What are you listening to now?

885 posts / 0 new
Last post
Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Jun 7 2019 10:04

I don’t remember hearing any Puerto Rican music before.
Recorded in 1935, based on events from 1932. Composed by Lolito Guzman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcxTjSczR10

Estan Tirando Bombas (They Are Throwing Bombs)

They are throwing bombs,
they are throwing bombs,
they are throwing bombs,
in the City of San Juan.

People, I’m going to tell you
about the island of Puerto Rico.
The people with some wealth
want to finish off the poor people.

Etc.

Uncreative's picture
Uncreative
Jun 8 2019 22:17

Does anyone still have "Demanding the impossible" by Skribbo (and doonhamer, the being, scatabrainz, butterscotch, etc, various scottish hip hop people)? I got it off bandcamp as a benefit for Freedom back when it was most recently firebombed, but now (several computers later) the bandcamp doesn't work. There were a few tracks on there that really id be pretty sad to never hear again.

Also, anyone know what happened to Comrade Malone?

cactus9
Jun 14 2019 19:13

Phoebe Bridgers - Motion Sickness

R Totale's picture
R Totale
Jun 16 2019 16:28

I still have a copy, never actually liked it that much though - as the "benefit albums for longstanding pieces of UK anarchist infrastructure" genre goes, I much prefer the 1 in 12 fundraiser that came out a few years back. Feels a bit weird to be sharing something designed as a fundraiser, but I guess if the bandcamp's down then Freedom isn't going to be making any money from it anyway. Here you go. What tracks from it would you say are standouts?

A bit late to be recommending this when their UK tour is probably mostly over by now, but if people like folky stuff, especially that kind of Appalachian style, then you might like Cinder Well. At least one member used to be in Blackbird Raum if that means anything to people, think Cinder Well are a bit more "straight-up" folk though.

In just general fun energetic rock music, Dream Wife are kind of infectiously joyous, might be comparable in some ways to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs or Elastica maybe?

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Jun 22 2019 08:16

Read C.J. Sanson’s ‘Winter In Madrid’, some time ago, as I’d liked his entertaining ‘Shardlake’ series. So from the public library borrowed and listened to the Madrid book in audio form.

It’s good for bedtime listening. The story owes a debt to Hemingway and leCarrié - set in 1940, an ‘honourable public schoolboy’, Harry Brett, is recruited by the secret service to help ensure Franco remains neutral. Things get complicated.

6 CDs spun out over 6 nights, with starving Spain being crushed and exploited. Of interest though not brilliant.

shyamk85
Jun 25 2019 04:44

Africa song by ar rahman for the movie mariyaan

Agent of the International's picture
Agent of the In...
Jul 2 2019 15:01

Titanic Rising by Weyes Blood is incredible, especially the second and third tracks.

Agent of the International's picture
Agent of the In...
Jul 2 2019 15:21

Not a recommendation but music related - I've found this cool infographic (released as a poster) called the Alternative Love Blueprint. It maps out the entire history of alternative music. It doesn't include everyone you can possibly think of but it's comprehensive as far as including the most significant acts within the umbrella category of 'alternative'. It's useful in helping you find other artists you may want to spend time listening. So e.g. Arcade Fire is located near Neutral Milk Hotel, if you like the former, then you may like the latter.

WeirdoQuierdo907's picture
WeirdoQuierdo907
Jul 3 2019 04:35

Rage against the machine

zugzwang
Aug 5 2019 07:50

Bowie - sound and vision

https://youtu.be/2XibKZMjt-Q

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Aug 5 2019 15:58

‘Never any good’ - Martin Simpson live 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1yK96KKoQQ

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Aug 10 2019 11:05

De Danann - Galway To Graceland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSfE-Rd1m8g

This is a gentle version of the song unlike Richard Thompson’s neurotic original.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Aug 10 2019 19:32

John Coltrane Stellar Regions - my baby loves this, she can't concentrate on her meals if it is playing.
Art Blakey and the Jazz MEssengers - Loanin' one of my favourite albums ever.
The cranberries every body ... Was watching Derry Girls so got all cranberries nostalgic. Turns out I knew four whole songs !

zugzwang
Sep 20 2019 04:18

Dekker - "Israelites"