Your favourite things on libcom in the last 10 years?

Submitted by Steven. on September 9, 2013

So, we're writing a 10th birthday blog post for later this month, with some highlights of the last 10 years in it.

So just thought I would ask you lot if you had any particular best bits, either favourite articles, features, forum discussions, comments, photoshops or anything else from our ten-year history so far, to potentially incorporate them into the article.

So, any thoughts?

Shorty

10 years 6 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Shorty on September 9, 2013

Some of Wayne's short stories.

http://libcom.org/library/adventures-username-2045-ad
http://libcom.org/library/making-anarchist

rat

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by rat on September 9, 2013

The hundreds of biographies of revolutionary anarchists that Battlescared has on Libcom. He writes them faster than I can read them.

Agent of the I…

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Agent of the I… on September 9, 2013

When I first joined libcom.org, the first threads I jumped on was the epic battles libcom posters were having with wacky ancaps/mutualists. As hard as it may have been, their still memorable.

Mr. Jolly

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Mr. Jolly on September 9, 2013

Spandau Ballet

omen

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by omen on September 9, 2013

All the Free Passports and Fake IDs threads!

Khawaga

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on September 9, 2013

The gun show.

syndicalist

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by syndicalist on September 9, 2013

It's evolution. It's library. The periodic good conversation with like minded (and not so like minded) comrades.

Choccy

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Choccy on September 9, 2013

Organise vs WSM - 'here is a WSM link'
THE GUN SHOW - 'booking flights now'
Spandau Ballet - 'we are tall but we always believe tat we are small'
John Hedley and the FEBRUARY 2010 WORLD REVOLUTION - 'if you build it they will come'
THE OUTLAW - 'a fucking march'
Xtranormal - 'as you can see, his crimes are real'
FULL LONSDALE, FULL ARMY

But na, the best part is meeting a lot of very solid an decent comrades and all the interesting, infuriating and funny conversations on and off forum, plus learning a shitload of stuff.
GOOD WORK LIBCOM

Choccy

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Choccy on September 9, 2013

Oh, who could forget 'let's not lose our heads'

Devrim

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Devrim on September 9, 2013

The bit where the loon challenged Steven to a dual with swords was pretty funny.
Devrim

omen

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by omen on September 9, 2013

Really? Who won?

snipfool

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by snipfool on September 10, 2013

The best bit was Aufhebengate.

edit: sorry, that was meant to be a joke.

Khawaga

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on September 9, 2013

Ah man, I had forgotten about so many of those. Libcom's Fort Knox right there.

Harrison

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Harrison on September 10, 2013

Wayne's making of an anarchist

the fictional 'beyond the future' conference
http://libcom.org/library/beyond-the-future-esf

snipfool

10 years 6 months ago

I miss LBird.

OliverTwister

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by OliverTwister on September 10, 2013

Khawaga

The gun show.

It's a classic.

Agent of the I…

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Agent of the I… on September 10, 2013

Railyon

bastarx

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by bastarx on September 10, 2013

Those guys who pretty much only posted on libcommunity and then disappeared once their bad behavior became public. Specifically x and his racist article about the 2011 UK riots and Boris Badenov and his scabbing.

admin: name removed

Juan Conatz

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Juan Conatz on September 10, 2013

-When we were getting regular updates from a blogger in Greece, was that taxipali or something like that?

-THE GUN SHOW

-The huge Occupy thread when things first kicking off, same with the #wiunion thread

-The discussion around Strategy & Struggle

-The numerous IWW/WSA/CNT/IWA shitfest threads, which despite their venom, are some of the only English language resources for information on a lot of this stuff

syndicalist

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by syndicalist on September 10, 2013

Juan Conatz

-
-The numerous IWW/WSA/CNT/IWA shitfest threads, which despite their venom, are some of the only English language resources for information on a lot of this stuff

Thumbs up.

Chilli Sauce

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on September 10, 2013

"Full Communism"

"Techo-communism"

The top 10 lists, the yearly libcom awards, and the best of worst.

The introductory guides.

Some of the anti-libcom propaganda - libcop, libcon, and that amazing graphic showing libcom being linked to the police, the academy, etc.

The primmo debates.

That poster from last year, can't remember their name, who made those awesome cartoons.

The libcom exoduses - the IWW, the ICC, L&S

Also, the GUN SHOW.

Entdinglichung

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Entdinglichung on September 10, 2013

the good: really brilliant resources like the above-mentioned biographies, the scanned Solidarity stuff, radical scholarly material, the East Asian class struggle updates, in the forums some good exchanges about history

the bad: self-righteousness stuff like everybody non-revolutionary except myself and my neighbours, some trolls, friends of Hakim Bey, Death in June, etc.

and the ugly: nihilist(s) communists, the outlaw (and his mother), ...

and the hilarious: some of the threads at libcommunity like http://libcom.org/forums/libcommunity/cool-shit-you-look-forward-post-revolution-18062012 and http://libcom.org/forums/news/communist-left-no33-january-june-2013-04032013

Devrim

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Devrim on September 10, 2013

The libcom exoduses - the IWW, the ICC, L&S

And previous to that for those who have been here longer, Class War, and the platformists.

Devrim

omen

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by omen on September 10, 2013

Chilli Sauce

Some of the anti-libcom propaganda - libcop, libcon, and that amazing graphic showing libcom being linked to the police, the academy, etc.

You mean this one done by Harrison? Yeah, I liked that too.

[edit: oh, no that's the libcop one. I think I know the one you mean - can't find that though.]

edit2: Got it now, the one here? I seemed to recall that it was a joke graphic - but it turns out it wasn't! :eek:

Chilli Sauce

That poster from last year, can't remember their name, who made those awesome cartoons.

Yeah, he was great! I wonder whatever happened to him?

Steven.

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on September 10, 2013

omen

Really? Who won?

who's still here?

omen

10 years 6 months ago

You say that, but he could have killed you and taken your place. That would explain an awful lot, you know... ;)

Devrim

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Devrim on September 10, 2013

Steven.

omen

Really? Who won?

who's still here?

The cowardly cad who refused to defend Libcom's honour in a manly clash of blades perhaps? ;)

Devrim

bastarx

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by bastarx on September 10, 2013

bastarx

Those guys who pretty much only posted on libcommunity and then disappeared once their bad behavior became public. Specifically x and his racist article about the 2011 UK riots and Boris Badenov and his scabbing.

Why are you hiding this racist piece of shit journalist's name? Are you lot still mates with him?

snipfool

10 years 6 months ago

Loads of really old topics have been coming up in the recent posts page the last couple of days, with no apparent new posts or edits. Is this something to do with the upcoming anniversary blog post?

Steven.

10 years 6 months ago

bastarx

bastarx

Why are you hiding this racist piece of shit journalist's name? Are you lot still mates with him?

the name was removed for confidentiality reasons, not because of anyone being "mates". For what it's worth, while that article was appalling, and I got in a big argument with him on Facebook about it, it wasn't racist, just crap. Anyway, this is derailing, no further derailing posts will be permitted on this thread.
snipfool

Loads of really old topics have been coming up in the recent posts page the last couple of days, with no apparent new posts or edits. Is this something to do with the upcoming anniversary blog post?

yes, these were threads in our old archive, mostly for containing good "libcommunity moments". These were hidden when we unpublished old threads en masse but shouldn't have been so have now been re-published which temporarily bumps them up the tracker.

It's brought back some good memories rereading them. Unfortunately we cannot republish THE GUN SHOW thread due to it containing too many real names to go through and redact them all (unless someone like choccy wants to do this!)

wojtek

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on September 10, 2013

bulmer

Steven.

10 years 6 months ago

BTW omen would you be able to add your "Anarchy adventures of Comrade Appleton" to our gallery here? And tag it "libcommunity"? Would be good to preserve it for posterity

boozemonarchy

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by boozemonarchy on September 10, 2013

:twisted: All the trolls that have been banned, we should make a graphic with their user names crossed out in blood cause the banhammer will fuck you up.

:oops: My first thread on libcom complaining about how authoritarian Makhno was and getting shut the fuck down in about 2 minutes. That was good for me.

:kropotkin: The library grows every year, including the last 10 of course, so yea, thats always neat.

8-) All the folks who pop in briefly to ask the anarchos about a situation at their work. I always find this to be pretty neat and I'm always proud with how everyone responds and I always learn something with those.

:eek: iexists dad.

omen

10 years 6 months ago

Steven.

BTW omen would you be able to add your "Anarchy adventures of Comrade Appleton" to our gallery here? And tag it "libcommunity"? Would be good to preserve it for posterity

Done! I even cobbled together a quick introductory image especially for the gallery. Hope you like it!

Hieronymous

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Hieronymous on September 10, 2013

[revised]

Not long before the "gun show" episode, the guy in question was admitted to a psych ward for attempted suicide. He had been abused in a dysfunctional family and developed serious substance abuse problems and was clearly mentally ill. That's all that needs being said.

Khawaga

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on September 10, 2013

Oh my fucking god., Hieronymous, how on earth is anyone supposed to know that? While sure, it was clear from the gun show thread that not all was right with the person, you know it's a bit difficult to scrye a poster's history from their posts.

Ramona

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Ramona on September 10, 2013

No Crack FIx Propaganda yet?!

http://libcom.org/forums/archives/crack-fix-propaganda-a-work-of-fan-fiction

Steven.

10 years 6 months ago

Ramona

No Crack FIx Propaganda yet?!

http://libcom.org/forums/archives/crack-fix-propaganda-a-work-of-fan-fiction

ha ha yes I was thinking of him as well. Did you see he came back seven years later and posted again?
http://libcom.org/forums/libcommunity/crackfix-propaganda-hilarious-end-29032011

sabot

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by sabot on September 10, 2013

Former posters I used to enjoy following, but no longer post here really:
Boris Badenov, W*#@l%r, Yorkie Bar, Thugarchist, gypsy, revol68, jesuithitsquad, Tojiah, THE OUTLAW

Fav. threads:
http://libcom.org/forums/libcom-wobblies/interview-w-iww-barista-alex-van-schaick-andrej-grubacic-z-magazine (removed apparently)

libertarian communist shoot'm up video game thread

Xtranormal thread

Fav. thing about libcom:
the library

Edit: Jeez, almost forgot about The Button, PartyBucket ,Refused, Jacques Roux, Knightrose, bubbles and ....ugh too many to list

Noah Fence

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on September 10, 2013

Shit man, I've been wasting my life, some of the stuff I was missing is genius!
Wayne's true anarchist test is a fucking stormer! My answers were a pretty even mix from all categories - I need to see my healer about my identity crisis, or maybe just kick the shit out of a toff!
One of my faves in the short time I've been here was a thread that included a report by Nannernannernan about the last stand of Comrade Appletons shitposting ancaps which told of me being seen off in the great battle of 'I'm a fucking troll'. Brilliant.
What's happened to Nanner? Anyone heard from him lately? I PMd him but got no reply.

Steven.

10 years 6 months ago

Personal highlights of mine have been, on a more serious note:
- Our coverage of the anti--CPE struggle in France
- Red Marriott's coverage of Nepal and Bangladeshi garment workers
- Battlescarred's history articles
- Sam Lowry's history articles
- Alias Recluse's translations
- taxikipali's Greece coverage (it's a real shame she/he disappeared)
- the Processed World archive by ludd
- everything posted by Reddebrek and Juan Conatz
- The initial founding of the library by absorbing the endpage archive and all the work done by users like Grace, can't do etc in copying it over

and a lot more stuff than I can probably remember right now.

On a sillier note, favourite moments include:
- Wayne and revol and CAG versus Yrwelying, nuclearcivvy, gangster etc back in the day, including Wayne's short stories
- the Class War guy saying "where's the proof that smoking harms your baby?!"
- The February 2010 revolution thread with Glorious Leader John Hadley
- the class analysis of Anarch
- the revolutionary fervour of Crack Fix Propaganda and Shaggy 2 Dopes and THE OUTLAW
- the photo shopping of the guy with the over-inflated scrotum onto the photo of the Stalinist holding up a picture of Stalin

Chilli Sauce

10 years 6 months ago

Steven.

Ah, yeah, it was Omen who made the awesome cartoons.

In general, libcom comedy visuals have been classic. Anything put into graph/Venn diagram form is reliably upworthy.

Also, when it comes to great libcom posters, I feel like Nate needs a shout out.

Steven.

10 years 6 months ago

And how could I forget, Everything ever posted by Nick Durie!

Spassmaschine

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Spassmaschine on September 10, 2013

Steven.

over-inflated scrotum

What, then, is a reasonable level of inflation?

Chilli Sauce

10 years 6 months ago

Libcom's greatest moment has to be exposing the Che/dolphin link to the world ;)

The working class cinema guide deserves a mention.

I lament the loss of the taglines. I realize they often existed as a low-level form of bullying, but they were damn funny.

Croy

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Croy on September 10, 2013

Even though I don't know most of the incidents listed reading this thread still made me chuckle. I am most intrigued as to here what happened with iexists dad ?

My highlights include EVERYTHING I EVER DID ON MY BLOG EVER WHY HAS NO ONE MENTIONED ME, I WON THE BEST NEW POSTED AWARD GOD DAMN IT. LOVE ME.

No but in seriousness, here are some that range from lulz to sentimentality

Lenin Cat. Fucking top notch humour. No sarcasm in that sentence at all.
The limited but positive responses I got from my blogs, especially the first post on that twat David Tinney.
The general dismantling of any ancaps
Choccy's consistently healthy, passionate and often hilarious rage at the policies of Michael Gove in the education reports.
The life and times of Comrade Appleton in his stay
Being shot the fuck down for my sexism on the slutwalk thread, helped me get rid some of that patriarchal programming
Getting messaged by noodlehead about Croydon Solfed which resulted in becoming great friends with him as we are to this day. He is a great dude on a political level (though we don't agree all the time) and on a personal level too, probably even moreso with the latter
Being invited to Chilli Sauces' leaving do before he went to America. I couldn't make it but it was just humbling as fuck.
Full communism.

Steven.

10 years 6 months ago

Spassmaschine

Steven.

over-inflated scrotum

a pint.

omen

10 years 6 months ago

Steven.

- the photo shopping of the guy with the over-inflated scrotum onto the photo of the Stalinist holding up a picture of Stalin

Holy crap! :eek: You're not going to believe me, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it was me wot did that (the photoshopping, not the scrotum inflating) in a former life.

Fleur

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Fleur on September 10, 2013

Firstly, love out to Croydonian - no that wasn't needy at all ;) - I've noticed that you haven't been around much recently, hope everything's OK - you haven't been turned by your UKIP mate, have you?

Spassmaschine wrote:
Steven. wrote:
over-inflated scrotum

Well, according to the Guardian science correspondent -
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/sep/09/testicle-size-men-childcare-aptitude-parenting-us

I haven't been around that long, and I've obviously missed out on some top notch political discourse. I really wish I was around for the primmo debates.

On a more serious note, the library's great and is always a great resource for spending my time when I know I have something else that I ought to be doing.
I also think that Libcom's a pretty welcoming site, even when people wander in, mistaking the place for a lefty-liberal site, folks are pretty patient with their arguments. Occasionally, it's nice not to reinforce stereotypes that we are all a bunch of baby-eating bomb-flingers, with poor personal hygiene issues. Occasionally, that is.

edit: could people just drop the Che/dolphin thing for a while? Every time I see someone in a Che t shirt now, I just think "poor flipper."

omen

10 years 6 months ago

Found it! Prepare for a trip down memory lane...

Steven.

10 years 6 months ago

omen

Found it! Prepare for a trip down memory lane...

holy shit I found Nemo!

Mate, lots of people have asked about you over the years, we wondered where you went! Good to see you still about, and that your graphic skills have got even better!

(Also I seem to recall you had some techie skills, is that right? We always need help with stuff!)

Edited to add: we saved a slightly altered version someone did in the gallery: http://libcom.org/gallery/libcommunity-image-gallery

omen

10 years 6 months ago

Steven.

holy shit I found Nemo!

Steven.

Mate, lots of people have asked about you over the years, we wondered where you went! Good to see you still about, and that your graphic skills have got even better!

Thanks. Nice to be missed, I guess. (And I know what your old user name was, from when I was here before, BTW.)

Steven.

Also I seem to recall you had some techie skills, is that right?

Errr... Very, very, limited. I can put the kettle on, if that'll help?

Steven.

Edited to add: we saved a slightly altered version someone did in the gallery

Yeah, but technically I beat the other guy to it by a whole 7 minutes. :roll:

andr00

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by andr00 on September 10, 2013

I was a fan of the libcommunity christmas cards, anything having to do with FULL COMMUNISM, and the libcom vs. parecon bit

Mark.

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Mark. on September 10, 2013

rata

Chilli Sauce

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on September 11, 2013

Lumpen's avatar. Seriously, I can't tell you how many times I've stared at laughed at that thing for a whole five minutes.

JK's blogs.

On a personal note, having my libcom blogs picked up so that one got translated into Portuguese and another got a response from Joe Burns.

Also, agree about Office Angels and Parecon v. libcom. Two of the best.

the button

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by the button on September 11, 2013

This is my favourite of the many threads I've started on here:

http://libcom.org/forums/libcommunity/will-jack-still-have-playstation-after-revolution

In a reversal of the normal order of things, it starts off as a joke thread and then becomes a serious (albeit ill-tempered) discussion about work in a post-revolutionary society, aided by the mighty oisleep, who I realise now I haven't seen for a couple of years at least.

Other highlights would be:

* keeping a cool head
* Wayne's short stories, especially the fictional autobiography of an anarchist
* the revol68 "emo Hegel" image that was made into badges
* Redwatch posting up an image of Foucault and saying it was me
* meeting people that I hope will be lifelong friends and comrades

Choccy

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Choccy on September 11, 2013

snipfool

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by snipfool on September 11, 2013

the button

that's amazing!

plasmatelly

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by plasmatelly on September 11, 2013

the button

Reading this made me laugh for the first time this week! Bravo Red Watch! This surely will be included in RA's cv under Acheivements?

Agent of the I…

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Agent of the I… on September 11, 2013

It sounded so nice, you had to say it three times!

On favorite things:

Lenin Cat thread

Mr. Jolly

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Mr. Jolly on September 11, 2013

the button

If thats true then I salute you as having the coolest entry in the most hip place a lefty can be seen on.

Standfield

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Standfield on September 11, 2013

iexist

Red watch?

iexist

Red watch?

iexist

Red watch?

Alright, alright! I'll buy it, fucking hell!

Fleur

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Fleur on September 11, 2013

iexist:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redwatch

edit - don't go to their website, unless you're disguising your ISP.

omen

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by omen on September 11, 2013

Tweet their American friends!? :roll:

Seriously, use a proxy if you have to go there.

Fleur

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Fleur on September 12, 2013

They're probably unlikely to send the boys round, but it's best to avoid being traced by anyone. There's a lot of people on the internet with far too much time on their hands who are happy to make mischief for people. People have been outed to their schools/colleges/employers for their political opinions, as well as other things. It's just best to be careful.

Chilli Sauce

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on September 12, 2013

I always go with Hide My Ass (I live in a country with a hell of a lot of internet restrictions).

Chilli Sauce

10 years 6 months ago

Back to the OP...

The epic cup a' ladies thread (bring it back!).

Noah Fence

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on September 12, 2013

In my research a little while back I signed up to Stormfront. The were planning to meet in the mountains, eat hog roast and figure out how to eliminate jews. The stuff on there was pure poison but I did get a happy birthday message from them last week so I guess they're pretty nice guys really!

Chilli Sauce

10 years 6 months ago

Shit man! Did you give them your real name and birthdate!?

Noah Fence

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on September 12, 2013

Yep. What a dope.

Auld-bod

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Auld-bod on September 12, 2013

I thought ultraviolet’s http://libcom.org/forums/libcommunity/venting-our-despair-supporting-each-other-11122011 contained a lot of really excellent posts – so you’re not all a bunch of insensitive revolutionaries. ;)

snipfool

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by snipfool on September 12, 2013

On topic: One of my favourite things on libcom in the time I've been here was when Jim reassured me in his post above. Thanks Jim.

Agent of the I…

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Agent of the I… on September 12, 2013

What ever happened to ultraviolet? Did libcom scare her away after that animal-related thread?

Mr. Jolly

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Mr. Jolly on September 13, 2013

The many headed hydra that was the The Black Hand, Attica, Dave Douglass, REAL CL@SS W@R, Arthur Scargill and EP Thompson to name just a few of its guises.

bastos2008

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by bastos2008 on September 14, 2013

Thugarchist was cool
I had hoped the Libcom FPS game thread would give some good ideas to a videogame producing company but unfortunately it didn't ...
All that 'Big tent anarchism' non-sense with the infoshop.org dude was pretty funny too.

Love this website. Spending too much time on here for a very long time and never post anything ... Incredible library, history section and a very good forum with many good and funny posters. I'd love to see something like this in France ...

plasmatelly

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by plasmatelly on September 14, 2013

Mr. Jolly

The many headed hydra that was the The Black Hand, Attica, Dave Douglass, REAL CL@SS W@R, Arthur Scargill and EP Thompson to name just a few of its guises.

Favourite? You jest sir! Amusing, yes. Favourite, no!

Chilli Sauce

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on September 16, 2013

I think the post-Bookfair libcom drinks deserve a mention as does the Kill the Humans thread.

Agent of the I…

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Agent of the I… on September 16, 2013

Omen's three-part 'Capitalism Under the Dome' short story is definitely worth mentioning!

http://libcom.org/forums/general/under-dome-06092013

Alf

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Alf on September 21, 2013

Chilli included this among his highlights: The libcom exoduses - the IWW, the ICC, L&S

I can't speak for the IWW, but I find it hard to believe that all the Wobblies have gone. Perhaps you're just talking about the British ones?

Liberty and Solidarity I don't want to speak for.

But Exodus, in the Biblical sense, would imply
- that all the Children of Israel have gone on their way, leaving none behind (unless Moishe wisely left a few undercover agents to keep him informed about what the Pharonic regime was up to).
- that all the ICC comrades and sympathisers who rarely post here any more departed as if from a land of bondage, with joy in their hearts

It's a long story explaining why we don't do as much here as we used to, and it needs some thoughtful preparation.

But some of us are still here anyway.

Chilli Sauce

10 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on September 21, 2013

I know on libcom I always go with biblical definitions ;)