence

4 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on August 19, 2019

Posh?!!! I don’t see that at all which I guess makes me posh? Excellent!!!
Considering this I’d recommend Steptoe and Son to restore your equilibrium.

Auld-bod

4 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Auld-bod on August 19, 2019

Watched the first series of Fleabag and enjoyed it in a sort of bitter sweet way.
Better for belly laughs is the ‘Upstart Crow’, with the delightful Harry Enfield as John Shakespear – a true role model if you’re without a water closet.

R Totale

4 years 7 months ago

Submitted by R Totale on August 19, 2019

I mean, I'm definitely liking it, but I also thought this article made some solid points: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/9kp43a/mental-health-tv-fleabag-middle-class
Never actually seen Steptoe & Son, and hadn't even heard of the Upstart Crow. For what it's worth, Derry Girls and Chewing Gum would be my recommendations for proper proley recent British comedies that are also good.

jef costello

4 years 7 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on August 22, 2019

Gameface - the first episode you pmight worry it is another show about unsuccesful actors for a bit, but it turns out to be very funny, there is a second season that I haven't watched yet.

Serge Forward

4 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on August 24, 2019

Watched the first couple of Fleabag episodes but found it all a bit meh... and posh!

Craftwork

4 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Craftwork on August 25, 2019

American Factory on Netflix depicting the culture clash when a Chinese company opens a large factory in Ohio, and the struggle for unionisation.

cactus9

4 years 1 month ago

Submitted by cactus9 on February 20, 2020

Good program on iplayer called Amazon: What They Know About Us. I'd recommend it, especially if you have an Alexa, although I'd assume most people (everyone) here are sensible enough not to.

Lucky Black Cat

4 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Lucky Black Cat on February 20, 2020

Craftwork

American Factory on Netflix depicting the culture clash when a Chinese company opens a large factory in Ohio, and the struggle for unionisation.

Haven't seen it yet but the film won an Oscar and the director, Julia Reichert, said the following in her acceptance speech:

Our film is from Ohio and China ... But it really could be from anywhere that people put on a uniform, punch a clock, trying to make their families have a better life. Working people have it harder and harder these days. And we believe that things will get better when workers of the world unite.

Fuck yeah.

The quote was repeated in various news articles covering the Oscars. A small but good thing for this statement reach such a humongous audience.

cactus9

4 years 1 month ago

Submitted by cactus9 on February 22, 2020

Quite good series of programs on iplayer about Universal Credit.

Lucky Black Cat

4 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Lucky Black Cat on February 23, 2020

I recently finished The Good Place. A fun little sitcom but what makes it unique is they mix in philosophy, ethics, and other Big Questions. The last few episodes of the series are deeply satisfying. One of the best-ended shows in TV history.

Noah Fence

4 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on February 23, 2020

Lucky Black Cat

I recently finished The Good Place. A fun little sitcom but what makes it unique is they mix in philosophy, ethics, and other Big Questions. The last few episodes of the series are deeply satisfying. One of the best-ended shows in TV history.

I only watched around three or four episodes and I thought it was truly fucking awful. Just sayin’!

Noah Fence

4 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on February 24, 2020

Just started this, American Factory I mean - I’m excited!

jef costello

4 years 1 month ago

Submitted by jef costello on February 23, 2020

Lucky Black Cat

I really liked it, but I thought the last ten seconds was unnecessary. One of my favourite recent shows.

cactus9

4 years 1 month ago

Submitted by cactus9 on February 23, 2020

The Good Place was great up to a certain point and then it just became incredibly shite.

Noah Fence

4 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on February 24, 2020

cactus9

The Good Place was great up to a certain point and then it just became incredibly shite.

Agree, and that certain point was the end of the opening titles!!!

R Totale

4 years 1 month ago

Submitted by R Totale on February 25, 2020

I like the Good Place, although I haven't got up to the last ten seconds yet - have reached the last episode but it was too long for my attention span so I've put off watching the very end for now. I respect the fact that they were able to keep it interesting despite having to switch things up a great deal since the starting premise. I do think there's a bit of a tendency for shows that are very focused on showing the characters' personal growth to lose the spark a bit as they go on (thinking mainly of Parks and Rec here, arguably Broad City to an extent too), and the last series of the Good Place could probably be criticised for that, but I suppose the last few episodes are kind of an attempt to deliberately and consciously grapple with the problem.
Was a bit late on this one, but one of the best things I've been watching recently is Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, would recommend very highly, could maybe be compared to Bojack Horseman?

Lucky Black Cat

4 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Lucky Black Cat on February 27, 2020

Noah Fence

cactus9

Agree, and that certain point was the end of the opening titles!!!

This made me laugh out loud. You get my upvote, good sir. But others here like the show so I'm in good company.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend -- just watched the trailer. Seems fun!

My favorite show of all time is Six Feet Under. No spoilers!!! -- I happen to know that someone on this thread is 3/4 way through the final season.