What do you think of the UK?

97 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 23 2016 12:57
fidel gastro wrote:
What do I think of the UK? Very conformist and conservative, class system going stronger than ever before. Very sexist and xenophobic. Too many buns, too much sportswear, crudeness, very uneducated unrefined sheeple. A rich culture (Keats, Shelley, Byron, Wilde, Russell) neglected and ignored by most of the British public who much prefer the X Factor, Facebook etc. I guess it's not always the case but on the whole thats what the people are like. The most popular newspapers being the Daily Mail and the Sun. A working class that are their own worst enemy. The ale houses and countryside are nice though, as is the national dish (being curry ofcourse).

See also: elitist twats.

(Unless your post was being ironic in a way I didn't get)

fidel gastro
May 23 2016 13:25
Steven. wrote:
fidel gastro wrote:
What do I think of the UK? Very conformist and conservative, class system going stronger than ever before. Very sexist and xenophobic. Too many buns, too much sportswear, crudeness, very uneducated unrefined sheeple. A rich culture (Keats, Shelley, Byron, Wilde, Russell) neglected and ignored by most of the British public who much prefer the X Factor, Facebook etc. I guess it's not always the case but on the whole thats what the people are like. The most popular newspapers being the Daily Mail and the Sun. A working class that are their own worst enemy. The ale houses and countryside are nice though, as is the national dish (being curry ofcourse).

Nope- I'm being serious. It's never elitist to better yourself, or to learn- the more one learns the better. I think Jeremy Corbyn's National Education Service is a bloody good idea, much needed by the majority of the British public.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
May 23 2016 13:10

Go on Fidel, get stuck in son!!!

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 23 2016 13:12
fidel gastro wrote:
Steven. wrote:
fidel gastro wrote:

Nope- I'm being serious. It's never elitist to better yourself.

but it is elitist to think that the pinnacle of UK culture is a handful of dead white blokes. Jesus Christ. Or to look down on people are using Facebook (like that means anything about anyone's cultural tastes?!) or watching the X factor.

If "bettering yourself" means being an up yourself ball bag, then I'll stay where I am, thanks

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
May 23 2016 13:23
fidel gastro wrote:

You are Mrs Bucket and I claim my £5!

I've always held the view that instead of rising above our class, we should aim to rise with our class...

...admittedly, there might be a bit of a wait.

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
May 23 2016 13:25

Fidel #33

I think we can all get better informed, educated, call it what you will.

Why hold other (working class) people in contempt? To claim the British working class are their own worst enemy (and you presumably have transcended it) is elitist. Bettering yourself is good - inferring you’re better than the common herd is crap politics.

petey
May 23 2016 13:31

i've visited england twice and enjoyed it very well. on the second occasion i gave a paper at cambridge, spent the week in the town, of those 7 days, it rained 6. england!

Steven. wrote:
I love the US, and go there as much as I can. However there is no way I would want to live there and be a worker (long hours, no holidays, insecurity, shit healthcare).

i've worked almost my entire life on at-will contracts, and on the two occasions when i had a union, and in both cases needed protection, they did absolutely nothing.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 23 2016 13:32

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
May 23 2016 13:50

Libcom is just ace at the moment.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 23 2016 13:51
petey wrote:
i've visited england twice and enjoyed it very well. on the second occasion i gave a paper at cambridge, spent the week in the town, of those 7 days, it rained 6. england!

hmmm "at Cambridge" or in Cambridge? Ha ha

Quote:
Steven. wrote:
I love the US, and go there as much as I can. However there is no way I would want to live there and be a worker (long hours, no holidays, insecurity, shit healthcare).

i've worked almost my entire life on at-will contracts, and on the two occasions when i had a union, and in both cases needed protection, they did absolutely nothing.

yeah, America sucks

radicalgraffiti
May 23 2016 13:56

Its cold and gray and everything costs to much

Schmoopie's picture
Schmoopie
May 23 2016 14:50

Steven:

Quote:
Ed, one of the libcom admins, moved to Italy (where amusingly, Tennants and Special Brew are sold as the equivalent of fancy Trappist beers in the UK)

Even stranger, in Holland White Lightning® is venerated in this manner.

If you drink Special Brew® in combination with smoking Cheddar Cheese® laced with Golden Virginia® it has the amusing effect of making you walk directly backwards. It's fun - try it! But only in Holland - it's illegal in the UK.

Fidel Gastro:

Quote:
...Keats, Shelley, Byron, Wilde, Morris, Russell...

Surely not Bertrand Russell?

jef costello's picture
jef costello
May 23 2016 14:54

They had a special guest beer in the alternative bar I went to yesterday.

Fosters.

Super T is rank, it's like awful beer with cough medicine in it. A mate of mine used to drink it, he spilled a bit on the floor one night and it stripped off the varnish.

A lot of people drink quite a lot here and public drunkeness is more common than it used to be, but in general people still drink less when out. I don't think I've ever seen a french person have more than five drinks in a night.

at Cambridge would mean at the uni, in would mean somewhere in the city.

wojtek
May 23 2016 15:07

I'm glad English is my native language, less so of how easy it is to be lazy/arrogant and stay monolingual.
When I was in Thailand, my relatives were envious of the idyllic Thai weather unlike my new Thai friends who preferred the four seasons and SNOW im Britain. I opt for Thai weather. The grass is always greener i suppose.

A czech colleague said that though she got lost, she likes all the attached brown houses that are unique to this country.

S. Artesian
Jul 15 2017 03:30

Removed in protest of Libcom policies allowing posting of texts by racists

Schmoopie's picture
Schmoopie
May 23 2016 15:22

Oh, Parson Jack Russell – the famous dog breeder. That's ok then.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
May 23 2016 18:02
Quote:
Super T is rank

My god, I thought I'd seen it all on this website, animal abuse, rape play and chief knows what else given the Libcom thumbs up, but this appalling blasphemy goes too far.

Stormfront, I'm on my way!

factvalue
May 23 2016 20:05

fidel gastro wrote:

Quote:
I think Jeremy Corbyn's National Education Service is a bloody good idea, much needed by the majority of the British public.

Absolutely, bring back national service by all means. Bertrand Russell proposed that the state should issue colour-coded "procreation tickets" to prevent the gene pool of the elite being diluted by inferior human beings. Putting down our class has been the national pastime for fucking centuries, sure away and read a book.

Fleur
May 23 2016 20:07

Don't miss it, never coming back.

petey
May 23 2016 20:12
Steven. wrote:
hmmm "at Cambridge" or in Cambridge? Ha ha

grrrrrrrrrrr

jef costello wrote:
at Cambridge would mean at the uni

newnham college exactly

infektfm
May 23 2016 20:16

All I know is that

BBC > US public tv

cactus9
May 23 2016 21:25

Blatantly shitter than the rest of Europe.

fidel gastro
May 24 2016 18:33
Steven. wrote:
fidel gastro wrote:
Steven. wrote:
fidel gastro wrote:

but it is elitist to think that the pinnacle of UK culture is a handful of dead white blokes. Jesus Christ. Or to look down on people are using Facebook (like that means anything about anyone's cultural tastes?!) or watching the X factor.

If "bettering yourself" means being an up yourself ball bag, then I'll stay where I am, thanks

could only think of emma goldman, lucy parsons and maria spiridonova and voltarine de cleyre at the time. None of them were british. Have thought of one since, ethel mcdonald. Wether she made well known and significant contributions to british culture and literature though i'm not sure. I guess i was thinking mainly of literature.

fidel gastro
May 24 2016 18:43

I guess my view of the uk is more of the part of it where i am and not necessarily the whole of the uk.

wojtek
May 31 2016 06:15

What's the argument against progressive patriotism again?

Ed's picture
Ed
May 31 2016 08:46

Dunno about Britain but this video is basically a four-minute guide to what England looks/feels like:

I actually find it pretty hard to describe the UK outside of London but in general, I would say:

Negatives
Weather is miserable 9/12 months
The food is shite
People are way too deferential to rules and generally a bit cynical
We prefer to put up with shit than 'make a scene' (whatever you do, don't make a scene!)
[South-East, esp London] We're unfriendly and passive-aggressive
More like America than the rest of Europe
While living abroad I also found out that basically everyone in Europe considers us to be dirty

Positives
We've got a great drinking culture (go drinking in Sweden or Italy and you'll see what I mean)
English breakfasts
Queuing
People here are hands down the funniest in the world
More like Europe than America

Ed's picture
Ed
May 31 2016 08:58
fidel gastro wrote:
could only think of emma goldman, lucy parsons and maria spiridonova and voltarine de cleyre at the time. None of them were british. Have thought of one since, ethel mcdonald. Wether she made well known and significant contributions to british culture and literature though i'm not sure. I guess i was thinking mainly of literature.

I know right, can't think of any women or non-white people who made "well known and significant contributions to british culture and literature".. WTF?

Champion Ruby
May 31 2016 09:34

Well, I'm Australian. There's a lot in common between Australia and the UK; like I don't get either country's obsession with the monarchy and cooking shows. Generally speaking I found the UK to be a lot more unfriendly than other countries I've visited though, seems like there's some sort of ingrained cynicism that makes me glad that my great-grandparents left. I spent a few months in Glasgow and was pretty eager to leave, went to Amsterdam and felt my mood lift considerably. The surveillance state was overwhelming, makes Stalinist countries like Vietnam actually feel like the worker's utopias they make themselves out to be. I did like the worn-in feel to the place though, we lack that in Australia, no real sense of connection to the past. I was impressed by the activist scene too, real up and at 'em attitude I haven't seen for a while in Australia, not since the hey-day of blockades about 15 years back. Oh yeah, what's with all the fucking Fosters? That stuff's only become available here recently and noone buys it.

Agent of the International's picture
Agent of the In...
May 31 2016 12:44
Steven. wrote:

What is a 'holiday'?

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
May 31 2016 15:59

Agent - it's a vacation.